YesNoOk

Steel Komodo's Idea Dump for Things He'll Never Do (Read 88091 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, April 25, 2014, 01:16:20 am
Re: Steel Komodo's Idea Dump: Capcom vs. The World Alpha (Working Title)
#61  April 13, 2017, 05:33:40 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
I'm sort of churning ideas for bosses in my head, but I haven't really got a solid concept down. I don't feel an "amalgamation" would work, since it would be too easy to lean it towards Capcom or The World in terms of moveset. Ideally, it would have to be an original thing that doesn't take aspects from either side of the roster.

Speaking of which - made some changes in the Roster. Deadpool has been replaced by Thor, Rolento has been replaced by Haggar, and Jin Kazama has been dropped in favour of Kyo. I know the latter will be a point of contention, but as cool as it would be to have a Tekken rep, I seriously doubt that I could do a character like that justice, with the limited buttons the CvWA style has. Maybe he could appear in an expansion further down the line, but I doubt it. I'm also considering replacing Felicia with Hsein-Ko, because she doesn't get much focus in projects like this, I feel.

And whilst I'm about it, I think I've figured out (mostly) everyone's Unique Tactics.

Spoiler: Unique Tactics (click to see content)

If you have any better suggestions, feel free to throw them at me!
Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:12:48 pm by Steel Komodo
Re: Steel Komodo's Idea Dump: Capcom vs. The Universe
#62  June 24, 2017, 06:28:58 pm
    • UK
Okay, so coming back to this, I've made an important desicion: The Smash Bros. style gameplay isn't working out how I wanted. True, it's easier to code, but it means character will play very much the same and combos will be very fixed, which isn't what I want. As of now, Capcom vs. the World Alpha will be returning to a Three-Button System of , and , with an S button for Unique Tactics. This will allow for characters to be more flexible and varied, instead of sticking to the rigid structure demanded by the previous control scheme.

Some other changes to note:
  • I finally have a name for this game now - Capcom vs. The Universe! Cheesy, I know, but it works :P
  • Unique Tactics won't be managed by a separate bar. They'll function more like V-Skills or Character Powers from Injustice, in that regard.
  • Rage Mode will be dropped in favour of a Tekken 7-style Rage Attack. I don't like how I blatantly copied Rage Mode from BC's SF4 characters and would like to try and distinguish my own style from this mechanics.
  • Running/Dash attacks will still be in. Some of them may OTG.
  • Light or Medium crouching normals will be the go-to OTG to continue combos, similar to MvC2/MvCI. There will be a system to prevent infinites, so no need to worry about that.
  • I may include Darkstalkers-style projectile priority to make things more interesting.
  • Alpha Counters, Push Block or Guard Cancels?
  • The Ukemi system may be dropped, on account of me being cack-handed at coding. If anyone can tell me of better ways to code it, let me know!

I'm currently reconsidering a lot of the roster, due to these changes. Here's my thoughts:
  • Kyo will most likely be dropped from the roster to bring Jin Kazama back, since the new 3-Button system will allow me to more faitfhully recreate Tekken gameplay. Also, I don't really like Kyo as a character.
  • I have no idea wherever I should keep Tron and Arthur or replace one of them or both with Mega Man or Mega Man X. If I included one of those two, they'd play closer to MvCI.
  • Morrigan is also a good candidate for a Darkstalkers rep alongside Felicia or Hsein-Ko. It helps that she has CvS-style sprites of her done already.
  • Would Tiffany be a better choice than Batsu?
  • What can I do for a Resident Evil rep? Jill? Mr. X?
  • I honestly can't choose between Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Ermac for a Mortal Kombat rep.
  • I'm considering dropping Thor for Iron Man, since the latter is more recognizable.
  • I'm wondering if it's possible to edit Skullomania's sprites to create Kamen Rider #1, for an surprise rep on The World side.
  • Anime character???

On the subject of characters, I'm open to the idea of other people making DLC characters using the same style. So if you're that upset about me dropping Kyo, feel free to try and recreate him yourselves :P

Also, here's an updated list of UT's.
Spoiler: Unique Tactics (click to see content)
With that said, I'll most likely start updating my Ryu to accomodate these new changes. Stay tuned for more...[/list]
Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:45:20 pm by Steel Komodo
#63  June 28, 2017, 11:14:33 pm
    • UK
Apologies for the constant double and triple-posting, but I want to give a few updates on here concerning several things.

