YesNoOk

So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still? (Read 7650418 times)

Started by vyn, June 06, 2019, 12:14:40 am
Share this topic:

Poll

What mugen version do you use the most??

39 (41.9%)
54 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Re: So, is mugen 1.1 general use now?, or do most people preffer 1.0 still?
#41  June 30, 2019, 05:19:41 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
1.1 now since I recently got my gaming laptop.
1.0 basically for older comps, but 1.1 if you have really good ram to run those heavy image files, and some other neat stuff.
#42  June 30, 2019, 06:10:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
So I guess the verdict is out? 1.1 is the more popular version.
#43  June 30, 2019, 09:54:33 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
I still use 1.0. For some reason, stages I use in 1.1 crashes while in 1.0 does not. Most of those stages are taken back when I used Winmugen and the ones that cause 1.1 to crash that come to mind are JAM's Street Fighter IV stages. They cause 1.1 to close completely, so I know it's not stable. Does anyone know that author have anything to do with it crashing?

Another reason is the lifebar portrait thing and the menu sound cut outs. I have a client that heavily relies on small portraits for the lifebar and not seeing them change along the palette bugs me. I even tried using 1.1 for Capcom vs SNK MUGEN and it keeps cutting off.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#44  June 30, 2019, 10:08:41 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
I still use 1.0. For some reason, stages I use in 1.1 crashes while in 1.0 does not. Most of those stages are taken back when I used Winmugen and the ones that cause 1.1 to crash that come to mind are JAM's Street Fighter IV stages. They cause 1.1 to close completely, so I know it's not stable. Does anyone know that author have anything to do with it crashing?

Another reason is the lifebar portrait thing and the menu sound cut outs. I have a client that heavily relies on small portraits for the lifebar and not seeing them change along the palette bugs me. I even tried using 1.1 for Capcom vs SNK MUGEN and it keeps cutting off.

The JAM stages are due to code that is obsolete I believe. No stage has made my Mugen crash other than JAM's and neither has the menu sound cut off for me ever. I use custom portraits so the palette thing doesn't concern me at least. I for one am very happy with 1.1 but I guess its the users with really old hardware that complain the most.
#45  June 30, 2019, 10:59:08 am
    • USA
The JAM stages are due to code that is obsolete I believe. No stage has made my Mugen crash other than JAM's and neither has the menu sound cut off for me ever. I use custom portraits so the palette thing doesn't concern me at least. I for one am very happy with 1.1 but I guess its the users with really old hardware that complain the most.
I figured it had something to do with JAM. Those were originally Winmugen stages and did had a lot of color loss, but it should have worked regardless of version. For the menu sound cut off thing, it must be screenpack dependent as I used Akito & OldGamer's Capcom vs SNK MUGEN which was causing problems with sounds. I liked that one because it fits the PotS theme, but this will probably force me to use other screenpacks.

I would also use custom portraits, if I didn't have to do it for over 1000 characters for my main client and a majority of those characters are just opponents for arcade mode.
#46  June 30, 2019, 11:11:49 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm with SolidZone on this one. Sound cut-off in screenpack and ports not sharing colors are really annoying, but besides this, I like using 1.1 because of the zoom feature. I also avoid OpenGL because my microwave drops FPS. Also since I'm constantly making content for MUGEN, I use 1.0 to test as I see people still uses it, I want to make my creations compatible with both. I'd do the same with WinMUGEN (yes, people also still use it) but there are some codes that are a must and crashes on WinMUGEN.
#47  June 30, 2019, 12:16:19 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Menu sound cut-off only occurs during screen transitions; you may have never noticed this because the fade durations are long enough for the sounds to play out fully in whatever screenpack you're using.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#48  June 30, 2019, 04:46:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#49  July 01, 2019, 01:08:41 am
    • USA
I'm with SolidZone on this one. Sound cut-off in screenpack and ports not sharing colors are really annoying, but besides this, I like using 1.1 because of the zoom feature. I also avoid OpenGL because my microwave drops FPS. Also since I'm constantly making content for MUGEN, I use 1.0 to test as I see people still uses it, I want to make my creations compatible with both. I'd do the same with WinMUGEN (yes, people also still use it) but there are some codes that are a must and crashes on WinMUGEN.
I should also mention that there are certain characters who have lifebars portraits that can glow such as Jmorphman's Chun-Li (Shadow Lady Mode) and Demitri. 1.1 completely breaks that feature and no custom portrait could ever fix that. If Elecbyte would ever come back to make 1.1 out of beta and fix all those issues, I would use it 100%.

