YesNoOk

Location of Jump command code [solved] (Read 315 times)

Started by TinFoilMkIV, March 05, 2010, 05:58:35 am
Share this topic:
Location of Jump command code [solved]
New #1  March 05, 2010, 05:58:35 am
    • droidz.org/
Well I just recently started a project where I'm planning to do some real modification to the core game system of MUGEN to create a somewhat different playstyle.

Anyways the issue is that I'm trying to wire the 'jump' command to a key instead of the up arrow, but I can't seem to locate where the code for such basic commands like this. I haven't been able to locate it in the command or constant files for the character I'm currently testing with, and it doesn't seem to be located in the common1 file either, since when I remove the common states, although it wont jump (since theres no state telling it what to do when you jump) it still sends the character into State 40 (the jump start state). Again I can't seem to locate the code where this function is set, so if anyone knows either where its located, or a good place to look, I'd appreciate the help.
Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:29:25 am by TinFoilMkIV
Re: Location of Jump command code
#2  March 05, 2010, 06:04:01 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
jump and other basic states are hard coded on the mugen engine.
however, if you simply create a "state 40" mugen will use that instead of the one hardcoded.

same thing with the rest of this "basic states".
#3  March 05, 2010, 06:11:27 am
    • droidz.org/
I thought that might be the case, well that at least answers my question more or less.

Although what do you mean by creating a state 40 to use instead? Won't it still automatically send it to state 40 whenever up is pressed? I was thinking I would just have to work around state 40, perhaps have state 40 automatically revert back to state 0 or something along those lines.
#4  March 05, 2010, 06:22:10 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
If you create state 40 to do something OTHER than jump, up will send you to that state. Look up maybe like a platformer?

You then recreate state 40 under another number and have a key send you to that.

State 40 = jump start.
State 50 = Jumping
State 45 = Air Jump
State 52 = Jump Land

40 and 45 are hardcoded to be accessed by the up key. Alter what they do, you won't be sent straight to 50 and can create a state that'll do it for you.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  March 05, 2010, 06:26:14 am
    • droidz.org/
yea, thats how I thought it would work. Tony's explanation wasn't very clear to me I suppose. Anyways, I just gotta figure out what to do with state 40&45 now, I don't particularly want up to do much of anything for my purposes, just have to make sure that cutting to those states doesn't mess anything up.

Anyways, thanks, problem more or less solved for the moment.

EDIT: hmm, either the mark as solved function has gone AWOL or its just hiding from me . . .
if any mods see this feel free to mark as solved.