YesNoOk

Is MUGEN compatible with YellowDog Linux (PS3)? (Read 5008 times)

Started by XamΣeta, August 01, 2008, 05:27:28 pm
Share this topic:
Is MUGEN compatible with YellowDog Linux (PS3)?
#1  August 01, 2008, 05:27:28 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Hey guys,

I'll be purchasing Yellow Dog Linux for my PS3 real soon and was hoping I could get some feedback from anybody who has undergone this experience already.

- Will Hires Mugen + work on my brand new toy? (I so look forward to taking all that 6GB out of my laptop XP)

- What about the media plugins compatibility (mp3, oog, etc.)?

If somebody can shed some light on the subject it would be most appreciated as I'm new to Linux and learning as I go.

Thanks in advance.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
Re: Is MUGEN compatible with YellowDog Linux (PS3)?
New #2  August 02, 2008, 09:09:51 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
- Will Hires Mugen + work on my brand new toy? (I so look forward to taking all that 6GB out of my laptop XP)
No, not natively anyway.  I was going to install ubuntu 8.04 on mine, but it wouldn't register the disc (8.04 doesn't support PS3).  You probably could run Mugen by running another Linux / Windows operating system with an x86 emulator (this could be complicated to setup... which is why we never heard anyone with success).  All versions of Mugen are compiled for x86 chips while the PS3 is PPC, an x86 emulator is 100% necessary.

- What about the media plugins compatibility (mp3, oog, etc.)?
If you mean on PS3 and not PS3 Linux... No lossless support at all... Sony developed a format that the PS3 supports, but not the lossless version of that format.  It has an HDMI port and digital audio port and doesn't support digital lossless audio.  Generally supports whatever is popular.  Linux however supports everything and that would probably include any PPC distro.

And ugh... you don't need to purchase YDL on PS3.  You can download YDL for free and install it when you purchase your PS3.  Looking up YDL's payment plan... you only pay for advanced releases, you'd get the same version 4 weeks after it's released (with Linux, having the absolute latest isn't a big deal).

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:13:49 am by John Cena of Chess