YesNoOk

Super Armor and Hyper Armor (Mechanics) (Read 12078 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, May 11, 2016, 08:29:04 pm
Share this topic:
Super Armor and Hyper Armor (Mechanics)
#1  May 11, 2016, 08:29:04 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Super Armor and Hyper Armor, collectively referred to as "Armor", is a property of certain attacks in fighting games.

In most fighting games, there is no distinction between Super Armor and Hyper Armor, as they both refer to the same property. Armor grants a character with the ability to absorb a single attack without having their current animation interrupted as they normally would when being hit, but will still take damage. In some games, damage that is received during Armor will instead be applied as provisional damage instead of losing it outright, and will gradually recover if the player is not hit again within a certain time frame. Most attacks with Armor properties typically only grant one hit worth of armor, so it will not be able to stop repeated jabs or multi-hit attacks. Additionally, the Armor property will not protect the user against throws and command grabs. There are, however, exceptions to these rules;

• In the Street Fighter IV series, each character has an attack with the Armor Break property, which will immediately bypass any armor the opponent may have, even if the attack in question does not hit multiple times and is not a grab.
  • Certain attacks will grant unlimited armor for a certain amount of time, essentially allowing the character to absorb an infinite number of hits until the armor wears off on its own (ie: Hugo's EX Meat Squasher)
  • Certain boss characters will often have Armor constantly applied to them, usually combined with Throw invincibility (ie: Galactus in Marvel vs Capcom 3)

In MUGEN, Armor can easily be replicated using the HitOverride controller.
Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:34:39 pm by Ricepigeon
Re: Super Armor and Hyper Armor (Mechanics)
#2  May 11, 2016, 09:12:17 pm
  • Hey, I'm Grump!
    • USA
    • soldier.ucoz.net/
There's also the option of a helper based "armor".
It can offer more options that are easier to control, but also limit other things as well. It depends on your preference. Mine obviously being the helper despite it's damage controlling difficulties. With a helper based "armor" it's essentially the same effect as any other, but you can more easily have it use it's own sounds, effects, etc.

(Youtube) (WIP) (Mediafire) (New Anime Shop) My Manga Reviews! Personal favorite Patreon! Check her out!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Re: Super Armor and Hyper Armor (Mechanics)
#3  May 13, 2016, 04:09:16 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I want to add that in Capcom games Super Armor refers to armor that has a set number of hit points before you break the armor and make the opponent go into hitstun. While Hyper Armor has infinite hit points.