YesNoOk

SF3 M.Bison (Read 441271 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, February 22, 2017, 08:03:32 pm
Share this topic:
SF3 M.Bison
New #1  February 22, 2017, 08:03:32 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I started this SF3 M.Bison a while ago but have been sitting on the majority of the work, today I decided to share it. Hopefully this thread will help motivate me.

Everything here has been done using my SF3 Method outlined here. Below is a progress list that I’ll keep up to date. Though it’s not listed, most of his animations are at least started at this point.

SF3 Size reference.

A look at color separation.(This image is not indexed, I'm not accepting palettes.)

Completed:
————————————
-Small Portrait
-Large Portrait
-Stand
-Basic Movement
-Crouching Get Hits

Needs Touch-ups:
————————————
-Ground basic attacks
-Guards and parries
-Standing Get Hits
-Get Up
-Quick roll
-Chip KO

Todo:
————————————
Basic Attacks:
-Air basic attacks

Unique Attacks:
-Psycho Axe (SFV) df + HP
-Hell's Warp (knee attack) (SFV) ????
-Hell Attack (SFV) in-air MP MP
-Shadow Axe (SFV) MP df + HP
-Psycho Banish (CvS)

Special attacks:
-Bison Warp
-Psycho Blast (SFV) charge b,f + P
-EX Psycho Blast (SFV) charge b,f + P
-Double Knee Press charge b,f + K
-Head Press  charge d,u + K
    *Somersault Skull Diver (AFTER HEAD PRESS HIT) P
    *Devil Reverse (BEFORE HEAD PRESS HIT) P
-Psycho Inferno (SFV) (Projectile hitbox wall) qcb + P
-Psycho Fist (SFV)
-Psycho Crusher

Throws:
-Overhead Heave (CvS)
-Scissor Toss (CvS)
-Tobizaru (ibuki sf3) in-air LP + LK

Holds:
-Psycho Charge (SFV) (NEAR OPPONENT) hcb + K

Super Arts: (undecided)

Other:
-win
-time over
-intros
-taunts

Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 07:03:11 am by inktrebuchet
Re: SF3 M.Bison
#2  February 22, 2017, 08:17:30 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Have you ever thought of a Patreon? It could help. A donation button works too, I mean, SeanAltly and Balth have em, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get donations from those who follow/admire your work.

Good luck with Toro here, animations and lighting look phenomenal as usual.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This is a generic forum signature.
#3  February 22, 2017, 08:34:17 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Awesome stuff! :suttrox:

Wish there was something I could do to help you out, man. Like you said, responsibilities in life get in the way of highly involved fan-projects like these. A patreon definitely sounds like a good idea.
#4  February 23, 2017, 01:48:47 am
    • USA
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out Patreon.

Just started finalizing this one. I should be able to finish it up tonight if all goes well.
Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:18:01 pm by ink

GLB

#5  February 23, 2017, 01:51:42 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Very interesting idea, I dig it. I never really imagined how he'd look in SF3 style but I feel like you completely nailed it. Can't wait to see what else you can come up with on this one, man.

As for the motivation thing, I totally get where you're coming from. It's hard to stay motivated (especially in a situation like your career) I just work when I feel like it instead of forcing myself to finish something anymore. I truly don't know how spriters do all that tedious hard work, I commend you all, lol. But maybe a website showing off your artwork/sprites with a donation button? Commissions through and outside of Guild isn't a bad idea either, doesn't deviant art users pay often for sprites/scenery/etc?

I just know it's a serious talent and sure 2D fighters aren't really IN right now, but you're still an artist, there's plenty of options for you in real life. I hope you can find the motivation you're looking for.
Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:59:04 am by GLB
#6  February 23, 2017, 02:54:35 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
You ever finish strider?
#7  February 23, 2017, 02:58:50 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This is a generic forum signature.
#8  February 23, 2017, 03:19:28 am
    • USA
Just needs a palette swap and some touch ups.

As for the motivation thing, I totally get where you're coming from. It's hard to stay motivated (especially in a situation like your career) I just work when I feel like it instead of forcing myself to finish something anymore. I truly don't know how spriters do all that tedious hard work, I commend you all, lol. But maybe a website showing off your artwork/sprites with a donation button? Commissions through and outside of Guild isn't a bad idea either, doesn't deviant art users pay often for sprites/scenery/etc?

Thanks for these suggestions man!

Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:17:40 pm by ink
#9  February 23, 2017, 03:30:42 am
  • Da Champ is Here!
    • El Salvador
    • hdbcibrifb@gmail.com
    • benitez57.wix.com/mvcchamp
Man, I was hoping someone would make M. Bison into SF3 Style one day. I really like the SF3 inspired sprites there. Good job man.
#10  February 23, 2017, 03:39:30 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Your work is impressive!
Godspeed Ink, it's always pleasent to see your art.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#11  February 23, 2017, 03:48:24 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
That... that looks incredible, astonishing :D shame you arent accepting palettes but you may have your reasons and thats fine (plus that can be covered later on anyways).

