YesNoOk

Mai Shiranui & Poison (8/11/12) (Read 71307 times)

Started by DW, April 06, 2012, 08:18:31 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mai Shiranui & Poison
#21  April 07, 2012, 01:29:19 am
Alot of characters do a mix of charge and normal, but I think it's better when they are dedicated to charge or normal, and have one or two moves that are the opposite, and even that move seems to be a not-so-very-useful move to them, or extremely situational.

ROS

#22  April 07, 2012, 02:25:29 am
Handcuff toss won't hit when in the opponent's face while in the corner.
#23  April 07, 2012, 02:57:04 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:00:52 am by oily surprises
#24  April 07, 2012, 03:10:23 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
Bison in cvs2, Dudley(sort of), Rock, Abel in SFxTekken, etc. There are a lot of them.

I'll try these if I get the chance. The clsn stuff can be fixed easily with all the awesome references out there(not Pots early creations lol). There are some lua scripts as well if you want exact clsn(sadly none for cvs2 atm).

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
#25  April 07, 2012, 05:11:31 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
Nice characters. Though I found one debug error for Mai. She gets glitched in air after you do a summersault kick and instantly use
explosive Mai afterwards.

I will try and report more if possible =P
#26  April 07, 2012, 11:22:18 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I'm sorry but......What about Takuma from KOF13? A lot of characters do this and feel fine in their original games. I'm not trying to be rude but......yeah. Granted those moves would make sense if they were charge, at least one of the two, but I don't see a problem with a mixture.
Yeah, maybe I should have just said that it's strange having a Vega (dictator) move as HCF instead of a charge move.

EDIT : thanks for the Mai patch, she's much smoother now. :)

Also, as Titiln said, much more can be done with Ex moves, with better effects and somehting that differentiates them really from the normal versions.
Same goes for MAX versions of the supers. They're not "WOW" enough. Her MAX Crimson Firebird Diver looks exactly as the Lv1, while you could have added a phoenix effect or something like that for example (I think Last Blade has this sort of stuff). Same for Swan Fandango.
Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:49:30 am by Cybaster

DW

#27  April 07, 2012, 06:15:50 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Nice characters. Though I found one debug error for Mai. She gets glitched in air after you do a summersault kick and instantly use
explosive Mai afterwards.

I will try and report more if possible =P

I actually got this to happen once.  o_O I don't see how this happened. Looking over the code to fix the problem. Perhaps someone could help me out with this. Look it over and suggest a quick fix.

@Cybaster&Company:
I agree that Poison's EX moves could use some more flare. However, I disagree with Mai's EX moves.

-She throws 2 fans for EX Kacho Sen.
-EX Deadly Ninja Bees was inspired by PotS Geese EX Jaiken, it's completely different from her normal DNB move.
-EX Flying Squirrel Furiante is meant to be more effective. Being multi-hit and not knocking the opponent down. Setting up for some awesome chaining possibilities.
-I really don't see how I'd make EX Burning Mai any more flashy. It's more effective because it has some muteki during the starting frames.
-The anim for EX Ryu En Bu is slightly faster than the normal one. Also it bounces opponents off the wall. Once again, setting up for some great combo possibilities.
-MAX Swan Fandango has the flames on the fans... How much more could I possibly add...? lol
-The pheonix effect sounds nice for MAX Crimson Firebird Diver. Could you provide a link or something where I could get it? Along with suggestions on adding the effect in please?

I was never one for overly flashy effects. I go more for effectiveness. Though, effects do add that "Wow" factor. So, I'll see what I can do about Max CFD. I'll also update Flare Blossom a bit. As for the others. I'm content with their look and functionality. Though, I do appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again. 
Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:21:48 pm by DivineWolf
#28  April 07, 2012, 07:53:24 pm
If you are looking for CvS2 pseudo accurate, you should look out for these as well (I have not tested):

These are tools that I use against people back in the days
- j.lk should be a crossup for all "fat hitbox" characters (CvS2 Blanka, CvS2 Sagat, etc)
- j.lk should also crossup on all characters in a crouching state
- s.lp, s.lk, c.lp, c.lk should ALL be able to link into her super. (the QCB, HCF + K super)

Mai can also link her light punch and kicks into super
- c.lk, c.lk, c.lk + [QCB HCF + K super] is a VALID combo in CvS2. You can also do variations of this combo. Such as c.lk, c.lp, c.lk + super. Whatever works.

