YesNoOk

community rules and considerations. changes needed everywhere... (Read 2902 times)

Started by SlayerGatsu, September 13, 2007, 12:12:21 am
Share this topic:
community rules and considerations. changes needed everywhere...
#1  September 13, 2007, 12:12:21 am
First of all... thanks to seep and blackjack for unbanning my account or to whoever else did it...

There is a couple of things I’d like to say, and a couple of ideas I’d like to propose.

please note that I’m NOT here to speak about/of mugenation, I’m here as a simple creator (because believe it or not, I’m a creator of quite a bit of characters...) I do not intend to Troll around, and I do not intend to speak to people who just want to flame at me because of who I am/what I say.

This topic is for the ones that care enough to read it, and it's not ment to offend anyone, any person or thing.
Is more like a refined brainstorming of mine about what I think should happen between all the authors and creators of the mugen community. Any comments are welcome as long as they don't flam or insult obviously.
I would really care to know Blackjack's opinion e any mugen creator's opinion as well.

Very well, allow me to start…
It is translucent to everyone that the mugen community is changing everywhere, not for good or for bad, we cannot say that for sure, but it's changing and that is a fact.
elecbyte is maybe returning, probably not, but still that is a fact too and we have no knowledge of it so we cannot say anything in regards about it until some proof is given of either option.

what this topic is about is a thing that many disregard, which if we want, is also what elecbyte probably wanted to happen... alas we have no real proof of either... but if we take KFM as a proof (the character) we can clearly see elecbyte will to create something Open to everyone, something open for everyone to look at and use.

Elecbyte in a certain sense was going towards an Open-Source movement which would help develop a community. We as creators disregarded that and choose to make every one of our creations OURS, and for no one else to use. (Not all creators ok... but many do so, and I’m one to do so myself at least since Gill was released.)

This discussion wants to be a piece of mind for all of those who would like to see this end.

In my thinking I came up with a few ideas that should be able to make our community more "open" in a certain sense.

Here is where I come from:
Anyone that can work with computers anywhere in the world should know that an A+ certification is needed to be hired from almost any location... well to some extent my idea is to rearrange our community so that before "creating" something we need to have an "a+" certification. (Long story short...)

You might ask: how is that achievable?

Well... my complex idea is really not that complex at all...
Every author, before being allowed by any community to release his works publicly should obtain a "mugen programmer certificate".
This certificate is given by answering a multiple choice test studied to determine your programming skills, so that no one in the community would have to accuse anyone else of Thievery.

Here is why it SHOULD work:
As a matter of facts, the institution of such a standardized test (with variable answers changed every day naturally) would allow all the participants to be considered Creators by all the other creators.
This would also allow for creations to be Open-Source to other creators, and to the public.

it's kind of complicated for me to explain HOW this happens, it's not logical, is more like a rule that every author has to abide in order to take the test, and it is a responsibility that he has to give to be part of the mugen community in full especially as a creator.
Every creator recognizes that another person who passed the test is as much a creator as he is, and allows whoever to take and use his material for to create/better his own things, and allows him to actually release it without any kind of needed authorization.

Theoretically, in the mugen community, the people who are entrepreneurs and point to expand the width of the community are the creators (of ANYTHING mugen related.)
Many times creators fight amongst them self, or hate each other for no reason, or whatever... they just don't get along... this hurts the community and I for one think it needs to stop once and for all. Of course I’m not such a pompous ass to be the one to say that I will make it stop. This needs to be a community effort, and effort that all the mugen community or most of it decides to accept as "not good for the community otherwise".
many a times, new creators are beaten down until they give up... from negative feedback, insults, accusations or whatever... the point is WHY does not even matter, many n00bs that would like to widen their horizon are seldom not allowed to do so.
The creation of a "standardized" test (so to call it) would allow anyone the same chance to get into the community with full blown "creator rights". It would allow everyone to have the same position in the community, equalizing a new creator to an ancient creator that has created stuff for long years. It would allow for interaction, and expansion of the community to never as high programming levels.
Consider the fact that anyone can use anyone else material...
hypothesis: so a newbie comes along and decides to use elyking codes in combination with (whoever you consider to be the best author currently on the mugen scene), coding and sprites to create a better character with more smart code of his own of course.
As is, the person would be just flamed upon because he has no right to do so without authorization from both people and he would be considered a thief, BUT what if he actually learned something and created something really good from this?
It’s here a standardized test helps everyone (at least it's my theory...)
If the newbie here spoken passes the test and become to the eyes of all community a creator, other creators would not have a reason to flame him. They would be sure that at least SOME work inside the new chars is His WORK, and that he knows enough to pass the test and become a creator, so he does not want or desire to STEAL code, he just wanted to learn more/make something better.
I for one think that that should be allowed, and I also believe that many will not agree with me, but that this resolution is good enough to at least give it a try and see what happens, if more people become creators.
There are rules and regulation I formulated that I will post if asked to do so/if anyone thinks this is a good idea.

