YesNoOk

next street fighter should be in HD 2d (Read 22700 times)

Started by Pessimus-Prime, July 08, 2015, 08:54:38 am
Share this topic:
next street fighter should be in HD 2d
#1  July 08, 2015, 08:54:38 am
i was noticing all of the smaller companies like arc system works and indie developed games like skull girls having 2d graphics, but they are struggling to keep 2D relevant. HD 2d seems to be an art that is dying without even having a chance and i think capcom should make another 2D street fighter because that would help the art a lot. art is not something like a horse and buggy that should be replaced as art forms should never be completely destroyed. on a side note 3D cg has replaced stop motion, traditional hand drawn cartoons, animitronics, and even stunts and on location filming, the point is CG can be beautiful but other things are cool too. it's too late for SF 5 to do this but maybe an alpha 4 or street fighter 6 if they ever make one should use guilty gear type animation just because street fighter is a recognized name. i wish i could do a petition for this but i don't think it would work :( any way that's just my 2 cents
go ahead and run!!! there's nowwhere in the world you can hide when it's my world!!
Re: next street fighter should be in HD 2d
#2  July 08, 2015, 12:06:16 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Your post is barely readable.
Add proper capitalization, line breaks  and commas.

Also, 2D is not very profitable for a fighting game nowadays.
#3  July 08, 2015, 02:45:17 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

Dude, it's 2015. Complaining about SF using 3D models over pixelart stopped being cool about 7 years ago.
#4  July 08, 2015, 03:36:55 pm
2D costs alot more than 3D, and once it's made it can't be modified again. for example the Omega mode in USFIV introduced alot of new moves for all the characters and it was just released as a free patch. now imagine how hard it would've been to implement it had they used 2D, they would be better off making a new game.
i'm actually glad that Arc System stopped using it too. 3D is just easier to make, modify, reuse and it has limitless creative potential.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5  July 08, 2015, 03:50:00 pm
for example the Omega mode in USFIV introduced alot of new moves for all the characters and it was just released as a free patch. now imagine how hard it would've been to implement it had they used 2D, they would be better off making a new game.
Uh, Omega used existing animations (or parts of existing animations) to patch up new moves. That's very doable in 2D - provided the base has enough sprites. It happens pretty often in Mugen, too, because it's literally the easiest part.
In fact, I'm rather surprised that 2D costs more than 3D because you can do pretty much anything in 2D, you just have to draw it. In 3D, to get the same quality of animations, it should require a lot of work - just compare the animation from SF3.3 to their equivalent in SF4 : a couple months back, there was a video up on Eventhubs comparing Chun Li's stance and gethits etc. between 3.3 and 4, how the 2D version was a lot more elastic, something the 3D version couldn't do. For 3D to not look stiff and generic, making animations require a lot more talent, time, attention to the little bits to get an equivalent result. I wouldn't even expect to see 3.3 quality in SF5.
Though I suppose 2D also needs strong supervision so that every single sprite looks correct in the art style ? Whereas 3D would allow experimented animators to work on their own for a while ? Plus 3D has the advantage that you don't need to "draw" every single frames, 3D engines only require enough "key frames" and connects the dots as a single animation, right ? But still, I would figure actually making those complex and elastic animations take a lot of work, even when you're experimented...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:53:47 pm by DKDC
#6  July 08, 2015, 05:29:29 pm
i would think the choice between 2d and 3d boils down to the type of moves for the fighting game you're making. i imagine a new darkstalkers would be 2d because making the weirder animations look good in 3d would be a huge pain in the ass
#7  July 08, 2015, 05:33:53 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
byakko it depends on what type of game you are making, something that introduces new elements all the time ( like swords being pulled out of thin air) requires the models to be already around and just shrunk down. With them going to normal size when used.
Things like energy bursts, etc all require their own models.

The counterpoint is that you can code a get hit and reuse it for any new model you make. so the bones only need to be done once..
Animation is more expensive bulk, look at skullgirls.

Tekken on the other hand reuses so much stuff their animation budget must be almost nil.
#8  July 08, 2015, 05:41:21 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
I actaully had a dream (no Joke) that they ditched the new SF5 and remade it all back in 2D , waked up and being pissed it wasn't real , 2D is better then 3D why throw the best away , I'm always looking forward to see new 2D fighting games and games in general , they have the undying classic feeling to them , I hate how develepers are abandoning 2D style in favor of the 3D, however it seems that some sources does show that the 2D is comming back, I hope it does
#9  July 08, 2015, 05:47:09 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
your post went everywhere and said nothing =|

#10  July 08, 2015, 05:52:01 pm
 Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is an indie 2D fighting game

it needed about
$68,000 USD

#11  July 08, 2015, 05:58:55 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
still going nowhere.

You are not making a point, just stating things.

If you are trying to claim that 2d dev is cheaper than 3d, I dunno how you can think that with a straight face.
#12  July 08, 2015, 06:22:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#13  July 08, 2015, 06:22:56 pm
still going nowhere.

