YesNoOk

[WIP] Jailbot (from Superjail!) *POST-RELEASE UPDATING* (Read 399663 times)

Started by altoiddealer, April 16, 2013, 04:00:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: [WIP] Jailbot (from Superjail!)
#21  June 10, 2013, 06:33:11 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I figured I'd skip ahead and tackle one of the more advanced animations

This will be his Super Jump, which has a delayed start but will also double as an attack.

(Animation moved to OP)

Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:25:08 am by altoiddealer
#22  June 10, 2013, 08:21:04 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
That actually looks pretty nice, although I'm concerned with how it doubling as an attack could affect it's playing. If it were to give too much of a knockback, then you could just spam this attack when you're on the ground, and nothing could hit you without having a projectile. Also, facing the screen? Will that be a transition thing, because most characters maintain their direction towards the opponent for pretty much everything

If you see a Diverien, it's almost definitely me. So say hi :D
#23  June 10, 2013, 02:38:41 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com

Well, I planned on just having his head/shoulders use clsn1 for the first few frames going up; not all the other effects, or lower half of his body.  Do you think that could still be unfair?

As for the facing forward thing... yes, down+up would cause him to face the screen, then open the thrusters and blast off.  I'll test and see how it will look to keep him facing the opponent, which won't be difficult to change.

#24  June 10, 2013, 09:33:55 pm
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
I figure that would work. I was worried that the damage would be from the jets themselves, as opposed to using it like a vertical tackle. As for the facing the screen bit, I never said it couldn't happen, just that I was unaware of anything that had done it correctly yet :P I suppose him facing the screen could be rationalization for it doubling as an attack, to give it more startup time, but then you lose the practicality of the attack itself

#25  June 10, 2013, 11:49:05 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Well, thanks for the feedback!  I think its in the bag for now :)

#26  June 11, 2013, 08:30:29 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
interesting concept.
mugen or nothin

#27  September 18, 2013, 12:20:24 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
...Progress has resumed!

I banged out a few animations over the past couple days

(Animations moved to OP)

Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:24:00 am by altoiddealer
#28  September 18, 2013, 01:27:31 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
No blurred sprite for returning to the stance seems best imo.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#29  September 18, 2013, 11:54:29 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
your blurred sprite needs to have more frames imo as it is right now the colours are too different from the normal so it doesnt look that much blurred.
#30  September 19, 2013, 12:10:19 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
OH YES! FINALLY SUPERJAIL ENTERS MUGEN!!! a great idea...i will definetely follow this project. great spriting too. just a suggestion..can he have an OMEGA DESTROYER-type special like omega red? anyways, way cool....feelin the super jump ani.

in case some of u dont know how BADASS Jailbot is, watch this...
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:15:19 am by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#31  September 20, 2013, 08:24:41 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Thanks guys for the feedback.  I'll try splitting the blurred frame into 2 sprites and see how it looks!  Thankfully I know I've kept that sprite in multiple layers in PS

OH YES! FINALLY SUPERJAIL ENTERS MUGEN!!! a great idea...i will definetely follow this project. great spriting too. just a suggestion..can he have an OMEGA DESTROYER-type special like omega red? anyways, way cool....feelin the super jump ani.

Thanks!  He'll have lots of fun specials, naturally  :devilish:  I've got all his moves mapped out, with frame-by-frame references ripped from the DVDs of all 3 seasons.  There's so much work involved, but it's so rewarding to work in this medium... and I'm sure Jailbot isn't the most difficult character to sprite heh

MUGEN is freakin awesome  :2thumbsup:

#32  September 23, 2013, 12:21:20 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I think I'm almost satisfied with this... I split the "blurred" frame into two and now you can see what is happening :)

(Animations moved to OP)

Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:24:26 am by altoiddealer
#33  September 23, 2013, 01:52:12 am
  • Gamer extraordinaire
    • USA
    • Skype - Shadow0X3
Tiny difference, but it's noticeable. I can't really decide if I like it or not though. Seems like a bit of overkill, but it does look nice

#34  September 26, 2013, 05:28:38 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
3/9/14 Update

Spritework is coming along smoothly  :juggle:

As I'm banging out sprites, I'm also coding the CLSN and the animations, so I've actually completed a lot more work than just spriting/creating GIFs.