Is her (only) target combo from CvS2 also implemented? In CvS2 she has an awesome combo that is good for mixups. The timing is a bit strict, so if you have CvS2, open it up and run this test. Get right in front of your test dummy and test it. Also check if you Mai has this combo:

c.LK --> s.LK --> c.MP --> Kachouken (or Ryuuenbuu?) works too

In CvS2 Mai's only option to stuff out air attacks is s.HP and that is only if she is far. If up close, she will accidentally whiff a s.HP (close version) and get punished badly. But, her s.HP is VERY FAST and good if timed correctly with proper footsies.

However, she has some other dangerous stuff!

In CvS2, if you equip Mai with K-Groove, or any groove with small jump, she can link this:

1) small jump 2) j.HK 3) super [QCB HCF + K]

Very deadly combo and punishes people who block low all the time.

I main Mai back in my CvS2 days and I used to play it ferociously competitively too at the arcades so, I know how to use her. If you want to know more about CvS2 Mai, you can watch videos of professional Japan players use her in CvS2. There was a player named "Rai" who used her very well against the top dogs.
Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:59:02 pm by unbeknowNst
#29  April 08, 2012, 03:20:03 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Mai -
Jesuszilla said:
The feel is great. CLSNs are too fluid, though, and in some cases too simple. Needs to make more use of CLSNdefault, especially considering FF3 can do it correctly now, unlike every other program.
c.MK should slide a bit more, I think.
Seems to have a lot of combo potential, fun to use.
Sorry I can't give more detailed feedback, but at the moment, I can't find any flaws. (Other than what I said above, anyway.)

Poison -
Jesuszilla said:
For Poison, all I can really say is that it's a shame there's not a better spriteset, so here's hoping someone else comes along and gives her some stuff based on her SFxT appearance.
Also, any particular reason why there's no custom combo?

More feedback/alterations pending.
Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:36:58 am by Avatar Of Woe
#30  April 08, 2012, 03:54:22 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to make these two?
They're both amazing...  Especially Mai.
#31  April 08, 2012, 04:46:51 am
  • Because Card Fighters Clash 2 wasn't quite as good
Just tasted Mai, she's awesome!! (I'd have done something different about the EX movest, but still she's pretty solid) I loved the Explosive Mai super, I'm not a Mai player but I dont recall seeing that super ever, if it was your doing that's pretty sweet!! Now criticism:

I feel she's a very good base, being your first character she's wonderful, and a lot of creativity can be felt with her EX specialmoves, but I miss some color separation on your part and some sprite edits made by Viofits and Co. would widen the repertoire of the special moves. I mean, if you're trying to emulate P.o.t.S. it will help you get close of that "this char has every move it has in every game it has been... and looks awesome in its CvS sprite set".Also the AI leaves me wanting to see more challenge when I fight against her. Also I still feel the controls a bit stiff, specially in the hcf and qcfx2 moves (or is it that I suck at keyboard).

As I said, this are minor things, this Mai holds its ground pretty well as a character, good work, welcome to the forum, and we hope to see more creations this awesome from you in the future!!
#32  April 08, 2012, 10:40:39 am
  • xxxxx
Pretty solid characters for first release. I'm liking Poison in POTS Style  ;)
But I like Shiranui more as she feels more established compared to Poison.
Just tested out both characters. Most of the feedback have already been said.
Maybe you can change the cmd to prioritize the EX moves and Level 2 Supers before the grab moves.
Would love to see your version of Juni of Juli soon...

DW

#33  April 08, 2012, 05:34:49 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
A lot of people are on my head about extra special moves, no smart palette, and sprite edits lol. When I started making Mai, I didn't have access to the internet. I had already DL'd her CvS sprite set from IMT long ago. So, I could only work with what I had. I promise I'll make a updated 2.0(final) version of Mai with sprite edits, improved clsns, a few extra specials, special intros, etc.
Same as with Poison. I'll make a quick patch for Poison's CMD, because I probably did the same thing with Mai's CMD initially. I didn't know about MUGEN reading the list from top to bottom...

Hey, like I said, I'm completely new to coding/creation. I'm learning as I go though. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I promise I'll get around to updates as fast as I can. However, I don't have the time I once had when I started them. So, it'll take a bit longer. Let me address a few things directly...

