YesNoOk

I need tips about this style(My own style). (Read 63583 times)

Started by Masterhand128, February 21, 2016, 10:54:51 pm
Re: I need tips about this style(My own style).
#41  February 23, 2016, 10:30:51 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
The worst part about P.o.t.S style is that people seem to think they can just take the aesthetics and just wing it. Phantom.of.the.Server did a lot of research and actually played a lot of games to get his signature style down. Each character had their own characteristics from their respective series. Nakoruru included some material from Samurai Shodown, yet still played in a standard Capcom style; Guy included elements from Final Fight; Dan had some of his more comical moves from the VS. series and parodied fighting games he hadn't before, such as Mortal Kombat; Geese had some elements from Fatal Fury if I recall correctly.

What I'm getting at is that custom things, custom gameplay is fine (I love Warusaki3's Jill and Captain Commando to death), but you can't just make things up the entire time and expect everyone to like it. You have to have the essence of the character in there. The most basic example, Ryu, should feel like Ryu, whether he's Capcom, SNK, evil, or slightly pissed off.

You may get a lot of "nice char +1" and "another pots style character, awesome," but these people will NOT give you any valuable feedback. In fact, most valuable feedback doesn't come about these days because of numerous reasons (mostly being that those who have been known to give the best feedback are busy with their lives these days, or have had their advice ignored so much that they've just given up with trying to educate).

Research the character, try actually playing with them for a while, get used to how they feel, KNOW how they should feel. Become acquainted with their design, both in gameplay and personality. That's what made Phantom's stuff so great and why 90% of others who attempt the style make things that feel like soulless bootlegs, trying to bank on what's popular.

Most importantly, if you really want to be like Phantom.of.the.Server, you need to innovate. That may sound hard in something that seems so limited and that everything's been done before, but there are still some things that could be solved, new things to try out, and new solutions to old problems.

This guy gets it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#42  February 23, 2016, 10:39:27 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
JZ coming in here with truth! You can make characters, but if you have no idea on how they play and their nuances, then you will have a bad character. No matter what style you're trying to do.
#43  February 23, 2016, 10:52:57 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
JZ coming in here with truth! You can make characters, but if you have no idea on how they play and their nuances, then you will have a bad character. No matter what style you're trying to do.
As I sayed, Trextrex65 has a messy gameplay, but I will balance this character in a future update and this update will have my style complete.

Here is another backdround for my style:

This "Crazy Hand" is Jango Brown, no? XD
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:03:44 pm by masterhand128
#44  February 23, 2016, 11:14:56 pm
    • Puerto Rico
I guess...

Wait...

Do you HAVE a style by any chance? If so, describe it (not mentioning any previous char you have made/edit, try describing something new). (Kinda what R565 said, but yeah, do you have some sort of system mechanics already planned for your char?)
#45  February 23, 2016, 11:31:03 pm
    • Spain
The style as I sayed is based of POTS but is a little altered:

-Two custom backdrounds (for the moment).
-Parry and alpha counter.
-Same super and hyper effect of POTS with a additional effect(from Daniel).
-EX moves.
-Super charger(like POTS).
-All my characters(edited or not) will have Shun Goku Satsu clones.
-All my characters(edited or not) can Dodge.
-All my characters(edited or not) will have Super Jump.
-Custom Combo System.
-Some characters will have a striker system(Crossover style, like a edited version of Ronald Mcdonald)
Re: I need tips about this style(POTS+INFINITE).
#46  February 23, 2016, 11:31:59 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
You may get a lot of "nice char +1" and "another pots style character, awesome," but these people will NOT give you any valuable feedback. In fact, most valuable feedback doesn't come about these days because of numerous reasons (mostly being that those who have been known to give the best feedback are busy with their lives these days, or have had their advice ignored so much that they've just given up with trying to educate).
I weeped because of how true this statement is. People eating that shit up doesn't help matters.
#47  February 24, 2016, 12:38:14 am
    • Puerto Rico
The style as I sayed is based of POTS but is a little altered:

-Parry and alpha counter.
-EX moves.
-Super charger(like POTS).
-All my characters(edited or not) will have Shun Goku Satsu clones.
-All my characters(edited or not) can Dodge.
-Custom Combo System.
-Some characters will have a striker system(Crossover style, like a edited version of Ronald Mcdonald)

Huh... Ok?
#48  February 24, 2016, 03:24:06 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Yeah man, you show Daniel who's boss by... using some of his assets? I guess that's one way to own someone.
#49  February 24, 2016, 03:25:35 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
in 2007 maybe
#50  February 24, 2016, 04:19:25 am
  • Dead Weight
  • Where'd all the motivation go?
    • Philippines
    • Skype - DerEthereal
I'm not sure if I follow, but I suppose the best way to be like PotS is to not be like PotS then?
#51  February 24, 2016, 04:58:38 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
I think you should re-read JZ's post.
#52  February 24, 2016, 06:43:29 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I'm not sure if I follow, but I suppose the best way to be like PotS is to not be like PotS then?
You be like PotS by studying game data and the character, and adapt it into your custom system. Also, PotS was constantly changing his system. I mean, look at PotS' Ryu VS his Geese.
#53  February 24, 2016, 01:12:40 pm
    • Spain
In my opinion I like using POTS style, but combining with other styles. :P
#54  February 24, 2016, 01:34:51 pm
i couldn't leave, one final thing to say.
this is all what you seem to care about, effects and shitty backgrounds. all style no substance. it's a shame, you were given some good advices here and you never even bothered to understand them.
why? you're not gonna put aerial combos. are they just for the lulz? "WOW COOL CHAR JUMP VERY HIGH!"
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#55  February 24, 2016, 01:46:50 pm
    • Spain
i couldn't leave, one final thing to say.
this is all what you seem to care about, effects and shitty backgrounds. all style no substance. it's a shame, you were given some good advices here and you never even bothered to understand them.

I think these backgrounds are not sh*tty(like MvC) after all:
why? you're not gonna put aerial combos. are they just for the lulz? "WOW COOL CHAR JUMP VERY HIGH!"
I forgot! :P
I will put Aerial combos.
#56  February 24, 2016, 01:49:26 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Even by both Pots and MvC standards, those backgrounds look way too flashy for it to be a super bg. 1st one doesn't even make sense as one.
#57  February 24, 2016, 01:56:29 pm
    • Spain
I will edit the frame of the 1st background for making more sense and, Why everybody hates flashy backgrounds?
I am used to flashy effects.
#58  February 24, 2016, 02:17:01 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
because its seen as more of an eye sore than something creative. And even so what you described your stuff will play like sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. You have all these people trying to be helpful and you're basically going "Well I'm doing it like I said anyway it will be fine I promise" which is a great way to sound like you're building something with no blueprint.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#59  February 24, 2016, 02:22:23 pm
1st one doesn't even make sense as one.

Because 2OS (the author of the effect) intended and used it as an attack for one of his characters (Inazumachi—Hyperion, which is 2OS's version of Mizuchi, uses it and it's a full screen attack).
#60  February 24, 2016, 02:23:12 pm
I really don't get the attraction of these hyper-visual effects on low-res sprites. It's like, do you realize you're plastering a overly bright and colorful background that looks more in place with BlazBlue, DBFC, or any other modern anime fighter. On a pixelated 2D sprite made in the 90s? Shit makes me barf.