Keep it up and good luck.
Chilling
#12  February 23, 2017, 05:00:44 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
I'm glad to see you back, ink. :) Bison's animations look really great here, but to me they don't look very accurate to SF3.

The animations all have a 3D look since there's not enough cel animation and there's too much sub-pixelling. Some characters suffered this issue in source (such as Elena), but it was only with a select few animations. All of Bison's stuff here looks 3D, and it really sticks out.

His outlines aren't thick enough. While you've used a couple of shades with anti-aliasing for the outlining, Ryu uses around 4 to 5 shades and the traditional pixel-on-pixel technique instead. The outlines also stand out way too much, whereas Ryu's blend much, much better. Adjusting Bison's default colors would also help a bit.

Bison could also do with some more color shades to soften the shadowing. His secondary shading tone sticks out way too much because there aren't enough colors to soften the impact.

I also think Bison is a couple of pixels too tall. Ryu and Bison always seemed to have very similar heights to each other in SF4, where here Bison is way taller.

Again, what you've shown here looks fantastic, but again it very accurate to the CPS3 style. Honestly, your Strider looked a lot more accurate to the CPS3 style than Bison does.

I wish you good luck with Bison nonetheless. I've always been a big fan of your work and you've inspired me a lot over the years to sprite in this style. :)
#13  February 23, 2017, 07:15:15 am
  • Raging Fist
Whoa... That is a very amazing version of Bison, and in SFIII Style no less! Sad there is no true template for him as of yet. I would have made some WONDERFUL palettes for him, maybe even see a sort of cameo story for him.
Is 2017 the Year of SFIII Revival now?
Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:19:30 am by Flowrellik
#14  February 23, 2017, 08:48:25 am
  • fuck me right in the street
    • USA
Perhaps
#15  February 23, 2017, 03:12:22 pm
    • USA
Thanks guys! I might provide a palette template in the future. I just need to make sure everything is accounted for first.

Thanks for the feedback man! I appropriate you pointing out your concerns. I will triple check everything and then get back to you with my findings. The majority of my studies were on almost every character but the Shotos. I'm convinced that the 3D nature of his animations is due to his armor and seeing them animated without warping.

Is 2017 the Year of SFIII Revival now?
I hope so! I hope you guys will check out the SF3 Juri project too, DelusionTrim is doing an amazing job. I know there is at least one other SF3 style characters in the works currently also.(not from SF)

Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:17:19 pm by ink
#16  February 23, 2017, 03:47:39 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Stunning work ink. I wish you best of luck with this amazing project.
#17  February 23, 2017, 08:38:29 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
Looking great Ink.
Spriting is hard.
#18  February 24, 2017, 03:59:22 pm
    • USA
Thanks guys!

I wanted to follow up on this. I checked over everything and I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of this. I will admit that these sprites could use some cleaning up, which is where that more bold outline comes from in some of the official SF3 sprites. I personally don't think that the Shotos are the best SF3 characters to compare work with, their color palettes seem more limited than others, and the shadows on their clothes use the lighter/secondary shadow instead of the darker, medium one.(this throws off a lot of sprite artists, including myself.) I have provided my reference on proper shading and the actual colors used for this character.

*I'll also note that I wouldn't use Remy as a reference either, he doesn't seem to follow a lot of the other SF3 sprites. Also, this Bison uses the max amount of shades per color that is used in SF3, I didn't see any reason to limit the color use.

As for the sub-pixels and anti-aliasing, that is a result of the method I am using. They could use some cleaning but I put together some proof that Capcom at the very least used a similar method. These were just grabbed at random. Odd out of place pixels can be found through out most SF3 sprites. Some are more cleaned up than others but there seems to be some trace of these in every character.

For the height of M.Bison, I went back and forth on that at the beginning. I'm really happy with his size currently, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on it. SF3 seems to not hold very true on character heights and Capcom seems to have changed M.bison's size a couple times too.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:51:27 pm by ink
#19  February 24, 2017, 05:36:13 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
I also thought he looked a bit tall, if I have to be perfectly honest. This is just an observation and not so much a criticism:

Looking at the standing draft sprite right next to Ryu, it seems normal. I like the fact that he's somewhere between Ryu and Alex.

Are you sure the sprite in that draft matches his stance sprites in terms of height, though? Bison doesn't seem to be MUCH taller than Ryu in the draft. Like you've said, Ryu's not standing up straight and if he did, he'd be even closer in height to Bison.

However, if you look at Bison's stance animation, his legs are also bent and spread a LOT more than Ryu's... and yet he's still taller that the same Ryu sprite (might just be an optical illusion caused by the cap for all I know). Are you using a fixed camera angle as your base for the sprites or just the regular in-game camera? It's possible it might've changed very slightly between bases and that could've thrown things off.

lui

#20  February 24, 2017, 05:44:49 pm
    • USA
I hope so! I hope you guys will check out the SF3 Juri project too, DelusionTrim is doing an amazing job. I know there is at least one other SF3 style characters in the works currently also.(not from SF)

are you talking about hitmon-chan? the one by motorroach and balmsold?

there's also the sf3 sagat by ghost killer with a lot of anims commissioned from him to chamat