YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 1111104 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#1941  October 04, 2018, 06:28:24 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The original Mario vs. Sonic had power-ups in play though and the animation had them going through them. The end result was that both series power-ups had ways to cancel each other(ex. Fire Flower is useless against Sonic because Flame shield is a thing. Super Sonic doesn't work against Mario because he has his own set of invincibility granting items) so they settled into what they're capable of at their base form deciding that Sonic wins because Mario has no way to beat Sonic's speed. That's why for Luigi vs Tails and DK vs. Knuckles they focused on the unique things the characters had and ignored power-ups.

That said the original match was 7 years ago and both Mario and Sonic has had plenty of games since then and obviously new tools to play with, so it's possible they're bringing back power-ups because there may be something that isn't countered by the other this time.
#1942  October 04, 2018, 07:55:40 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Cappy is probably the biggest one, and since Sonic doesn't wear headgear or know about it it's going to be hard for him to counter it.  I don't believe he has had any significant new things since the last matchup, unless they count Boom Sonic.
#1943  October 04, 2018, 08:10:49 am
^

They probably will considering they used Boom Knuckles' volcano creating feat, despite it only being used in the cartoon's Intro.
#1944  October 04, 2018, 08:36:31 am
    • Puerto Rico
The thing with Cappy is that he could be considered outside help which is against the rules of DB.

Now, you could make the argument that it wasn't enforced for Future Batman vs Future Spidey, but at the same time, it technically wasn't really outside help for Future Spidey because it was an AI and could be seen more like just another tool and Future Batman didn't REALLY need Original Batman for this matchup as he could have figured it out on his own.
#1945  October 05, 2018, 12:43:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Cappy also just became part of Mario's typical every-day attire.  Though it's implied at the end of Odyssey that they part ways and Cappy goes back to his usual ghostly self and I guess Mario's just gonna have to go find a hatter, without a new main title it's viable to just infer that Mario's default hat and Cappy are one and the same until proven otherwise.

The thing I don't recall in Mario games that I likewise don't recall Sonic having a counter to is time manipulation.  Sonic has trouble with Shadow doing it with Chaos Control, and I believe when Metal Sonic does it as well he doesn't have a direct counter other than "Try to not get hit".  A combination of those two new additions to Mario do help quite a bit.

Of course, Cappy could also just be there to prolong Mario's life, there were no defining rules on what can and can not be possessed by Cappy in Odyssey, just so long as it was solid.  I mean, you became a large chunk of roasted meat for one segment.  In fact, I wonder if he can just drop the hat onto the ground and possess the planet?  I don't think there were any size limitations placed.
#1946  October 11, 2018, 12:56:29 am
  • Rawr
    • USA
Sargnarg the Hardge Harg

#1947  October 11, 2018, 01:37:08 am
    • Puerto Rico
#1948  October 11, 2018, 01:43:09 am
    • USA
Hm.  Interesting.  While the Mario preview gave actual hard data, Sonic's only covered basics until it actually was starting to go into his limits.  It feels like they're setting it up to prepare for Sonic's loss?  Which I suppose is what we're meant to expect from this, but still.  I'm not a fan of using Mario sports games for feats, similar to fighting game mini-games, it rarely lines up for all contestants logically for what they should be capable because they're just that, mini-games made for fun over sense, but if they're going to insist on using that Amy thing for quantifying their speed (Despite Amy's, well, slow speed in the games, just matching others that're not Sonic.  Plus Silver being rather slow) then it's whatever I suppose.

I also see they did not use the appropriate title "Sonic Forces his way back into Death Battle", so they get the required 0/10 for this video.

I don't think there were any size limitations placed.
T-Rex has a time limit. When it runs out, Cappy says he couldn't maintain it captured any longer because it was too big.
Ah.  Guess I'd forgotten about that, but you are correct.  Well, I suppose size limitations won't be a problem here anyways, Sonic's not turning huge.  That falls upon the "fans" to envision.
#1949  October 13, 2018, 11:53:53 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
OMM
#1950  October 17, 2018, 09:43:22 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
It's out.

#1951  October 17, 2018, 11:43:57 pm
    • USA
Spoiler: This episode (click to see content)

Spoiler: Next episode (click to see content)
Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:52:20 pm by Long John Killer
#1952  October 18, 2018, 06:07:26 am
Spoiler: This episode (click to see content)

Spoiler: Next episode (click to see content)