One Piece
#1  September 04, 2017, 06:29:15 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Beware, here be manga spoilers!

following from the fanart thread:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
I really like Jinbe, and think Oda could do a lot with a permanent fishman on the crew, but...the core nine Straw Hats + the dozens of support characters introduced on every arc are getting unwieldy. When was the last last time half of the crew wasn't either irrelevant or completely gone for an entire arc? Fishman island? 'sides, what do Jinbe and Carrot do for the crew other than fighting?

Also, I hope Pedro doesn't miraculously survive that explosion. Oda has pulled that bullshit too many times and it feels cheap as fuck.

I've liked Whole Cake Island/the wedding arc so far, but I'm not sure how Oda can wrap it up. Is Big Mom really gonna let the crew go if she has cake? how can Luffy fight her when her underlings are too much for him?
Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:34:59 pm by Fubs
Re: One Piece
#2  September 04, 2017, 06:40:06 pm
alright im gonna reply to person man here i guess

i don't think carrot is gonna be a part of the straw hat, mainly because there seems to be a formula to picking crew members that oda has followed for pretty much every crew member and carrot has showed none of those things. im gonna list them along side how carrot compares to them

1) they have to their own dream that they would want to acomplish by joining the SH. carrot mentioned nothing about having a goal or dream.
2) the story arc they join in is mostly focused on them and how they overcome their problems. carrot was never the focus of either the zou arc nor the big mom one.
3) they have to have some sort of depressing tragic backstory that involves the death of loved one in it. again, nothing.
4) luffy should get attracted to them somehow. luffy had paid no attention to carrot whatsoever.
5) they should have a unique ability that is important to either the story or to luffy. she has some vaguely weird electric powers and speed? im not sure about the last one.

yeah yeah im a one piece fan boy. eat me.

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3  September 04, 2017, 07:20:47 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
If Pedro somehow is still alive after that kamikaze attack, I'm going to be angry. But Carrot for Straw Hat all day, don't know if it will be permanent or just till after Wano.
#4  September 04, 2017, 07:56:36 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Carrot's kind of a special case in that she doesn't have a backstory as much as she's currently experiencing her origin story.  All the stuff that the rest of the crew had prior to joining is what Carrot's currently going through right now.  In response to your points:

Spoiler: last chapter spoilers (click to see content)

I don't know.  I've just been getting some seriously heavy vibes that Carrot's being groomed as the next crewmate from the last two arcs.  Maybe I'm way off base, but that's how I'm seeing it.

I really like Jinbe, and think Oda could do a lot with a permanent fishman on the crew, but...the core nine Straw Hats + the dozens of support characters introduced on every arc are getting unwieldy. When was the last last time half of the crew wasn't either irrelevant or completely gone for an entire arc? Fishman island? 'sides, what do Jinbe and Carrot do for the crew other than fighting?
Well, Jinbe's already announced his intention to join the crew once they escape big mom so unless he ends up dying before pffffhahaha yeah right. 

As for what Jinbe can do, I'm betting he'll be made the helmsman.  It's one of the few roles they don't have a dedicated crewman for, and he's shown skill in handling ships.

Also, I hope Pedro doesn't miraculously survive that explosion. Oda has pulled that bullshit too many times and it feels cheap as fuck.
Lol expecting permadeath in One Piece.  I'm still halfway expecting Ace and Whitebeard to make a big "surprise" return somewhere down the line.

I've liked Whole Cake Island/the wedding arc so far, but I'm not sure how Oda can wrap it up. Is Big Mom really gonna let the crew go if she has cake? how can Luffy fight her when her underlings are too much for him?

My guess is that Big Mom's going to wreck her own crew and operations while she's still in her frenzy state, Sanji will show up with the cake, and they'll make their escape while she's distracted.  By the time they're gone and Big Mom's back to her senses, she won't have any means to chase after them.
#5  September 04, 2017, 08:39:10 pm
am i the only one who got the impression that pudding is gonna poison big mom with her cake? or maybe sedate her to give the strawhats a chance to escape.
kinda meaningless to make her a cake otherwise. because she's gonna regain consciousness and attack the strawhats again.
#6  September 04, 2017, 10:17:01 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - dainfinite
    • infiniteff.forumotion.com/
am i the only one who got the impression that pudding is gonna poison big mom with her cake? or maybe sedate her to give the strawhats a chance to escape.
kinda meaningless to make her a cake otherwise. because she's gonna regain consciousness and attack the strawhats again.
judging by the look of Sanji in the last chapter, I think he might be one to do something to the cake maybe 99 recipes. IMO, Pudding trying to poison Big Mom doesn't seem likely because of how much stuff we have seen Big Mom tank so far this arc, unless Pudding has some Super Duper Ceaser Clown poison hiding somewhere. I think pudding will be used as a plot device for maybe a Ichiji kidnapping. Which most likely lead up to a Sanji vs Ichiji fight in Chocolate Town. Sanji has had fights with all his siblings except Reiju, and Ichiji. Ichiji has seemed to be the coldest/evil of all his siblings. Plus this could give him a battle feat this arc, maybe...
#7  September 04, 2017, 10:44:57 pm
    • USA
I honestly have no idea what Oda is trying to do with Pudding because he keeps completely changing her character every time she shows up.  Right now her personality seems to be "tsundere to the point of manic schizophrenia," but who knows how long that will last.  She's been doing consecutive heel/face turns so fast you could use her to drill for oil.

