YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1504716 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2301  November 30, 2018, 04:23:57 am
So Gogeta is now officially revealed (I guess they just gave up hiding him lol) and he finally has a chance to be cool. That new move looks legit dope. And Broly looks like he's getting really fucked, that must be why they were hiding Gogeta if it would kill Broly's hype (ah, good old power level bullshit).
No I don't have a video because I'm on a phone.

Edit - ah, got the YouTube link.

Hm, Broly still has his armor at the start and loses it midway. So the last shot from the first trailer when Goku watches Broly rise up from a hole in a supreme ominous look is after that, so Broly doesn't just get his ass beat, he tanks it and keeps going after Gogeta defuses. Okay, that's scary enough.
Edit again - wait no... he still has his armor in the shot I was thinking about. Damn. So does he get punked by fusion like a bitch or does he keep going like a nightmare after that ?

Oh yeah, the full song came out a bit ago and it's not rock, it's rap. It's still okay because J-rap is far better than US or French rap garbage, but I'm massively disappointed and I'm mad at trailers that give five seconds of a cool song and when the song comes out it's the only five seconds that sound like that and the rest is completely different and I hate that bullshit.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:56:13 am by Byakko
#2302  November 30, 2018, 03:45:27 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Well, that's pretty common for anime songs; I love the first 10-15 seconds of fayland songs then get bored the fuck off after that.

Back to the manga, the TOP is over, it seems like we will get a majin buu centered arc next... and some colleages of jaco that are not incompetent.
#2303  November 30, 2018, 06:51:06 pm
  • Why,
Super vs Gt... by the way? Isn´t them cut off Gt because it wasn´t so popular them wanna it...

Why them do then THAT super then??
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#2304  November 30, 2018, 06:52:08 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Super is still behind GT.
#2305  November 30, 2018, 11:18:00 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I'm still trying to dissect what you were intending to say, but GT wasn't retconned from Super due to popularity.  It was ignored so it didn't restrict Super's story potential any further than Z already was doing to Super as we know Super takes place before the end of Z with Goku leaving with Uub.  GT already was fair game to overlook with a number of fans though because it wasn't strictly from Toriyama's hand, though seeing we're juggling two separate canons with Super, one for the anime and one for the manga, I'm not sure how much better off we ended up in the end?

Personally, I would greatly enjoy them getting to the end of Z, beyond it and incorporating GT elements eventually, as they've been doing throughout Super's run of taking popular if not strictly canon material and reworking into the canon trying to correct any flaws along the way, but I wouldn't truly expect them to waste the time to rework an entire series into another one when they can just continue with their own new ideas.  Also Super hasn't always made things work better with their retcons, so I'd hate to see them throw in a newly reworked Super Saiyan 4 only to screw it up with, like, you can never revert back from it or something.

Anyways, Gogeta looks nice.  Acting more like Vegito in some shots, I figured he would either be dead-serious like Fusion Reborn or a mis-directing clown like GT, but I'll take what I can get.  The ki around him kinda looks like they're mixing Vegeta's Evolution with Goku's Ultra Instinct, nice touch.  I'm inclined to imagine they'll retcon this fusion's function in some fashion too, but they probably don't want or need another wave of backlash from that.  Though would be incredibly hilarious if he doesn't have GT's issue of too much power canceling the fusion, so Gogeta would now technecally last longer than Vegito.
Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:24:03 pm by Long John Killer
#2306  December 02, 2018, 05:31:52 am
everything is canon in dragonball universe ... as long as it's convenient to toriyama. lol.