Firstly, Ryu is now in a very beta phase in the new gameplay style, with almost all the special moves implemented. Still to go are Light and Medium variations of the Joudan Sokutogeri, two more Supers and general tweaks to gameplay and visuals. I'll put up a beta release once he's done to have people test him out and give feedback on what I can do to improve the gameplay system overall.

Secondly, I've been working on some concepts for the screenpack, although since I'm not great with photoshop they may not come into fruition at all. So far, all I have is a logo and a shitty select screen concept. Enjoy (nor not :P)

Spoiler: Bad concept images! (click to see content)

Finally, I've been going through the roster (again), and I've realized that there's too much representation of fighting games on the Universe side, rather than all kinds of media that it should be. So I'm going to be fielding suggestions for characters in Capcom vs. The Universe, particularly on the Universe side - I would like to keep the character count to around twelve or thirteen a side, barring any extra characters like Final Bison and Nightmare Geese. So fire away, guys - the only stipulation is that the character needs to have sprites that would fit in with a general Capcom aesthetic. And whilst I'm about it, I'd like to share my own wishlist for characters I would like to put in here:
  • Kamen Rider Fourze: Any Kamen Rider character would do here, but I figure that Fourze would probably be the most interesting character to do because of the wild variety of moves his Astroswitches could afford him. His Character Power would allow him to switch fighting styles by swapping out the Astroswitches in his belt, allowing him to access new moves with different properties. He would probably serve as the rival to Batsu, allowing me to swap Heita Zinnai out and find some other obscure fighting game character to put in his place. The only issue I have is that whilst a Kamen Rider Fourze character exists, the sprites are atrocious and not what I want in the slightest.
  • Jason Voorhees: Everyone's favourite(?) undead machete killer, Jason would not only add in some movie representation to the game, but would be a spice of horror in an otherwise goofy and colourful cast. I had a movelist concocted for Jason when I was planning out SNK vs. The World, and I'm fairly confident that I could adapt it to the 3-Button system of CvU. His special moves would not take great inspiration from MKX, but would be more focused on referencing the movies. His Rage Attack/Ultra Combo would cause a Fatality if it killed the opponent.
  • Tifa Lockhart: Because I don't know shit about Final Fantasy, but I know a lot about Tifa. I am aware that Hatter is working on sprites of her, and wherever she would be included or not would most likely depend on when the sprites get completed or not. She'd most likely be a rekka-based character or a pseudo-grappler, to contrast with the vast majority of shotos in the cast.
  • Link: As a huge Zelda fanboy, a decent Link in MUGEN would be a dream come true for me. Unfortunately, I'd want to use Adult Link, and the only sprites that were done of him were done by chuchoryu - and I do not think very highly of his spritework. Unless somebody offers to touch up those sprites and animations, this can only be a pipe dream for me, unfortunately.
  • Mega Man X: This is a no-brainer, since the original Capcom vs. The World had the original Mega Man and Memo's CvW2 looks to have Mega Man Volnutt in. Again, this is a mad pipe dream, since I have no idea of the status of RamzaNeko's Mega Man X, and MetalWarrior has said he's not working on updating those sprites anymore. Sigh... a man can dream.

Whilst I'm rambling, I'd like to welcome Mai-Ling of Red Earth to the roster, and may also replace Ash Crimson with Vegeta as a more fitting rival to Akuma. KoF is getting the shaft a lot in this game, isn't it? :P

So yeah, fire away with your suggestions, folks. I'm wide open!
#64  June 30, 2017, 11:01:39 pm
    • UK
UPDATE: New 3-Button version beta of Ryu is out for public testing! Give him a whirl in the release section!

And whilst I'm about it, feel free to throw a vote into the poll on the same topic and leave some feedback. Your answers will help shape the future of Capcom vs. The Universe, so answer honestly!
#65  July 05, 2017, 10:02:01 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Just wanted to say if you ever decide to go ahead with this hit me up.
#66  July 05, 2017, 01:11:01 pm
    • UK
#67  September 21, 2019, 07:22:46 pm
    • UK
So I guess this is what I do now. Vanish for years, come back here to post another pie-in-the-sky idea and then vanish again.

Guess I'm just not cut out for serious projects, huh? :(

Anyway, two more stupid ideas that are never gonna get made. Enjoy.

Spoiler: Untitled Concept (click to see content)

Also, if I ever do come back here for real, I'm probably going to drop Capcom vs. The Universe and work on KoF X The World instead. I'm honestly not interested in the former anymore, and the latter sounds like a better chance to do cool things with the standard KoF gameplay. I'm already rejiggering the roster yet again to try and be more "realistic" (lol, as if), so if I ever decide to make a proper return I'll be sure to have something solid I can commit to.