If you are trying to claim that 2d dev is cheaper than 3d, I dunno how you can think that with a straight face.

im not trying to claim anything, it just that every other person I asked said that 2D is cheaper, well, how much did Skulgirls cost ?
#14  July 08, 2015, 06:24:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
still going nowhere.

im not trying to claim anything, it just that every other person I asked said that 2D is cheaper, well, how much did Skulgirls cost ?
250k per character.
1,7 million for the whole first game.without dlcs
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-character-crowdfunding-breakdown-what-that-150k-is/
#15  July 08, 2015, 06:37:43 pm
one ward : DANG !
#16  July 08, 2015, 06:38:36 pm
#17  July 08, 2015, 09:13:15 pm
Uh, Omega used existing animations (or parts of existing animations) to patch up new moves. That's very doable in 2D - provided the base has enough sprites. It happens pretty often in Mugen, too, because it's literally the easiest part.
i never played it but i saw a gameplay video for ken and guile and they both seem to have new kicks and punches AFAIR.
#18  July 08, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
New moves made from pieces of existing animations. Probably including moves that were created during development but not implemented in the actual game until then.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#19  July 08, 2015, 09:45:29 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

slightly relevant

*1 HOUR LONG VIDEO*
TL;DR , a lot of the "2d only" stuff can also be done in 3d, but it also requires a substantial amount of work, conference also talks about things that can't be done in 2d but can be done in 3d.
Does it talk about stuff that's extremely impractical but possible in 2D like alt costumes or copycat/customizable  characters, but easily doable in 3D too?
#20  July 08, 2015, 09:52:22 pm
No, it's only an ASW dev talking about how they went to make 3D look like 2D. Shader, model, vectrex etc.
#21  July 08, 2015, 10:32:55 pm
New moves made from pieces of existing animations. Probably including moves that were created during development but not implemented in the actual game until then.
but thats the question, can companies that 2D sprites afford to make abundant attacks and unused animations for each character? most likely not, scrapped attacks probably never get past the storyboard stage.
again, an other feature that 3D has.
#22  July 08, 2015, 10:43:57 pm
but thats the question, can companies that 2D sprites afford to make abundant attacks and unused animations for each character?
Have you ever seen a King of Fighters game ?
And you're focusing on the wrong part, unused animations / sprites are only a small part of it. I do mean reusing existing sprites actually used in other moves, and rearranged together to look like a new move. Again, Mugen. I gave a quick look to the new moves in Omega mode, and I'm pretty sure at least like 90% of them use pieces of animations from other moves - not unused, but actually used. You can do the same with sprites - again, provided it's not an old Street Fighter Alpha 1 game with less than 300 sprites for a character.
Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:48:29 pm by DKDC
#23  July 09, 2015, 12:27:50 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
slightly relevant

*1 HOUR LONG VIDEO*
TL;DR , a lot of the "2d only" stuff can also be done in 3d, but it also requires a substantial amount of work, conference also talks about things that can't be done in 2d but can be done in 3d.
Does it talk about stuff that's extremely impractical but possible in 2D like alt costumes or copycat/customizable  characters, but easily doable in 3D too?

nope, regarding that it is mostly history mode and camera related stuff, camera movement and levels of zoom that are impractical in 2d. they dopn't really mentino the thing syou said, but by crossing over with the way they made their graphics those would also be quite difficult (hard work) to pull off in their workflow.

Bea

#24  July 09, 2015, 12:49:56 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Producing quality high resolution 2D sprites that also animate smoothly is a very time consuming, costly job.
One that also lacks enough professionals out in the market that can properly animate in 2D.
Animating in 3D is much cheaper and streamlined, and the work force is out there, ready to be picked up at a cheaper rate.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#25  July 09, 2015, 01:12:12 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
http://2dwillneverdie.com/blog/how-much-do-sprites-cost/

This could help you in finding your answers

Also what Bea said is relevant as well. I recall that SNK nearly went bankrupt because of how much it costed to make he sprites (though the end result was worth it)