I'm aiming to have this finished sometime this year... probably Q3 or Q4.  I'm not half-a$$ing anything, though; everything is being done legit.

Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:16:34 am by altoiddealer
#35  March 31, 2014, 06:15:29 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I'm almost finished with what is probably the most difficult animation planned for this character... his intro.

It's coded in as well... with sound!

Oh, and did I mention it features The Warden?

(Anim Deleted)

Progress percentage kicked up to 25%. Things are moving along!

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:26:06 pm by altoiddealer
#36  March 31, 2014, 06:51:57 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I'm just going to quietly wonder how you managed to accomplish that. Good to see this is still going.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#37  March 31, 2014, 07:08:58 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
And this snippit is just the tip of the iceberg !  I need to keep some things for surprise

I work very quick, but yeah I've probably spent like 12 hours on this so far... at least o_O

#38  March 31, 2014, 08:01:39 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Is he supposed to be leaning against an invisible wall, or is the preview just missing the back of the chair?  Normally I'd say he's missing the back of the chair, but considering this is Superjail, he very well could be leaning on air.

Still, impressive stuff
#39  March 31, 2014, 02:36:05 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I think I'll make him lean back just a little bit less :)  But yeah, definitely leaning on air.

Of course I noticed it, too, after trimming down the animation to just a few seconds and looping it.  What has been seen cannot be unseen  :inquisitive:

To further elaborate on Sinneslochen's question, I'm also working with some amazing reference material.  I pretty much traced that part frame-by-frame from the show (except the blurred stuff).  I also had to bring the coat rack MUCH closer because, after going strictly from the show, it was wayyyy off-screen in MUGEN.

I'll share this one last clip, which was actually much more complicated than I originally thought it would be:

(Anim Deleted)

The cloud-poof is on a separate layer, btw (that's a miniature cloud at the end of the rainbow)

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:26:17 pm by altoiddealer
#40  April 27, 2014, 12:29:50 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I am requesting some feedback from anyone who is interested in helping me!!!  :help::iloveyou::help::iloveyou::help::iloveyou::help::iloveyou:

Well, I just realized that I might have been spriting this character the wrong way all along!  I'm just not sure if there are any flaws in this idea of mine that I am overlooking.  Regardless... I wish I thought of this from the beginning!

The thought occurred to me that maybe my "good" 3D modeling skills could come in handy since this character is so damn rigid.  I imagine someone must have done this before for custom sprites (?)

So I whipped up a model... and now I can easily pivot Jailbot and render an image in seconds.

Below, you can see a few quick renders I banged out and slapped together in literally 5 minutes time.

(Anim Deleted)

I'm trying to decide whether I should generate images for reference purposes, to correct old sprites and make new one's easier... OR if I should just replace the old sprites entirely!

Why replacing the sprites seems like a great idea:
-The shading quality is spectacular, which would probably still look great when converted to a forced, limited palette.
-His face is textured with a .PSD file that I can quickly switch up.  Manually drawing his face at different angles is tricky business.
-These render at the same size as my current sprites... so no re-sizing necessary!
-Thanks to a render setting I found, the edges are NOT anti-aliased! :sugoi:

Concerns:
-I'm not sure if I need to add outlines (?)  Like I said, the edges are free of anti-aliasing.  I'm having trouble outputting nice outlines from my 3D software.
-I didn't notch out his interior and recolor it yet... but I think I'll be able to.
-I would have to put much more focus into his arms so that they don't look basic by comparison.  MAYBE I can make the arms in 3d as well but I doubt it.

To anyone that has feedback, thank you in advance!!!!  I want to keep this project moving in the right direction - everything's going great so far.  I recently finished two very cool "Win" animations.

*EDIT* Just realized those sprites have AA edges after all... but not before they are exported.  I'm sure I'll figure out the issue but here's a screenshot showing how they should be coming out: (Anim Deleted)

Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:26:50 pm by altoiddealer