YesNoOk

Characters to start working in MUGEN with? (Read 7838 times)

Started by NoilKaizen, May 27, 2019, 01:13:04 am
Characters to start working in MUGEN with?
#1  May 27, 2019, 01:13:04 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Hello! I wanted to get into MUGEN development. I'm not sure what characters I should work with however. While I know that it's my first rodeo, and the final project isn't going to be some masterpiece, I'm not sure on what characters will be a good start to work with or if some characters might be harder to play around with.

Possible choices for a first character (or perhaps an edit of someone else's character include:
  • Momoko (King of Fighters)
  • Makoto (Street Fighter)
  • Almost anything that has a full sprite sheet available

What are some general qualities that make something easy to start with?
Fortnite 2 baby.
Re: Characters to start working in MUGEN with?
#2  May 27, 2019, 01:24:02 am
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
I would suggest a char that isn't overly reliant on projectiles (like Bao from KOF, or Dizzy from Guilty Gear, for example) and throws (throws are tedious to code). If your char has no projectiles, like, for example, Guy from SFA series, or Kim from KOF, it's a good choice.

I also can suggest you to convert a char from a game that doesn't have too many universal mechanics. Something more old-school. SF3 Makoto, for example, it's a difficult choice because codes for parries are usually complex. Think simple.
#3  May 27, 2019, 01:37:31 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
I would suggest a char that isn't overly reliant on projectiles (like Bao from KOF, or Dizzy from Guilty Gear, for example) and throws (throws are tedious to code). If your char has no projectiles, like, for example, Guy from SFA series, or Kim from KOF, it's a good choice.

I also can suggest you to convert a char from a game that doesn't have too many universal mechanics. Something more old-school. SF3 Makoto, for example, it's a difficult choice because codes for parries are usually complex. Think simple.

Ah, that makes sense to me. I guess both my choices aren't that good because Momoko has some freaky throws and Makoto has the Parry system to deal with. I was also thinking of a character I'm somewhat familiar with. I'm the most familiar with MvC games so I guess I can try to find some more simple characters in that series or another Capcom/KOF thing, perhaps Sakura (Street Fighter)?
Fortnite 2 baby.
#4  May 27, 2019, 05:03:59 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Start by messing around with Kung Fu Man. He's extremely basic and his codes actually include tips that can guide you through the process of his workings. I would just start with editing KFM before editing more complex characters (like those with commercial gameplay mechanics) until you get the hang of coding so you can jump into even more complex characters and maybe even ultimately start your own.

You gotta start with the most basic thing you can look for and KFM is that perfect example. Baby steps is key.
#5  May 27, 2019, 05:35:17 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Start by messing around with Kung Fu Man. He's extremely basic and his codes actually include tips that can guide you through the process of his workings. I would just start with editing KFM before editing more complex characters (like those with commercial gameplay mechanics) until you get the hang of coding so you can jump into even more complex characters and maybe even ultimately start your own.

You gotta start with the most basic thing you can look for and KFM is that perfect example. Baby steps is key.

Ah, that's true. I should probably look into some tutorials and stuff as well. There's a ton of them out there, so it can get confusing.
Fortnite 2 baby.
#6  May 27, 2019, 06:05:21 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'd recomendo Ryon's tutorial on youtube, is very well explained and all. Kung Fu Man's files also have some explanations on coding and stuff.
Well, Nep and Zzyzzyxx already stated what I wanted to say. The SFA system is not that hard if you're not going to make a V-Ism or gauge system, Sakura could be a good start, the throws and projectiles can be a little challenging but you'll need to learn this anyway.
#7  May 29, 2019, 01:21:14 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Thanks. I'll give those a look.
Fortnite 2 baby.
#8  May 29, 2019, 04:11:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
What is normally recomended is to start with a simple character (mechanics wise) that has a projectiles attack and a few rush attacks; something shoto like. characters that are heavy on projectiles and particularly grapplers  are not recomended as they are more complex and by doing the regular grabs of a shoto you learn grabs basics anyway. A long time ago it was also recomended to start witha  snes char, to not be overwhelmed by the sprite work, but I ahve not heard that recomendation in a while.
#9  May 29, 2019, 08:51:28 pm
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
An SNES Character? Huh, I've not thought of that.
Fortnite 2 baby.