Personally I wished that SF4 went the route of Rumble Fish, KoF 13 but I get why they didn't
This is a generic forum signature.
#26  July 09, 2015, 01:36:14 am
Animating in 3D is much cheaper and streamlined, and the work force is out there, ready to be picked up at a cheaper rate.
http://2dwillneverdie.com/blog/how-much-do-sprites-cost/
Again, I have issue with these statements - on the 3D side of the matter. I do understand that 3D has lots of people who can work on it and become decent to the point of building up a nice game. But what I'm talking about is equal result. Those people who do 3D cheap don't give the same quality, they do bare bones models and bare bones animations. They don't do muscles and facial expressions and complex martial arts movements all that stuff. Plus, from what I see in games in general, the time it takes to do something even decent goes through the roof as technology improves, because that's all the more little details you have to account for in your animations. When it happens, people do a press conference to say "look at how awesome and detailed our dog fur and animal movements and facial expressions are".
Basically, I'm saying it's like 3D is at the stage 2D was on, let's say for argument's sake, Street Fighter 2 (alright, maybe SF Alpha). If you want to do really detailed animations to reach, say, Guilty Gear XX or SF3 level of animations, in 3D you're looking at the likes of Assassin's Creed and Arkham Knight and whatever, NOT something like SF4. And I'm having a really hard time hearing that the workforce for this quality is so cheap and so easily found in high numbers, especially when you have to do it for 30-some characters.
In short, all I'm hearing from this is that people settle in 3D for something much less impressive in terms of body movements and expressions than they do with 2D. It's just saying SFA quality is fine when you have BlazBlue running next to it. And when they do high quality pooping horses, they do a press release.
Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:40:34 am by DKDC
#27  July 09, 2015, 01:52:38 am
Tekken has been getting alot better in it's animation since 4, Tekken 6 and TT2 had top notch 3D animation that imo was very fluid and realistic.

Bea

#28  July 09, 2015, 01:54:25 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
It would still be more expensive to deliver high resolution sprites, as you need at least 7 to 10 frames for the animation to be smooth, and even at 720p that is a lot of pixels and line art to be taken into account. And the line art needs to be cleaned, which means more time needed to make it happen.
With 3D, the bulk of the cost is at building a good 3D model and rigging it well. After that, animating is much easier and thus cheaper. And if needed, you can rely on motion capture for animations after you rig your model.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#29  July 09, 2015, 02:02:33 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
One that also lacks enough professionals out in the market that can properly animate in 2D.

this pains, I remember yatagarasu taking this long because they were unable to find one sprite artist and styleos had to do everything.

#30  July 09, 2015, 06:09:51 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
slightly relevant

*1 HOUR LONG VIDEO*

nope, regarding that it is mostly history mode and camera related stuff, camera movement and levels of zoom that are impractical in 2d. they dopn't really mentino the thing syou said, but by crossing over with the way they made their graphics those would also be quite difficult (hard work) to pull off in their workflow.

to go on a tangent i came across this game

about the 2d thing fgs are now one of the last genres that still use sprites and are regularly played, to give an example most jrpgs outside of n1 are in 3d
which makes it an issue of the market and as well as costs
also, well, its been 7 years since sf4. theyre not going back. id rather they make sf5 a good game now more than anything else
#31  July 09, 2015, 10:45:39 am
I guess you could say its more about personal preference for the gamers , I prefer 2D over 3D , I still enjoy 3D fighters still, but its understandble why they are all moving to 3D , I hope one day they would find an easier way to create 2D games *finger crossed *
#32  July 09, 2015, 03:15:25 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
The reason that wont happen is because if you want high quality sprites it's basically like painting the same thing up to 600 times. Ask the average spriter how much time it takes for them to make a single frame from scratch and multiply that by how much the average sprite artist gets paid. Then multiply that by how many chars there would be. In this day and age HD 2d sprites are just not as viable as 3d models are because 3d modeling costs are going down while 2d spriting costs are basically remaining unchanged.

TL;DR what you're wanting to be a thing will never be a thing.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#33  July 10, 2015, 04:57:21 am
slightly relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E&feature=youtu.be

downloaded it and just finished watching it. very informative indeed, loved all the techniques they used to keep their 3D models look as 2D as possible and i hope this method can be used on other fighting games because that as 2D as we'll ever get without using sprites.
what pissed me off though was the irrelevant very specific questions that were asked at the end "how did you huh... scale the huh... normals with lights and make the huh... normals... and models blur with textures? also do you point sample the textures only?" even he got confused and didn't know how to answer it, and he said that he was a fucking 3D expert.
there's many interesting points that he brought up but didn't elaborate on, that would've been good questions. but nope textures filtering was just too fucking important to know. you pretentious nerds >:(
Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:06:02 am by supervegeta
#34  July 10, 2015, 06:50:03 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
How were those questions irrelevant? That was from a GDC talk.
#35  July 10, 2015, 07:33:44 am
oh sorry didn't know what GDC was, thought it was just another gaming convention.
still though that question was very disjointed and barely made sense.
there was some good questions there involving the game development, it's just actually that one and a couple more that i didn't like.
Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:22:22 am by supervegeta
#36  July 10, 2015, 03:00:33 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
still though that question was very disjointed
Yeah, I won't disagree with that, college students get really nervous at GDC, they talk to professionals and also are trying to land a job in the industry.
and barely made sense.
I'll disagree with this though.
If the guy doing the talk couldn't answer it's because it was a very specialized question, sure he does "3D" but 3D is still a suuuper broad field, you can do everything (Modeling, texturing, rigging, scripting) and be mediocre at it or specialize at one field and not know much about the rest other than the basics.
#37  July 10, 2015, 05:25:05 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
alsos ome guys got beaten up to their questions so they had to ask whatever came to their mind, or the ambient lightning question guy they asked something that ahd a simple answer but kept on trying to get a more complex one.
#38  July 10, 2015, 07:38:52 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
I always prefer street fighter in 2D, street figter 3D sucks  but seeing mk10 or tekken wow.! I don't know what hapenning with these companys don't do a job like Mk10 or tekken.
Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:43:44 pm by yaret
#39  July 12, 2015, 01:56:35 am
Sorry for the bad grammar, i just had to get my point out. I did hear that princess and the frog only cost 40 million while tangled cost 240 million.
Also they could cut the number of frames instead of having 100000 frames per character like blazblue they could just have maybe double what hd remix had.
HD remix did not look like shit.
go ahead and run!!! there's nowwhere in the world you can hide when it's my world!!
#40  July 12, 2015, 01:58:18 am
it was animated like shit though.
#41  July 12, 2015, 02:13:27 am
There are 8 bit games still being released so the animation in HD Remix is not going to mean it won't sell. There is also a big difference between the half a million frames per character found in skullgirls and HD remix so a happy medium can be found
#42  July 12, 2015, 02:19:47 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
HD Remix's graphics were very half-assed, felt as though they were rushed. Sure it was a commercial success for Capcom, but it was still a literal mess.

