YesNoOk

One Piece (Read 190295 times)

Started by Foobs, September 04, 2017, 06:29:15 pm
Share this topic:
Re: One Piece
#21  September 23, 2017, 07:25:14 pm
doflamingo's fight may have been quite challenging to luffy but it was not a very entertaining fight to watch. it felt like it was choreographed by michael bay.
they kept on slamming each other around dressrosa, dofa used his long range df awakening way too much and the fight ended with luffy destroying dofa with a deus ex machina transformation.
it doesn't hold a candle to rob lucci's fight, arlong's or even croccodile's. don't even get me started on ceasor clown's fight.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#22  October 03, 2017, 01:21:59 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
So who wants to take bets on how they're getting out of this?  Even money on Jinbe waterbending that tidal wave out of the way or the Sun Pirates pulling some kind of underwater save.  Payout doubles for a Deus ex Machina appearance by Marco or Kuzan.

Although, considering how this fight is going so far it'll likely run with a fakeout acting like they all died for a few chapters, giving Luffy the motivation to awaken his Devil Fruit and beat Katakuri.
#23  October 03, 2017, 03:29:34 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
I think the straw hats are good. Like you said, Jimbe can pretty much control water. I doubt Big Mom is going to come crashing down on the Sunny if she thinks the wedding cake on the ship but she could. If she does, maybe the fishman that Chopper saw early has something to do with Aladdin? If that is the case, maybe the tsunami will mess the ship up. I don't know if Luffy will get his awakening this soon, we just found out about it awakening a few arcs ago but it could happen. I do think we could possibly see a new form of gear 4, that could possibly have some effect on Katakuri. I think Katakuri could maybe even have some kind of counter form for gear 4 though.
#24  October 03, 2017, 04:42:49 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I still don't know how this arc can end without some major bullshitting. All of Checkhov's guns have been fired already (BM's vivre card, the tama-thing from Fishman Island and Caesar's chemical weapons) and they've only had enough impact for the SH to run away.

Oda has made it clear the crew can't brute-force their way out of this conundrum...and even if Luffy goes SSJ and beats Katakuri to a pulp he just shouldn't be taking on BM herself so soon. The wedding cake has to solve this mess somehow.
Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:32:07 pm by Magneto so Pringles
#25  October 03, 2017, 09:12:45 pm
    • USA
It does feel like the stakes have been raised impossibly high in this arc, but part of that might be due to the fact that they've only had the weakest fighters on the crew to work with for most of it.

I still say it's going to wind up with Big Mom being distracted by the cake long enough for the them to get away, and when she comes back to her senses enough damage will have been done that there's no way for her to pursue them.
Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:30:06 am by Person Man
#26  October 04, 2017, 10:52:21 am
im sticking to what i said earlier, they're either gonna poison the cake or put some magical concoction that will sedate big mom.
#27  October 04, 2017, 12:28:55 pm
    • USA
I feel like Sanji has too much pride as a chef to treat food as a weapon like that, though.
#28  October 05, 2017, 05:03:45 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Jinbe uses Surf!
It's super effective!
#29  October 05, 2017, 08:49:57 pm
    • USA
Not how I was expecting that to go, but that was an awesome move.  Also Katakuri is now Joseph Joestar, apparently.

Spoiler: Further smug self-satisfaction (click to see content)
#30  October 06, 2017, 02:19:10 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Person Man, I love that your guess might be right. It would be cool to see if Jinbe becomes part of the crew at the end of this, because that was pure badass.
#31  October 06, 2017, 01:23:36 pm
not trying to shut you down or anything but jinbe taking the helmsman role in the strawhats has been a (very) common guess ever since we saw him steer a marine ship from impel down.
#32  October 06, 2017, 04:36:59 pm
    • USA
I'm still comfortable taking the win.  I never said I was the first to guess that.

:EDIT:  Copypasting this from a Reddit post because it's fucking gold.

Spoiler: 882 'prediction' (click to see content)
Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:48:59 am by Person Man
#33  October 27, 2017, 01:32:48 pm
    • USA
So much for the chances of there being even one character in this series who isn't a total clownshoes weirdo.

RIP, serious Katakuri.  You're a real One Piece character now.
#34  October 27, 2017, 03:21:40 pm
one piece actually subverts that trope, and it generally never really took itself seriously (which i like alot about it btw).
you know what took itself seriously? bleach. with all of its macho edgy characters with big ass swords and mean mugs, it comes off as try hard.

besides, you still have quite a few serious character like law, rob lucci, jinbe, and most of the marine commanders.
#35  October 27, 2017, 04:01:20 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
YUMMY YUMMY DONUTS! NOM NOM ♥

The first people that come to mind when I think of serious OP characters are Crocodile, Silvers, Hawkeye and Smoker. There's plenty of serious characters if you stop to think about it for a while, but they're mostly minor, underdeveloped or "mysterious" characters who don't get under the spotlight often (e.g. Dragon, Fujitora, Kuma).
#36  October 27, 2017, 05:06:53 pm
    • USA
Oh, I know there’s plenty of serious characters.  Law is basically what the main protagonist of the series would be if took itself at all seriously.

I just find it hilarious that Oda would spend all this time building Katakuri up as this noble, dignified badass all for the sake of a gag where he gets caught rolling around on the ground shoveling donuts into his giant stupid mouth going “yum yum yum.”  It’s so quintessentially ‘One Piece,’ you know?
#37  November 02, 2017, 05:53:57 pm
damn, luffy is getting destroyed. just when you thought he had a chance to win, katakuri snuffs it.

oh yeah we also got a possible explanation on why akainu wasn't effected by haki attacks back in the marineford battle. he predicted them, and dodged them by changing shape.

Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:08:26 pm by Gennos
#38  November 02, 2017, 11:24:58 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I thought Oda had retconned Katakuri's DF to a paramecia in the tankobons or something. Or is it just Luffy assuming he's a logia?
#39  November 03, 2017, 12:16:09 am
    • USA
Ah, there's the Sun Pirates asspull I was waiting on.  I forgot that Praline had defected to the 'Anti-Big Mom' side.  And I had also forgotten that Pekoms was still a member of Big Mom's crew, so his reactions here keep catching me off guard.

Oda's introduced so many Big Mom crew members and keeps making them switch sides so much I'm genuinely having trouble remembering who is and isn't one of the enemies.

I thought Oda had retconned Katakuri's DF to a paramecia in the tankobons or something. Or is it just Luffy assuming he's a logia?

Apparently it's a "special paramecia" which I guess means it works like a logia too.
#40  November 03, 2017, 07:33:07 am
thats unnecessarily confusing. i thought he was a logia, he submerged a huge spear into his body and he can liquefy it at will.