@Jesuszilla: Yeah, I have the older version of FF. I should go DL FF3. That's on my todo list with her clsns. There is no custom combo feature because I personally don't like CC. I won't be adding it no matter how many people ask for it. Sorry. :P Though, I will be adding a Power Up mode. It's just personal preference on my part. Thank you for the feedback.

@TrueMICAH: Man....you have no idea bro. If I remember correctly, it was roughly 7-8 months for Mai. Could have been a little longer. Due to my lack of coding knowledge, it was EXTREMELY frustrating at first. I almost just gave up. Though, I forced myself to keep going. Eventually I started getting the hang of it. Poison was effectively half that time, due to my gained knowledge of coding. One thing I can tell you. If you want to make something good for MUGEN, especially a character, you're gonna need a LOT of free time lol.

@SilentRipper: You play with a keyboard? Wow man, that has to be killer on your fingers... I'd have to say the stiffness may result from using a keyboard. I made a patch for Mai's CMD and she plays way more fluid now. Thanks to Cybaster for that info. Get the patch if you haven't already. I don't know how to code AI... Sorry. :( Though, anyone is more then welcome to make an AI patch for any of my characters. I'll be sure to credit said person for doing so. Juke Kisagari's KoF Mai has a move like a super Burning Mai move. Explosive Mai was inspired from that move. Glad you like it. Thanks for the feedback.

@tJun: Yeah, Poison is a bit less refined, don't worry though, updates are in the near future. Thank you for your CvS Poison that helped inspired me to make her. Yeah, I'll make a quick CMD patch for Poison as well. I was actually going to make Juli instead of Poison. I may still make her, but not for some time. I actually plan on making Genjuro. Once I finished with Mai and Poison. Thanks for the feedback.

Once again thanks again everyone.  :)
Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:50:14 pm by DivineWolf
#34  April 08, 2012, 05:45:57 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
I experienced a bug with your Mai dude. When I pressed LP->MP->Flare Blossom->Explosive Mai, she'll be stuck in mid-air while doing the Explosive Mai super. You'll be back to normal when you jump. That happened to me 2 times.

By the way, these chars are amazing! Especially Mai.
Flare Blossom kinda reminds me of Benimaru's Electric Kick thing, whatever it's called.

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.

DW

#35  April 08, 2012, 05:53:49 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I experienced a bug with your Mai dude. When I pressed LP->MP->Flare Blossom->Explosive Mai, she'll be stuck in mid-air while doing the Explosive Mai super. You'll be back to normal when you jump. That happened to me 2 times.

By the way, these chars are amazing! Especially Mai.
Flare Blossom kinda reminds me of Benimaru's Electric Kick thing, whatever it's called.

Yeah, working on fixing that bug of being able to cancel out of Flare Blossom with Explosive Mai in mid air. Good eye with the Benimaru reference! It's functionality was actually inspired from Warusaki3's Benimaru. Thank you for the feedback. Glad you like them.
#36  April 08, 2012, 09:18:21 pm
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
Wow if you are going to create Genjuro in Pots stile I will be so happy!!!

DW

#37  April 08, 2012, 09:34:40 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Haha, glad to hear it. Well, I suppose you have something to look forward to, because Genjuro is my next WIP. I won't start on him though until I'm completely done with Mai and Poison. I want to make chars that didn't make it into the CVS roster. Mai is a exception, because she told me she loved me.  ;D
#38  April 08, 2012, 09:55:31 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
Glad to hear that! I hope Maxima will be one of your future wips. ;D

Just a small question but will you also be making characters from other games. (e.g. MvC, Gundam, etc.)

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#39  April 08, 2012, 11:01:44 pm
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
I want to make chars that didn't make it into the CVS roster. Mai is a exception, because she told me she loved me.  ;D

If you said something like this you are going to be my favorite creator!!!

DW

#40  April 09, 2012, 03:57:53 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
@Markpachi: As a matter of fact, I do plan on making chars from other genres. I plan on making two more POTS style chars. Both male being Genjuro and the other is sorta a secret... Though, if you've beaten POTS Geese with my Mai, I'm sure you know who it's gonna be.  ;) From there, I plan on going on to Choujin's DBZ style, because I'm a big fan of his chars. I want to start with Burter(The Blue Hurricane!!) and perhaps a Tien. Then, a trip into the MvC world yes. Though I'm not certain who I'll make. We'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

@Garuda: Haha. Glad to hear it. Not jumping the gun too much however. Let's just take it one step at a time.  ;)