Read this if you really want to see why HD Remix's art sucks in general:

http://irwt.iammanyninjas.com/sprite-sf2hd.html

Other than that, this entire topic is now making me want to experiment with fighter graphics in 3D. Will start looking into 3D in-depth from now.
#43  July 12, 2015, 02:21:19 am
Yes it did look like shit but that's besides the point.

It's not so much HD sprites being expensive (all games are expensive in this age), more that it's Capcom appeasing to the wider audience. Wider audience doesn't want 2D sprites, too 'outdated.' They're not completely wrong btw, I say this as someone who enjoys pixel art. 3DGC is less time consuming, more profitable, and more flexible to work with.
#44  July 12, 2015, 02:25:01 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yes it did look like shit but that's besides the point.

It's not so much HD sprites being expensive (all games are expensive in this age), more that it's Capcom appeasing to the wider audience. Wider audience doesn't want 2D sprites, too 'outdated.' They're not completely wrong btw, I say this as someone who enjoys pixel art. 3D is less time consuming, more profitable, and more flexible to work with.

Correct, but I was actually focusing more on Pessimus-Prime saying this:

Basically, you just took the words out of my mouth right about now. Exactly what I was thinking a while ago.

lui

#45  July 12, 2015, 02:26:03 am
    • USA
people need to stop hoping that the next (main) Street Fighter games (if there are any) will be in 2D again, gaming is a buisness, and buisness needs to make
profit for a cheaper cost, 3D is cheaper and makes more money.

Capcom won't change this. It's been like this for years now. Move on.
#46  July 12, 2015, 02:27:26 am
I did read few more articals about this from develepers , some say 2D is easier to make and others say 3D is easier , in my opinion it depends on the person doing it, some well find 2D easeir to make while other would find it harder, its like how some people have an easier time playing with a joystick while others feel its better with a keybord , in the end like someone said
V
V
V
3DGC is less time consuming, more profitable, and more flexible to work with.

lui

#47  July 12, 2015, 02:30:26 am
    • USA
Well thats other people. Not Capcom.
 Capcom moved to 3D ages ago and they make money off of 3D with cheaper results. so no, the next Street Fighter(s) will most certainly not be in 2D
#48  July 12, 2015, 02:38:53 am
  • Outchea Grindin'
    • USA
    • warrenh89@live.com
Capcom's always been lazy with their sprite game I don't think they've ever redrawn Morrigan despite cramming her into every crossover imaginable. They're the last company I would hold out hope for saving the HD 2D genre. That's not to say they don't have the same love of the craft as say SNK or Arc they just move a lot differently now. Plus SFV is kind of a joint venture between Capcom & Sony, Sony really wants to show off their graphics so I don't think they'd be able to make a 2D art SFV even if they wanted to.

"Capcom vs SNK 3 coming soon, we promise" - Ren
#49  July 12, 2015, 02:40:18 am
I did read few more articals about this from develepers , some say 2D is easier to make and others say 3D is easier

I'd say they're roughly the same, depends on the level of effort. Square Enix and their 3DGC probably requires more money than say, sprites from Uniel or DBFC. And I'm certain that Square Enix has a higher budget for graphics that say, Street Fighter IV (or V for that matter). :V

Depends on the amount of work to achieve the visuals regardless if its sprites or models.
Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:44:42 am by Niitris

lui

#50  July 12, 2015, 02:46:21 am
    • USA
Capcom's always been lazy with their sprite game I don't think they've ever redrawn Morrigan despite cramming her into every crossover imaginable. They're the last company I would hold out hope for saving the HD 2D genre. That's not to say they don't have the same love of the craft as say SNK or Arc they just move a lot differently now. Plus SFV is kind of a joint venture between Capcom & Sony, Sony really wants to show off their graphics so I don't think they'd be able to make a 2D art SFV even if they wanted to.

