YesNoOk

Super Butōden 2 style SSJ1 Teen Gohan (Concept/Planning) (Read 6648 times)

Started by Lichtbringer, September 04, 2016, 04:52:17 pm
Super Butōden 2 style SSJ1 Teen Gohan (Concept/Planning)
#1  September 04, 2016, 04:52:17 pm
    • Germany
I'm collecting old DBZ chars for some time now, and found many interesting chars that had good ideas but where never finished, and that motivated me to start my own little project.  :)

I would realy like to create a "oldschool" Dragon Ball Z char, I found some old sprites for a SSJ1 Teen Gohan, the color palette is a mess, but I think I can fix the parts I need, and start a new character with them.

I will need some time to clean them up the hair from the original sprites, it has up to 16 Colors that change from sprite to sprite sometimes.  o_O

So now to the important stuff, my plans for the Gameplay.

I plan to give the char a custom gameplay style so I don't have to watch for gamplay accuracy, I want to keep the char simple and fun, but I'm not sure about some other aspects and want to discuss this here.

The current plans are:

4-button controls

(Ki blast)
(Punch)
(Kick)
(Power Charge)

Melee Special:
Super Assault Combo

Melee Super:
Chou Maretsugeki

Ki Special:
Masenko

Ki Super:
Kamehameha

Despiration Attack:
A Rush attack followed by a Super Kamehameha (Not 100% sure about that)

Little info about the melee attacks.
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Assault_Combo
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Chou_Maretsugeki

For the effects I just want to go with the stuff that you can see in the Super Butōden games and maybe editing them a bit to make them look less static and add here and there something from Hyper Dimension, but nothig from capcom or SNK games or other super fancy stuff if it is not necessary.

Normal:

With some extra flickering:

I'm not sure about the Beam Attacks right now, my current plan is to make it a constant full screen beam like it is used many classic Mugen DBZ chars, because I don't know if there is a way to add a growing beam attack that makes the char not complete useless against other DBZ chars that don't have something similar added to them.

Other things I have to consider are flying and teleporting, I will probably don't add any way of flying because of the problems the AI has with it, and that most stages a simply not made for flying characters.

The thing with teleporting is that I think the best way to add it, would be only as part off a special or maybe very limited, I have seen many chars that suffer from teleporting bugs, who will Teleport outside of stages or don't stop teleporting and stuff like that.

It would be nice if you guys could give me some feedback about my plans before I beginn to code the project, I realy want to know what you guys think about this concept, if it can work, if I forgot something important and if you have any suggetions and tips that could improve it, this would be my first real character and I'm open for anything that can help me with it.  :)
Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:41:49 am by Lichtbringer
Re: Super Butōden 2 style SSJ1 Teen Gohan (Concept/Planning)
#2  September 19, 2016, 01:25:05 pm
#3  September 19, 2016, 04:36:03 pm
    • Germany
Why is there yellow on his face?
It was part of the Original hair, to be honest my original plan was to just reduce the colors and use what I have, made some changes here and there and make some stuff with rotsprite for some of the different head positions, since I'm not realy a great in editing sprites. =/

His hair tufts are not the same as when he's Super Saiyan 2, so you need more editing on the hair and face.
Thx for the advice.  :)

Here's my edit:

Wow that is much better, would you allow me to use your edit?

Btw. thx for replying here, I was already afraid that no one would post here.
#4  September 19, 2016, 05:10:52 pm
Of course you can use it.
Just don't paste it (the hair) in every sprite. :P It would look bad, that's what I mean. Just look at the two references I used (SSJ2 Gohan), their hair is different.
#5  September 20, 2016, 07:23:56 pm
    • Germany
Of course you can use it.
Just don't paste it (the hair) in every sprite. :P It would look bad, that's what I mean. Just look at the two references I used (SSJ2 Gohan), their hair is different.

I will try my best, but I can't make any promises, I'm not good at creating sprites from scratch, because of that I used the other sprites in the first place and did not try to create the hair myself.  :embarrassed:
#6  September 21, 2016, 10:51:39 am
You need to have attention to detail: just think about it, if his head turns his hair can't look the same as when his face is looking to the right; you would have to move the hair as well.
You can use the old hair as a base (where can I download the old sprites/character? :P I want to see the sprites) and edit it.

When I drew the hair I didn't just use those references, I also checked this: http://www.rubberslug.com/img_show.aspx?ImageID=523545&X=530&Section=Item
Look at how his hair is drawn and make your changes in regards to the style you want to copy.
If you look at the picture I linked above you'll see his hair is not as defined as in my sprite, but that's because I had to make it as close to the original sprites as possible, in other words for style accuracy.
#7  September 21, 2016, 11:51:07 am
    • Germany
You need to have attention to detail: just think about it, if his head turns his hair can't look the same as when his face is looking to the right; you would have to move the hair as well.
You can use the old hair as a base (where can I download the old sprites/character? :P I want to see the sprites) and edit it.

When I drew the hair I didn't just use those references, I also checked this: http://www.rubberslug.com/img_show.aspx?ImageID=523545&X=530&Section=Item
Look at how his hair is drawn and make your changes in regards to the style you want to copy.
If you look at the picture I linked above you'll see his hair is not as defined as in my sprite, but that's because I had to make it as close to the original sprites as possible, in other words for style accuracy.

I will try my best, I will start on the weekend since I have to redo all sprites I did before.^^

About the Original Sprites, I used the Sprites from GohanSSJ1 (by Drogu), you can find him here:

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/vegetto29/chars4.htm

It's a Unfinished char as far as I know, I looked at the CLSN just for fun, it is a real mess, even I can see it. Ö_Ö

Edit: Btw. the .dbm files are just renames zips or Rars or something, they can be opened with winrar and probably any other tool that can handle zip and rar files.
Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:09:55 pm by Lichtbringer
#8  September 21, 2016, 12:38:52 pm
Oh look, an italian site. :mlol:

When editing his sprites, remember to have some references to check, they'll help. ;)