Menu sound cut-off only occurs during screen transitions; you may have never noticed this because the fade durations are long enough for the sounds to play out fully in whatever screenpack you're using.
I think I remember when OldGamer helped Akito make the Capcom vs SNK Mugen screenpack, Akito wanted it to be for 1.0 as 1.1 doesn't run very well for him on his computer, so it was built for that in mind and was converted to 1.1 later on. That's probably why it had those issues.
#50  July 01, 2019, 04:53:51 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
So I guess the verdict is out? 1.1 is the more popular version.
Based on what, the forum post and the 60 or so people who voted in the poll?

Yeah pretty much. It's been almost a month since the poll was created and 60 is not at all a bad number considering how many users are active on here. It hasn't been neck and neck, with 1.1 being out in front throughout, which is pretty indicative of the popularity.
#51  July 01, 2019, 06:08:35 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I think you’re wildly underestimating how many people actively use MUGEN if you think 60 is a majority
#52  July 01, 2019, 09:03:03 pm
Im still sure more people use 1.0, it requires less to run and most people are used to it.
#53  July 01, 2019, 09:10:31 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Also, there're still some outcasts that still we use WinMugen and we aren't mentioned in this poll (BTW I voted 1.0 because is the second version I use, mostly for test my chars there or for 1.0 exclusive chars), I feel discriminated, if you ask me

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#54  July 02, 2019, 01:09:10 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I went full-fledged 1.1 because of OpenGL and being able to use floats for the position of the explods and helpers. I'm not bothered by the select ports not sharing the same color as the fighter on the lifebars because I use custom ports. I always had a problem with 1.0 where it can suddenly close with error while 1.1 doesn't. I don't like the zoom feature because it throws off a lot of explods and helpers not supported by the zoom.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#55  July 30, 2019, 11:05:06 am
    • USA
    • r.coburn08@yahoo.com
I went to 1.1 not too long ago. I still have 1.0 mugen. But since 1.1 is the new trend I may as well get on the train b4 1.0 gets played out. I think I'll just do my chars 1.1....
#56  July 30, 2019, 02:23:18 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭

I only lasted like a week or two with 1.0, but someone DM me a copy of the suppostly "private" alpha 1.1,
so... 1.0 became pointless all the sudden for me, since was puting more work for something that would "look" better if just move on.

So yeah, 1.1, now make my PC burn to ashes with those fancy FX.
#57  July 30, 2019, 06:53:40 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
So, I want to use this topic to give me some light. Is it true that 1.0 is better for older computers? I use 1.1 but everything I have here is compatible with 1.0, except for some stages with zoom (which of course I can disable if I switch). Right now I sometimes experience a bit of FPS drop with 1.1, if I switch to 1.0 will the performance be better? Or am I missing something that makes 1.1 not drop frames (in mugen.cfg maybe)? Thanks in advance.
#58  July 30, 2019, 08:01:40 pm
    • Morocco
So, I want to use this topic to give me some light. Is it true that 1.0 is better for older computers? I use 1.1 but everything I have here is compatible with 1.0, except for some stages with zoom (which of course I can disable if I switch). Right now I sometimes experience a bit of FPS drop with 1.1, if I switch to 1.0 will the performance be better? Or am I missing something that makes 1.1 not drop frames (in mugen.cfg maybe)? Thanks in advance.

Mugen 1.1 uses OpenGL renderer which is a bit heavier than the old DirectX one.And yes if you switch to 1.0 performance will be better
#59  July 30, 2019, 10:29:51 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
The thing is I use DirectX on 1.1 too, and I still get fps drop sometimes.
#60  July 30, 2019, 11:12:37 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
you tried 4GB patch? search it in google,it forces it to use 4gb instead of 2