pretty much.
If anything, if Capcom partnered with, say Arc System works, then I can see some HD 2D sprite-work for a game happening, but sadly that probably won't happen.
#51  July 12, 2015, 02:53:35 am
some say 2D is easier to make and others say 3D is easier , in my opinion it depends on the person doing it, some well find 2D easeir to make while other would find it harder
#52  July 12, 2015, 02:57:53 am
  • Outchea Grindin'
    • USA
    • warrenh89@live.com

pretty much.
If anything, if Capcom partnered with, say Arc System works, then I can see some HD 2D sprite-work for a game happening, but sadly that probably won't happen.

Yeah like Sengoku Basara X, but even that was handled almost entirely by Arc. Its a mixed bag when it comes to 2D for me now, like I love it but at the same time with modern graphics it can leave a little bit more to be desired.

lui

#53  July 12, 2015, 02:59:14 am
    • USA

pretty much.

Yeah like Sengoku Basara X, but even that was handled almost entirely by Arc. Its a mixed bag when it comes to 2D for me now, like I love it but at the same time with modern graphics it can leave a little bit more to be desired.

that's because modern pixel art standards have changed so much in the more recent years, it's now all about high-res, and high-res is expensive as shit.
#54  July 12, 2015, 03:10:51 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it also depends on teh staff, it's very difficult to find good pixel artist who make originla animation, even more so for fighting games, arcsys is in a quite privileged position as said by their own staff.
#55  July 12, 2015, 03:20:45 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
You could cut down on the workload like KOF does by making a 3D model, animating it, and tracing over it as if it were an anime outsourced to Korea, but most people would argue that if you already made a model, it would just be easier to use that in the game.

lui

#56  July 12, 2015, 03:23:21 am
    • USA
You could cut down on the workload like KOF does by making a 3D model, animating it, and tracing over it as if it were an anime outsourced to Korea, but most people would argue that if you already made a model, it would just be easier to use that in the game.

plus 3d models themselves cost money to make, as you have to hire people who make 3d models and animate them. SNK went the extra mile and converted it all to 2D in a short time, which used up almost more than half their budget.
#57  July 12, 2015, 03:26:32 am
megaman 9 sold, shovel knight sold they both made profit i think
#58  July 12, 2015, 03:30:48 am
what's your point. an 8bit street fighter game at this point would be brutally disappointing
#59  July 12, 2015, 03:31:45 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I dont see how thats relevant, does anyone think people would buy sfV if it was all made with nes style graphics like both of those?

some say 2D is easier to make and others say 3D is easier , in my opinion it depends on the person doing it, some well find 2D easeir to make while other would find it harder

I dont know where you are going with this  I dont know where anyone is going with this! D:
#60  July 12, 2015, 03:33:56 am

plus 3d models themselves cost money to make, as you have to hire people who make 3d models and animate them. SNK went the extra mile and converted it all to 2D in a short time, which used up almost more than half their budget.

or use real actors to animate instead of 3d models :)
#61  July 12, 2015, 03:39:33 am
i think it's safe to ignore you right now.
anyways, im still convinced that bugya must have used a filter or some kind of method to convert his DMC rips into sprites

they just don't look handdrawn to me.
#62  July 12, 2015, 03:40:55 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
A fighting game should always strive to be as fluid and responsive as possible. There is absolutely no reason for Street Fighter to go back to 2D sprites  and animation shortcuts now, just like there's no reason for Guilty Gear to go back to 2D sprites after Xrd. Go play 3rd Strike if you need a sprite fix.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#63  July 12, 2015, 03:43:38 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
A fighting game should always strive to be as fluid and responsive as possible. There is absolutely no reason for Street Fighter to go back to 2D sprites  and animation shortcuts now, just like there's no reason for Guilty Gear to go back to 2D sprites after Xrd. Go play 3rd Strike if you need a sprite fix.

Basically this, the industry has moved on. But just because they went 3D doesn't mean that 2D is completely dead, and GG Xrd is a great example of that, IMO.

anyways, im still convinced that bugya must have used a filter or some kind of method to convert his DMC rips into sprites

I'm pretty sure that the face and minor details were edited by hand.
#64  July 12, 2015, 04:11:08 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
Nope, It shouldn,t.
Even more, hey will not make SF HD again.
Sprites is harder to do. Besides, with love of Capcom to make it money with payable alternative costumes (What is practicaly impossible...), sprited game will be just unprofitable for them.
So... Nope.
#65  July 12, 2015, 04:11:53 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Basically this, the industry has moved on. But just because they went 3D doesn't mean that 2D is completely dead, and GG Xrd is a great example of that, IMO.

the game with the most expensive and detailed 3d ever is an example that 2d is not dead?
the game that showed that 2d was so expensive that it was cheaper to do it by using 3d models and cheating the eye into thinking its 2d?
#66  July 12, 2015, 04:12:58 am
lol
#67  July 12, 2015, 04:13:53 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

the game with the most expensive and detailed 3d ever is an example that 2d is not dead?
the game that showed that 2d was so expensive that it was cheaper to do it by using 3d models and cheating the eye into thinking its 2d?