lui

#8  September 05, 2017, 02:34:49 am
    • USA
i really wanna get into one piece. I really do, but theres just sooooooooooooooooooo much chapters it would take literally a couple months for me to catch up if I read everything, where can I start aside from the prologue? what should I skip that's not relevant?
#9  September 05, 2017, 02:56:32 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Pretty much everything becomes important somewhere down the line (Oda loves foreshadowing and bringing back characters once a decade). The truly meaningless chapters are far and in-between (like...uh, Gaimon's island maybe?) and the only arc everyone will tell you to skip is the Davy fight (it's basically filler in manga form).

I started reading OP 3 years ago. There were like 750 chapters back then. It took me like three months to catch up, binging on two or three volumes on every sit.
#10  September 05, 2017, 03:03:51 am
    • USA
The only story arc I can think of that doesn't advance the overall plot in any significant way is the Sky Island saga, but I wouldn't really recommend skipping it because it's still a really good read.  But yeah, if you have to skip something you can skip the Davy Back fight arc since there's nothing of value in there.

I'd say just start from the beginning and read it all at your own pace.
#11  September 05, 2017, 03:26:24 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Ehhhhhhh, no. That's an excellent example of why you should NOT skip anything. A reader skipping Skypea wouldn't understand the following:

- Why is the Going Merry all messed up?
- ...and why the fuck did she start talking at the end of Ennies Lobby?
- Where did that gold the Straw Hats are talking about come from?
- Why does Ussop have magic seashells now?

Later down the line the same reader wouldn't understand why Silvers Rayleigh knows about the poneglyphs, how observation haki/mantra works or what sky islands are.
Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:14:21 am by Fubs
#12  September 05, 2017, 03:38:52 am
    • USA
Yeah, you've got a good point there.  I was thinking in much broader strokes along the lines of introductions of major characters, backstories and origins, and the ongoing story threads with the Shichibukai/World Government/Yonko.  Apart from the details like those, Skypiea more or less ends with all of the characters back where they began.

But either way, I agree that skipping that arc isn't recommended.
#13  September 05, 2017, 06:50:05 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Skypeia is one of the best adventure arcs imo. Also I don't really recommend the anime much, but there is merit to watching the G8 Arc after you read Skypeia. Just pretend every time they mention "Akainu" they're actually saying "Aokiji".
#14  September 05, 2017, 07:12:18 am
the anime was good up until the enies lobby arc then it started to kill its pacing by adopting one chapter per episode. the shitty animation didn't help either.
walruslui if you're keen, you can find fully colored scans online, those are actually official and they make reading one piece alot more fun. i've gone back and reread most of one piece with them.
#15  September 13, 2017, 08:49:02 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Bummer, I was hoping this arc would end with Katakuri fighting Sanji, not Luffy. Guess it can't be helped since Luffy isn't fighting Big Mom any time soon, and Cracker is still out cold.

Huh, fortuitous Gol D. Rogers flashback. Been a while since we had one of those.
Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:57:34 pm by Fubs
#16  September 13, 2017, 11:45:59 pm
    • USA
Seeing as how the Thousand Sunny took off without him, I'm betting that Luffy and Sanji are going to meet up for the last big fight.  This whole arc was about getting him back to the crew anyway.

Also, LOL @ Brulee getting the shit beat out of her again.  I don't know what kind of mad genius it takes to make a running gag out of an old woman getting her ass kicked over and over again, but I love it. 
#17  September 14, 2017, 06:53:30 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Great chapter, I'm really digging the arc. I've never been a big fan of rescue arcs but putting this many twists and turns on the formula has made it really entertaining.
#18  September 22, 2017, 11:31:17 pm
    • USA
New chapter's out.  Jinbe is a badass.  I'm starting to realize why he's joining the crew now of all times;  They need someone who's been around the Yonko long enough to keep the Straw Hats grounded in how serious things are becoming.  They aren't going to be able to just happy-go-lucky their way through things anymore.

Spoiler: Smug self-satisfaction (click to see content)
#19  September 23, 2017, 06:38:15 am
luffy finally met his physical match in new world, katakuri is a badass and seems much more stronger than luffy in both devil fruit abilities and haki.
he basically copied one of luffy's strongest attack right on the spot only his was much stronger. i really hope we get a decent fight out of this arc. so far luffy and the SH hadn't had any good fights in new world at all.
#20  September 23, 2017, 06:10:13 pm
    • USA
??? 

Doflamingo wasn't a challenging fight?  The guy so tough they had to recruit an actual, literal army just to have a chance against him?