gt is being treated like an alternate timeline now , plus gogeta is 10x cooler than vegito ... kinda weird that in the trailer gogeta was smiling like vegito does.
#2307  December 21, 2018, 09:17:01 pm
Owwww new chapter is already out and the new bad guy drains an entire planet using Genkidama and then eats it. Okay.
It's cool how they're actually digging more into the god techniques that King Kai taught Goku all the way back. Plus casually mentioning stuff from the movie (Vegeta IV).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2308  December 22, 2018, 12:08:42 am
    • USA
This Moro fella is a lot more Dragon Quest than Dragon Ball.  Not sure how I feel about that for the story thus-far, but it's something different.  I guess it's a necessity of Dragon Ball for events and feats to always escalate, but I wonder what the deal is with Merus that he can be faster than Vegeta at this point staring straight at him yet can't track his movements, yet doesn't seem to show the typical manner of ki manipulation, which is expected from the Galactic Patrol.  I'd doubt it's more time-skip shenanigans.  And I doubt he means losing basic eye contact, they haven't relied on that since, well, I guess training for Vegeta and Nappa's arrival or fighting the Saibamen?  They just sense things now.  I'm guessing he just has really good tech like the Androids.  I'd say he might be some form of double crosser working his own agenda, probably in favor of Moro, since the way the ship was sabotaged was oddly specific without prior knowledge, but that doesn't explain why Vegeta can't keep up with him, so for now maybe he just is that fast.

Also they're worried about enough explosives to blow up a planet, and that's so, like, chapter 6 out of Dragon Ball in terms of threat value.  Frieza at his lowest completely drained and about to die from Vegeta in Resurrection F was planetary.  I guess these are just a bunch of nobodies here to just show off Merus being cool, but kinda just does to opposite for me.  Eh.
Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:22:47 am by Long John Killer
#2309  January 14, 2019, 03:38:28 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
They managed to make broli cute.
#2310  January 14, 2019, 10:01:20 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
lol I thought the same thing when I watched it. The movie is great.
#2311  January 15, 2019, 03:53:03 pm
chirai knows where she gonna spread that jam next time.
#2312  January 22, 2019, 07:26:03 pm
New chapter, that reminded me a bit of back when they fought people like Guldo. And now, we wait one more month to see actual new things. Shoudda put the cliffhanger after showing at least the beginning of the first move.

edit
just saw the Broly early screening in my city.
Spoiler: About that battle end (click to see content)
Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:55:20 pm by Byakko
#2313  June 04, 2019, 11:18:40 pm
The latest manga chapter gave a really nice fight for Majin Buu, that was cool. It makes it a little less annoying that he got shafted for the ToP if it meant putting him up against Moro here, although it's clear that he would have just moped the floor with everyone while laughing in the ToP if he had been at that level using his magic. And then he just switches with the great kaioh shin who I assume will have a different style, so Buu had a short run but that was good enough.
Moro's more elemental approach to planetary threat is more interesting than the usual "big planet busting beam" too, it's great that they're going back to the spiritual stuff introduced with King Kai's Genkidama and Kaiohken. I'm expecting more like that.
#2314  November 22, 2019, 06:41:20 pm
"Chapter 54 : oh look, Gohan is useless again."
#2315  November 23, 2019, 02:03:18 am
    • USA
There's a weird lingering logistics problem on power draining from this Moro technique versus the level we've seen these guys at before that Super continues to just make hard to believe.  I get Toriyama & co. trying to reel in the character's powers, but it's really stretching that a copy of a skill that's essentially just Yakon but wider-reaching is even tickling the likes of Ultimate Gohan or Piccolo.  The mad extent of raw power Gohan must hold on to at LEAST should be way more than the planet-wide extent these guys could drain to, and in such a small amount of time as well.

But then we also having things like Moro's consistent lava pillars this arc supposedly being remotely a threat when we literally just had our good guys fighting in magma just last movie with Broly and it was expectedly not an issue, so whatever.  Woo, go Gohan, you sure proved that you would be awesome if the story didn't consistently constrain you to sucking.
#2316  September 18, 2020, 07:26:59 pm
Uh-oh, Goku "quits" the Galactic Patrol after confirming that Moro was sentenced to death. He's about to spare the big bad's life again, isn't he. We'll see if Moro's "help me" is the usual villain trick or if this is going somewhere.