I was talking about how they gave GG Xrd a very 2D-ish feel, even though it was entirely made in 3D. IMO, looking at GG Xrd in action was like watching an anime, except in 3D. But I get that I didn't make much sense there in the first place, sorry about that.
#68  July 12, 2015, 04:15:49 am
i think it's safe to ignore you right now.

ignore me? mortal kombat did this just without the drawing

lui

#69  July 12, 2015, 04:16:38 am
    • USA
that was digitized sprites and thats because mortal kombat was with a piss poor budget at the time.
#70  July 12, 2015, 04:16:53 am
what mortal kombat did is entirely different from what bugya did. again, what the fuck are you talking about
#71  July 12, 2015, 04:18:52 am
    • USA
Not to mention Mortal Kombat has NEVER looked back as soon as it jumped to 3D so it's an incredibly silly example.

But then again so was Megaman 9 and Shovel Knight, so I guess we're officially in the hole-digging portion of this topic
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:21:53 am by Speedpreacher
#72  July 12, 2015, 04:21:10 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
#73  July 12, 2015, 04:46:04 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Also they could cut the number of frames instead of having 100000 frames per character like blazblue
Outside of stances, BB doesn't have the smoothest animation out there so no.
It did look like shit.

BB does that as well, but yeah, they still have to rig the models and deal with bones, weights and all that. It does cut corners but not as much a people think it does.
#74  July 12, 2015, 05:04:45 am
  • Outchea Grindin'
    • USA
    • warrenh89@live.com
HD Remix was an ambitious effort, I applaud UDON for tackling it, and I commend them for keeping the original frame counts intact for authenticity but yeah it just doesn't hold up outside of that.

#75  July 12, 2015, 07:20:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
A fighting game should always strive to be as fluid and responsive as possible.

There is absolutely no reason for Street Fighter to go back to 2D sprites  and animation shortcuts now, just like there's no reason for Guilty Gear to go back to 2D sprites after Xrd.

those two things are unrelated,
#76  July 13, 2015, 04:28:17 am
using actors for animation is called rotoscoping, it was used in out of this world a super nintendo game way back and it could be used to animate characters
#77  July 13, 2015, 04:29:45 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
using actors for animation is called rotoscoping, it was used in out of this world a super nintendo game way back and it could be used to animate characters

What does that have to do with the above conversation, let alone anything?
#78  July 13, 2015, 04:39:21 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
I think he's a bot.
#79  July 13, 2015, 08:01:03 am
#80  July 13, 2015, 08:03:03 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Or... just use 3D models. Drawing over 3D models or artists just for the sake of having "sprites" sounds pretty pointless.

Shit
#81  July 14, 2015, 07:35:13 am
It's cheap to draw over live actors has anyone tried that? Anyway remember when Street Fighter 4 first came out and the trailers showed ryu and ken fighting with 3D models everyone was calling it Street fighter EX4 and demanded sprites. Now a few versions of street fighter 4(and SF5 in production)later people are saying 2D is trash. Times have changed quickly
#82  July 14, 2015, 07:38:30 am
  • Shit
All you are pointing out are some random people's opinions.

I also don't recall anyone saying 2D is trash. What the shit are you even talking about?

Shit
#83  July 14, 2015, 07:38:58 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
2008 -> 2015
Not that quickly.

Besides, no one is saying 2D is trash, people are giving a lot of reasons why they chose 3D, it's your fault if you don't want to understand them.

:ninja: 'ed by Roach
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#84  July 14, 2015, 08:55:07 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
It's cheap to draw over live actors has anyone tried that?
Yeah, have you?
Because there's plenty of reasons why that's a stupid idea and why it would be extremely inconvenient to do that.

Bea

#85  July 14, 2015, 03:21:16 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Yeah, have you?
Because there's plenty of reasons why that's a stupid idea and why it would be extremely inconvenient to do that.

Not to mention that live actors are limited by human anatomy.
There is a lot of movements that would be impossible to capture and rotoscope over because humans simply cannot do them, or cannot do them without hurting themselves.

#86  July 14, 2015, 06:26:28 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
like broken articulations and changin limb size at will, which are like the very basis of animation, lol.
#87  July 14, 2015, 06:32:26 pm
Still, it's much easier to draw over an existing pose, scale the limbs, draw the face, than having nothing for a base.
#88  July 14, 2015, 06:40:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it's much easier for a mildly experienced animator to sketch a pose, do a few volumes and draw over that, than direct an actor to pose properly.

I deally the animator would have an idea of how martial arts work, either by practicing a few of those himself, or by being a fan (preferably both), this while being specific to fighting games.

