YesNoOk

Fair Use Challenged: Youtube's Ray William Johnson Lawsuit Heads to Trial (Read 1938 times)

Started by Flowrellik, March 03, 2016, 06:04:07 am
Share this topic:
Fair Use Challenged: Youtube's Ray William Johnson Lawsuit Heads to Trial
#1  March 03, 2016, 06:04:07 am
  • Raging Fist
http://www.thevideoink.com/breaking-news/ray-william-johnson-lawsuit-heads-to-trial-to-defend-fair-use-on-3/
" Ray William Johnson and his legal team will carry the burden of defending “=3” against Jukin Media at trial for using 17 different videos in the show without obtaining the licensing rights. Opening remarks commence tomorrow, March 1st, in downtown Los Angeles, and Johnson, who claims “=3″‘s unlicensed use of clips and videos from around the web fall under the jurisdiction of Fair Use, will look to prove his case in front of a jury."

Fair Use - By summing up a Wikipedia documentation, Fair Use is a legal doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. It is one type of limitation and exception to the exclusive rights copyright law grants to the author of a creative work.

Well this is interesting. First there was Nostalgia Critic and his gang being warned by Youtube, then TFS being banned from youtube. I know the law of Fair Use and in all rights I stand by it, but it seems to me that Youtube and/or major/minor corporations and industries are trying desperately to make sure the Fair Use law does not see the light of day, maybe even repealed.  In any event if he wins this case this can be a big win for everyone and fair use as a whole, though if he loses, we may see more "misuse of power" for a lot of different people and third party industries, and we as Mugen Hobbyists may be affected too (If some aren't already affected).
Re: Fair Use Challenged: Youtube's Ray William Johnson Lawsuit Heads to Trial
#2  March 03, 2016, 04:06:22 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Don't know what to say beyond "Oh shit!"

Hope everything goes well but you never know.

Since his purposes (last I saw of him anyway) fall under comedic use, I assume things should go in his favor but again, you never know.