About those lava pillars that Moro pulls off, I assume it's not just the energy from the planet alone, he's eaten a whole bunch of worlds before coming to Earth, surely he puts some of that in his attacks. He even busted himself on it just now.
Toriyama killed Yakon by saying he didn't have the tank to absorb the power of a SSJ2, Moro simply doesn't have that limit and just piles up entire galaxies worth of planet energy. Still the same deal as Genkidama going from the surroundings, to the entire planet, to the solar system they're currently in for Freeza, to the whole of humanity (instead of nearly empty planets) for Buu, to the universal version in GT. I'm not bothered by that scaling.
Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:41:46 pm by Byakko
#2317  September 19, 2020, 03:42:24 am
    • USA
Well, we have the supposed underlying moral Goku and Vegeta are supposed to be learning by the wrap-up of Super from Whis, Goku's being his naivete and placing too much trust in reforming his enemies into friends.  It ironically worked before meeting Whis with fighting Beerus at the beginning, kinda got the bad side of it trying it out on Frieza again with his visit to Earth and used his Get Out of Jail Free card with Whis' time rewind.  Doesn't particularly apply to the Goku Black or ToP arcs, so I guess post-Whis' advice, this would be the arc where letting Moro live will eventually turn out positive in the end.  Buuuuuuut I also consider that moral more-or-less wrapped up with Resurrection "F", don't expect it to be made to tie into this arc.  Moro kinda lacks the tragic backstory or equal footing naivety Vegeta and Buu had.

It's funny to me seeing his boast about his galaxy-wide power, when surely we are multi-universal by many of the main cast by now.  I mean, it does tie into the whole fact that our main universe of the DB cast is woefully small and unpopulated, so Moro's scope to compare to without, you know, actually going ahead and destroying the universe outright is likewise restricted, but it's always amusing when the logical power scale characters must be outclasses the seemingly large-scale vocabulary the author uses.  Yeah, galaxies are big.  Planets were too until Roshi blew up the moon.

Anyways I don't even remember which panel from which chapter it was 10 months ago with the lava prior, but sure, I guess that's as good a reasoning as any for it without them explaining it.  It doesn't seem that way with how it's presented always sprouting from deep underground from the planet's natural sources, but it's magic, whatever, it can be whatever it wants.
#2318  October 21, 2020, 05:02:52 am
    • USA
Well, new chapter's out and yep, he spared Moro's life.  Good news, there was some more thought process behind it on Goku's end than just two brain cells can come up with.  Bad news, not enough brain cells for the wild card that all-encompassing "Magic abilities" cover.  Weird news, Moro's now that Green Lantern planet.

I feel I should be more annoyed at this, seeing that's the general online reception, but two things are holding me back.  One, general expectations of Super at this point but two, I do appreciate that unlike with Cell where Goku was leaning on his ace in the hole being his son, someone who's psyche he doesn't know in and out like and act like Goku would assume, he was just clearly aware that the gulf in power was insurmountable between the two that he was free to give Moro this olive branch and be just fine if Moro backstabs him.  Which yeah, that's exactly what happened, back to the Whis lesson.  Even after the red herring of Moro getting Merus' powers screwing Goku over, they go on to show how Moro's having MUI doesn't mean he's well equipped to USE it.

The sticking point for me there is now that we've gone full circle back to Whis' lesson and Goku, having got his mercy offered and rejected, was able and willing and in the process of killing Moro, then they threw in his body swapping technique out of the complete blue and going as far as to count the whole planet as an individual (I guess we're Sailor Moon, now).  You had a genuinely nice if not perfect point to stop at and have Goku commit and reflect on his necessary actions to stop Moro.  Arc's dragged on as is anyways.

Possible upside if this eventually leads to afterlife Ginyu cameo complaining about this oversight of his with the body swap ability.  Also dunno if this was confirmed at some point or we were just lying on assumption, but nice to see the white hair from MUI isn't just a Goku/Saiyan thing, implying that the Angels are indeed just always in MUI, but more importantly, Beerus would just turn into albino peach fuzz if he ever gets it.  Which is hilarious.
Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:08:26 am by Long John Killer
#2319  October 21, 2020, 05:57:30 am
Today in Dragon Ball :
"woops !"
#2320  October 21, 2020, 06:17:49 am
    • USA
So I guess they have a few ways forward from this but the most logical would be to make use of Vegeta's soul sapping whatever skill he picked up and was quite proud of before he got his mandatory beating.  Following that, we COULD have them destroy the Earth.  They have the means to fix it afterwords, but it still wouldn't be an action they would make lightly.

Though it would be amusing if they went that route and restoring the Earth just brought back the Living Planet Moro Earth one.  In fact, wonder if this is just a localized event or we're going to have freaky Moro geological locations around the globe eating people?  I mean, Buu did it already, but that's kinda most of Moro's schtick anyways.