[EDIT]
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/
150k for one character
lol, and ggxrd ones costed like 16kper character, most likely 20k if you ad the programming and testing costs
Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:44:50 pm by Bastard Mami
#89  July 15, 2015, 01:27:00 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The limitations of human movement is just one issue (A big one). With a 3D model it's far easier to just not render the background instead of cleaning a green screen and dealing with the matte reflecting onto the actor's, spills, artifacts, motion blur and other FUN stuff.
Also with a 3D model you can color code areas way more easily to make the process way easier (Coloring the limbs a different color to differentiate them from the rest of the body during complex poses) you can cellshade the model to make the tracing process less of a pain, etc.

Sure you can give someone colored gloves and tights, sure you can also stretch and modify the footage to give someone inhuman proportions (And most likely ending up with extremely inconsistent results) but that one guy says it's easier when it's clear that he doesn't have the slightest clue as to how this works, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the process and why he's being unreasonable and his posts plain suck.
#90  July 15, 2015, 09:46:13 am
like sd said but i bet he won't even read what you've said.
#91  July 15, 2015, 08:15:58 pm
  • Shit
He would probably come up with yet another bad excuse to back his opinion as if it was a fact that every fighting game company should do. That what he's been doing so far in this thread.

Shit
#92  July 15, 2015, 08:38:54 pm
I've mentioned this before, but there is a chance for 2D to come back, Spine and Spriter are basically frankenspriting softwares that you can pretty much do anything with, if you have a small character sheet to work with, and with minimum drawing required. This 2D Hack N Slash game was made entirely with Spine.
here's another video demonstrating what Spine can do.
#93  July 16, 2015, 03:08:12 am
yes , this is what we needed, thanks for sharing  :sugoi:
#94  July 16, 2015, 03:14:33 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Thats the same technique used for all the flash based 2d games in like, forever. there was a whole gundam game animated like this almost ten years ago.

This isnt some new revolution or idea, theres a reason why companies are still doing fighters in 3d instead of using ragdoll animation.
It looks cheap as heck.
Its usually used in hack and slashes and other games like that, I dont see how you would do a street fighter with the quality you all expect from one with it.

#95  July 16, 2015, 03:37:42 am
being able to animate like that sounds awesome on paper but look at most animations on good 2d fighting games and you wouldn't be able to recreate them faithfully without having to draw a lot of frames

Bea

#96  July 16, 2015, 03:41:50 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
That technique also works better on very stylized, cartoonish sprites.
Try to put more realistic anatomy there and it starts breaking apart badly.

#97  July 16, 2015, 03:51:19 am
Thats the same technique used for all the flash based 2d games in like, forever. there was a whole gundam game animated like this almost ten years ago.
man i would love to continue debating with you about the differences between flash and spine/spriter, but i would risk sounding like a commercial. so i'll just leave it at that.
Its usually used in hack and slashes and other games like that, I dont see how you would do a street fighter with the quality you all expect from one with it.
yes, those softwares should never be used for an SF game, not after SFIII raised the bar very high for 2D animation in fighting games.
i believe the ones who should be using it are people who can't afford traditional animation but still wanna make pretty looking 2D games, and if it could be used for a hack and slash game, why wouldn't it work on a fighting game?
#98  July 16, 2015, 03:58:00 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Oh you mean like Rumble Fish aka the game no one bought?
#99  July 16, 2015, 04:01:14 am
it's possible to do it that way but unless you still draw a shitload of sprites it's gonna look bad
#100  July 16, 2015, 04:07:28 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
When the comparison is this:

2d

3d

3d

Having a game that looks like

Isnt going to make you look good.

and yes im aware of the difference between flash and spriter, but a ragdoll animator, while good, isnt the ideal thing for a game where you have to keep redrawing the frames. Its an option but not one that somehow impacts capcom decision to "return sf to 2d"
2d animation usualy has few shortcuts avaliable to look comparable to the quality everyone expects.  This is just not as much of a breakthrough as you seem to believe, if you want the quality the same ammount of work as in skullgirls and the like would probably still be needed.
#101  July 16, 2015, 04:08:00 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/

Yes it fucking did. Not only did it look like shit, it was a HUGE missed opportunity to TRULY remaster SF2. I expected completely new animation and gameplay that was more like the SFA games, and what do they do? Same number of frames that are drawn over Bengus's portraits and changes that could be done by hacking the SSF2T ROM.
#102  July 16, 2015, 04:10:13 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
tbh It didnt look bad in the first plans, before they forced them to only do fixed frames.
Back when they had far more shades.
#103  July 16, 2015, 06:32:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yah iirc I thinkt hey also chagned outsorucing plans from american/siomehting company to a korean/chinesse one, which is the the colour/shading drop happened.
#104  July 17, 2015, 06:14:59 am
Has anyone ever tried drawing over live actors? i need an answer to that question
#105  July 17, 2015, 06:35:03 am
that sounds like a waste of money. you'd be paying for live actors to play out several animations, and then you'd pay an artist to trace over ever single image. i don't know why i'm bothering with this reply since you just post inane shit and ignore most if not all replies
#106  July 17, 2015, 06:42:17 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Has anyone ever tried drawing over live actors? i need an answer to that question

Yeah, have you?

