YesNoOk

One Piece (Read 189888 times)

Started by Foobs, September 04, 2017, 06:29:15 pm
Share this topic:
Re: One Piece
#121  April 22, 2018, 01:17:39 pm
nice chapter. i hope zeff is safe from big mom tho, i'd really hate it if she went after him for what the strawhats did to her.
seeing them juxtaposed together like that made my eyes tears, reminded me of the barate arc.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#122  April 28, 2018, 01:31:32 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
We got an early release of 903, so expect 904 to be delayed a week. Then I'd say Oda will take his break after that.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#123  April 28, 2018, 02:22:51 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#124  April 28, 2018, 03:48:26 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:01:33 am by Person Man
#125  April 28, 2018, 04:12:58 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
TBF he's reporting to the best of his knowledge. He didn't know Luffy had assistance while fighting Cracker (and a stupidly unfair match-up against him), or how Katakuri only lost because he crippled himself, or how the SH joining the Fire Tank Pirates was a last minute decision and the Germa 66 jumping in was even more serendipitous.

From an outsider's perspective Luffy is a fearless but cold and calculating motherfucker who controls the Fire Tank Pirates, has the Germa 66's military strength at his beck and call, arranged Sanji's wedding as a complex set-up to assassinate Big Mom, defeated two of her strongest men (two of the strongest men in the world) with his bare hands and lived to tell the tale; on top of being the "leader" of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet and all his previous feats. Nobody in-universe, other than his own allies and the upper echelon of BM's pirates, knows how much of his success is due to dumb luck.
#126  May 11, 2018, 01:32:59 pm
    • USA
Something about the fact that the ultra-serious, grim faced Dragon had to relocate his base to Flaming Transvestite Island is really funny to me.  Now to see whether he actually does anything for once.

The revolutionary commanders are cool and all, but after Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island I was really looking forward to Reverie being an arc that wasn't 80% new characters that need to be developed.
#127  May 11, 2018, 01:48:57 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
#128  May 11, 2018, 05:38:42 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I'm not crazy about these new character designs and I really don't want them to take the spotlight away from the revolutionaries we already know, considering we've seen so little from Sabo and Ivankov and pretty much nothing from Koala and Dragon.

That'd be a pretty cool power in a different setting, but large armies are almost completely useless in One Piece.
#129  May 12, 2018, 12:15:30 am
    • USA
^  You have to admit that the power to rally people to rise up and fight against their oppressors is thematically pretty damn spot-on for a group of revolutionaries, though.

I just hope these new commanders don't steal too much page time away from the major players.  For Reverie to live up to what it's been made out to be, it really needs to focus on Vivi and Dragon as the sole main characters.  Vivi's big comeback at the Reverie has been hyped up for a while now, so she really should be the focal point of the political discussion parts of it, and if the RA is finally making a move, Dragon needs to actually do something besides glower ominously.

Also, I just realized that the village girl from this chapter is the milk seller girl from Ace's cover story.  Oda sure does love his 15 year callbacks.
Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:00:27 am by Person Man
#130  May 12, 2018, 05:13:09 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
It IS a pretty clever way to tie the main thematical concepts of the character as revolutionary and flag bearer with her Devil Fruit, no doubt.

I just don't see Oda doing much with it since his army fights are either glossed over (like every single time the Germa did something) or just work as background noise to the main characters' fights.
#131  May 15, 2018, 12:11:29 am
    • USA
Some insane genius went through the entire canon of One Piece and put together a definitive timeline of the story's world, from the creation of the world and the founding of the oldest civilizations all they way up to the current chapters.  It details every major character's births and deaths, significant historical moments, and even breaks down the order of simultaneous events for extremely eventful single days, like in Alabasta and Whole Cake Island.

It's actually really cool.  There's so much history and backstory baked into One Piece that it's super interesting to look at it as a whole and see the kind of major things that were coincidentally going on at the same time.
#132  May 15, 2018, 01:03:30 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
The craziest thing is that he's done all that work three times.

I read that guy's blog from time to time. His analysis go balls deep into all the nitty-gritty details and small throwbacks. I think he's predicted some pretty accurately, but can't think of a concrete example.
#133  May 17, 2018, 07:55:09 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
#134  May 17, 2018, 04:33:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
So, it looks like I choose i really good time to catch up. Still missing zoro, tho.
#135  May 17, 2018, 11:22:16 pm
    • USA
I'm almost hoping that the joke becomes real and Zoro somehow crashes into the Reverie because he got lost on the way to Wano.
#136  May 18, 2018, 04:10:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I love that ranma two part ova, where akane and ranma travel to a forest in the middle of nowhere to solve an orochi related problem. Then tehf irst half ends with ryouga joining them because he got fucking lost and endedup there too.
#137  May 25, 2018, 01:07:09 pm
    • USA
Oda why would you draw a character in a huge goofy sombrero and a serape and name him King Tacos.  You can't just do that, Oda.
#138  May 25, 2018, 04:43:23 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Mexicans aren't anywhere as thin skinned as you gringos think them to be (actually, pretty much nobody is as thin skinned as you...think them to be).

This guy still is a beloved cultural icon in Mexico and Latin America.

King Tacos fucking owns. I hope his anime debut includes mariachi music.
#139  May 25, 2018, 08:59:39 pm
pretty much most of the royals and their kingdoms are stereotypes. the russwan king dressed his daughters like stacking dolls (lol), the ballywood king is obviously based on abraham lincoln, and albasta has middle eastern setting.
oda is just introducing young japanese readers to other cultures in a fun cartoony way.

also lets not forget how orlumbus is folding his pajamas like a boss lol

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#140  May 25, 2018, 09:50:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I hope King Tacos sells tacos because otherwise Don Sarape would have been a better name.