YesNoOk

PotS Style Felicia for Child's Play Charity! Stream begins 5/25 10:30 A.M. CST (Read 9964 times)

Started by Jesuszilla, May 19, 2018, 08:10:45 pm
Share this topic:
PotS Style Felicia for Child's Play Charity! Stream begins 5/25 10:30 A.M. CST
#1  May 19, 2018, 08:10:45 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
So this is something I've been considering for a while now, yet haven't had much motivation to do since I've been busy with my own engine.

I was recently presented with a very good idea as an incentive for the project: a children's charity donation drive! It's what Felicia would want, and it seems like a very good idea to show just what the M.U.G.E.N community is capable of!

But there's a problem: I'm not really sure which charity would be a good one to donate to. I know there's St. Jude's (which my father would frequently donate to) and Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, but I'd like some other suggestions, and I just wouldn't feel good with "first page of Google results" since it may not lead to the most reputable of charities. With that said, I need suggestions! I also need to know the best way to set up a donation drive for said charity, such as setting up donation links and such.

The process will be streamed, and I have someone willing to do the remaining color separation for DavisMaximus's SFF since it doesn't have all the latest sprites, though any help is certainly welcome.

Again, I really need suggestions for charities, as well as how to go about the process since I want to make absolutely sure 100% of the donations go directly to the charity of choice.
Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:14:00 am by Jesuszilla
Re: PotS Style Felicia
#2  May 19, 2018, 08:15:55 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
Ever thought about Shriners maybe, or is that already a part of PCRF?

lui

#3  May 19, 2018, 08:17:38 pm
    • USA
that click bait game is on point just kidding, nice to see you attach something really good to a project people wanna see

on a more serious note, have you thought about specific things you personally would like to see improved in the world? try going off that and see where you go from there, make a top 10 list if you need
#4  May 19, 2018, 08:29:01 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
Is there a specific type of charity you'd like to donate to? So many charities do many different things. For example, the game show The Price Is Right (now hosted by Drew Carey of Whose Line Is It Anyway fame) had special shows where a guest celebrity played with contestants to contribute total prizes won in cash equivalents to various charities and organizations. Jack Black (Nacho Libre, Kung Fu Panda) and Wilmer Valderrama (Fez from That 70's Show) played for Society Of Women Engineers and Voto Latino respectively.

Society Of Women Engineers's mission is "stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, demonstrate the value of diversity."

Voto Latino encourages "young Hispanic and Latino voters to register to vote and become more politically involved." Being a Mexican-American/Chicano myself, making your voice heard and account for means a big deal to me.
#5  May 19, 2018, 09:19:45 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Society Of Women Engineers's mission is "stimulate women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, demonstrate the value of diversity."

Voto Latino encourages "young Hispanic and Latino voters to register to vote and become more politically involved." Being a Mexican-American/Chicano myself, making your voice heard and account for means a big deal to me.
Its impressive that even with so much poverty in the world, people actually think that its a good ideia to waste money with this kind of bullshit.
Lasagna
Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:26:34 pm by -Ash-

lui

#6  May 19, 2018, 09:40:32 pm
    • USA
cmon man this isn't the thread for that, jz is just asking for charity suggestions, don't turn it into something else
#7  May 19, 2018, 09:43:36 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Essentially what Lui said. We get it, there's problems in the world but this is not the time or the place to debate that sort of thing
#8  May 19, 2018, 09:47:49 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Ok lads, I got carried away a bit, my bad.
Lasagna
#9  May 19, 2018, 11:04:49 pm
  • Was it something I said?
Would the Child's Play Charity be a good suggestion for a charity?
#10  May 20, 2018, 01:51:01 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
That sounds like a good one! I'll add it to the list.
#11  May 20, 2018, 03:43:24 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Hearts for ALS. It's a good charity.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#12  May 20, 2018, 08:57:02 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
https://www.ndss.org/
If we're going to have fun with Felicia, I think it'd be cool if people got to have fun with the donation.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#13  May 20, 2018, 02:52:35 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
I agree. While those both are fine charities, I'd still like to emphasize that I want one primarily for children, wanna do this for the kids after all.
#14  May 20, 2018, 03:30:45 pm
Make-a-wish foundation, or does that sound stupid?
I don't know which one actually gives all the money to it's end goals, but this one is supposed to be non-profit.
How do we know for sure though?
#15  May 20, 2018, 05:04:28 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Well I mean more like "I want to make sure all money that gets donated goes directly to the charity." It's unrealistic to think 100% of the money will go towards the actual cause since charities also have bills to pay such as office space & supplies, webhosting, campaigns and raising awareness, etc.

Another one I was suggested was the Dave Thomas Foundation, which you may be familiar with through Wendy's. Seems appropriate given it's for helping children get foster homes!

So there's also some good news! Apparently I was smoking crack and all of @davismaximus:'s sprites can go into the Felicia_LG SFF which I'll be using as a base. The only things that will be missing are @Chamat:'s guard crush and @balmsold:'s run animations, which are in the style of CvS2 Felicia's SFF. The latter I don't plan to use since she'll be using her dash with air normal cancels anyway. Former isn't too big of a deal.

So the only conceivable problem is converting all the palettes over, which, since it is simple color replacement, I can automate with Python anyway.

With that said, here's her tentative feature list:
  • No run, dash with cancelable normals
  • Air chains
  • Kitty The Helper is VS2 style (DP+2K)
  • Power Charge
  • Custom Combo
  • Roll and Dodge
  • SFZ3-style 2-button throws
  • Command Buffering Step 2
  • When Kitty The Helper is active, an extra hit will be added to the end of Dancing Flash
  • VS blood with puddles
  • CFJ/VS2 approximated hit velocities
  • SFFv2. I could choose either to use VS palette swapping for ES/EX specials, or use CFJ PalFX
  • Hi res (480p) FX.

CLSNs are up for debate. I could use VS, VS2, or my edited CvS2-style CLSNs. Seeing as this is PotS, I think it makes sense to use CFJ/VS2 CLSNs, which thankfully the VC base uses. It would be no effort to provide VS collisions since literally all they did was replace the standard head box in her stand and crouch animations in VS2.
Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:56:24 pm by Jesuszilla
#16  May 20, 2018, 09:02:39 pm
Ah ok, I thought you were trying to avoid greed people hiding behind charity.
It's crazy how much some of the chairman gets on hiss paycheck...
#17  May 20, 2018, 09:06:59 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
That's pretty much a given, plus I don't want to give to a charity that's known to support efforts like, I dunno, bombing kids in Syria or something. I want to avoid those kinds of things.
#18  May 21, 2018, 03:31:13 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
#19  May 22, 2018, 12:09:14 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Thanks for all your suggestions so far, people! I'll try to send as many e-mails/forms as I can to the organizations I'm most interested in, though I'm personally rooting for the Dave Thomas Foundation, as its goal is to help children find foster homes.

I sent an e-mail just now and am awaiting their reply for how to go about things!
#20  May 22, 2018, 12:21:11 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
This is certainly gonna be an interesting project.  Charites as incentive ^..^ I'll be watching this one unfold.