Not to mention that live actors are limited by human anatomy.
There is a lot of movements that would be impossible to capture and rotoscope over because humans simply cannot do them, or cannot do them without hurting themselves.
It was answered, you just didn't read it.
#107  July 17, 2015, 11:48:08 am
yes, the old 40s cartoons used to rotoscope live actors, but nobody does it anymore because it's counter productive like it was mentioned above.
trying reading what other people are writing instead of shelling out random comments like a child.
#108  July 17, 2015, 06:08:42 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

no, nobody has ever tried that, you are a genious and the first person who tought of doing so. brb, watching aku no hana and then aha's take on me video.
#109  July 18, 2015, 03:32:20 am
Sorry for not reading the posts about drawing over actors i honestly didn't see them. The reason i am asking all these questions about 2D is not for capcom, but for my own 2D project i was thinking about doing through kickstarter. I was wondering the best route to making a game that looks like blazeblu but is a beat,um up with 3D bosses in the mix.  So thanks for the input about what is wrong with my ideas, but what is the best route to making a game that looks like that?

#110  July 18, 2015, 04:54:27 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
No offense but if you didnt know this information then you don't have the technical know how to even BEGIN to put together something for a kickstarter.

It feels like you're out of order in this. You have a game plan and ideas and you use a kickstarter to help make those come to life. You don't decide to make a kickstarter then figure out the gameplan after the fact. You're wanting ideas to fund a kickstarter when you should be wanting a kickstarter to fund your ideas.
Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:12:17 am by Just No Point
#111  July 18, 2015, 06:46:34 am
that's why i need to find out what won't and will work before i start hence, asking for a way to create good anime style graphics. i already have the characters and moves planned i need to know what is possible technically before i start
#112  July 18, 2015, 07:13:16 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
#113  July 18, 2015, 08:22:41 am
wait wait what do you mean not for capcom title says the next street fighter should be hd 2d.
#114  July 18, 2015, 08:32:35 am
so this whole thread was just a bait for us to give you some insight on 2d animation because you lazied out on researching it? why the fuck can't you be honest and just say that out front? you're an asshole.
and you didn't even listen to half of what was told to you here so gtfo
#115  July 18, 2015, 09:50:06 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I'm pretty sure this after-the-fact justification is just him trying to cover his own ass.

lui

#116  July 18, 2015, 10:00:26 am
    • USA
im surprised this conversation went past 3 pages anyway
#117  July 18, 2015, 10:14:41 am
guys, chill

Sorry for not reading the posts about drawing over actors i honestly didn't see them. The reason i am asking all these questions about 2D is not for capcom, but for my own 2D project i was thinking about doing through kickstarter. I was wondering the best route to making a game that looks like blazeblu but is a beat,um up with 3D bosses in the mix.  So thanks for the input about what is wrong with my ideas, but what is the best route to making a game that looks like that?

ok, I think I somehow saw that comming since I had the same plans , if you want advice then well, 3 steps must be taken

-build an audience
-build an audience
-build an audience

so how to  build an audience you may ask, just start with something simple, right now I'm doing a light novel project , it aims to build an audience then i'll be going for kickstarter when i find people that are intrested 

so yaa, start with small things like a novel or anything else that doesn't have a lot of risk

good luck
#118  July 18, 2015, 10:29:17 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
so yaa, start with small things like a novel or anything else that doesn't have a lot of risk
Does your novel involve alien catgirls that illegally come to Earth to have sex with a generally unpopular otaku
good god I can't remember the last time I ever did that, I retire!
#119  July 18, 2015, 11:15:50 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#120  July 18, 2015, 05:56:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Also, like TDS said, you got a long way to go. You really don't seem to have the knowledge it takes. The only way to get "good anime style graphics" is to just... draw them. There are no shortcuts.

it's either dragin them directly or use good 3d models, like arcsys did.

Does your novel involve alien catgirls that illegally come to Earth to have sex with a generally unpopular otaku
why would it not ?
#121  July 18, 2015, 06:07:00 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
you are just coming across as a huge asshole that cant read explanations other give them, knows nothing about the theme and still acts entitld as if he knew everything there was to know. If you wanted to engage people in conversation so they taught you more  you went exactly the wrong way about it.

This seems common for the people that think they can kickstart their lack of knowledge away. maybe you should try kickstarting to get money to hire people that have the knowledge you lack.
#122  July 18, 2015, 10:07:00 pm
#123  July 19, 2015, 01:37:22 am
what is it with you people and cats?!
#124  July 19, 2015, 01:47:43 am
    • USA