Thanks for reading and please don’t start a useless flame war.

Thanks Ice, I had complitely forgotten ;)
Re: community rules and considerations. changes needed everywhere...
#2  September 13, 2007, 12:18:17 am
:thumbsdown:
#3  September 13, 2007, 12:28:41 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I can tell you're not a programmer by suggesting that a test like that would sufficiently identify you as a non-thief.

Here is where I come from:
Anyone that can work with computers anywhere in the world should know that an A+ certification is needed to be hired from almost any location... well to some extent my idea is to rearrange our community so that before "creating" something we need to have an "a+" certification. (Long story short...)
?
:smash:
:gonk:

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#4  September 13, 2007, 12:37:47 am
    • Germany
Mugen Creators Ellis Island?

...you know one of our central ideas here was avoiding that kind of elitism. besides, a standardized test, for a hobby like mugen? please. :P
#5  September 13, 2007, 01:18:47 am
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
keyword: hobby

such a test would blow up peoples ego's and give them that mentality that, since they aer A+, they are better than everyone else...

then they will yatta yatta My Chars are good yatta Can't use any of my A+ work, yatta yatta I am GOD...

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********
#6  September 13, 2007, 02:13:13 am

massatsu.. what do you mean by a test like that?
a test like that is vage, a test, if well made, can be challenging to everyone in the communty... expecially by how differently one can do things that work alike... ...
IMO the ability of someone to pass a test would mean much difference from being a thief and being a someone who learned from other people code like we all learned from KFM...

well as for valodim... yes, maybe your right, hence it's a hobby is kind of stupid, but right now anyone can call them self creator, steal code and host it somewhere where he won't be bothered... and it happens... so i dunno... maybe is not that stupid afterall
the only other way would be to make all creations Open-Source, and i doubth anone would agree to that... whych IMO is a more stupid idea, or at least unpractical...
ps: would you lke to help me develop Monkey Island project for mugen? (mostly coded already) is a sword figher insult driven ;)

snake the god thing ould be covered
well ok.. yes people would feel more confident, but it's to these people that mugen owes it's development, and to this people the community owes something... (respectby chance?)
and it is a requirement that IF you are a part of this "thing" you allaw everyone else (that passed the test) to use your stuff...

anyways if you guys think it's not going to work... might as well stop it here no?
BUT...  do you have any different proposal?

and how would everyone agree about making all chars created BEFORE 2005 opensource? (unless the autor comes back and says NO)?
that way all leechers would be able to leech more XD kidding aside, maybe we give this comunity more room to expand..
#7  September 13, 2007, 02:26:39 am
  • In after lock
I can think of plenty of people who are both thieves and can pass your test.  Next.

the only other way would be to make all creations Open-Source, and i doubth anone would agree to that...
It doesn't matter if that's agreed upon or not.  Mugen has been open source since 1999. :sugoi:

Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:29:40 am by Messatsu
#8  September 13, 2007, 02:37:43 am
just for discussion sake... can i have a list via Pm of such people?
(plus is it not correct to say that if they are part of the thing and are allowed to use the stuff ? (a thing which btw i never said... the things produced do need to have a page of credits... Naturally... and people not obaying that would be excluded))

i agree to the other comment, but apparently this whole community did not bofore the recent changes, and i know at least 10-20 authors that do not agree to that... and would get pissed if stuff is used without authorization... ... ..
however it would be nice to achive such a unanimouse declaration would it not?
#9  September 13, 2007, 02:46:26 am
  • In after lock
just for discussion sake... can i have a list via Pm of such people?
Just assume everything I say is true...  Anyway, I'll be the first to admit it.

i agree to the other comment, but apparently this whole community did not bofore the recent changes, and i know at least 10-20 authors that do not agree to that... and would get pissed if stuff is used without authorization... ... ..
however it would be nice to achive such a unanimouse declaration would it not?
Not possible + do not want.