YesNoOk

Possible Windows Me sound solution  (Read 10298 times)

Started by Tom Servo, February 12, 2004, 06:58:32 am
Share this topic:
Possible Windows Me sound solution
#1  February 12, 2004, 06:58:32 am
  • Pretending to know Japanese is stupid.
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
Please keep in mind, that I'm not sure exactly why this works, and I don't think it will work for everybody's sound card.  And it doesn't work with Windows XP.  

In Windows ME you can't run VDMSound or that other program, so if your sound isn't totally right, I found a strange way to fix it.  It's works on sound blaster cards but I don't know if it works with all versions.

First make sure the sound card option in mugen is set to SB10.  If you have a sound blaster sound card this should still work... but it won't sound 100% right.  
Now the trick is to get windows to play a system sound effect while mugen is running.  What I mean by "system sound effect" is when you set windows to play a sound effect when windows does something. (You know like finishing a download, asking a question, or shutting down)
For some reason this forces windows quality sound to kick in and mugen sounds 100% better, without crashing or slowing down.
Now you can't just push a button and make that sound effect play, a very simple way is to start a download, run mugen, and make sure it finishes while mugen is running.  But this can be annoying and pointless to do.  What I do, is I open a text document... make some small change to it, like a space or something.  Then I highlight the mugen.exe file in the folder behind the text document.  Then I close the text document, without saving, and windows should ask....

"Whatever has been changed.  Save changes" and the question sound effect will play.  If Mugen is highlighted in the folder behind the text document, all you have to do is press enter to say yes, and again press enter to run mugen.  The sound effect will play as mugen is running to force windows quality sound to work with mugen.  It works for me, everytime.

I posted this, because I'm wondering just what makes this work.  And to see if it works for other people, so I can suggest this technique as a solution to others.
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.
Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 07:30:21 pm by Tom Servo
Re:Possible Windows Me sound solution
#2  February 12, 2004, 01:37:06 pm
One question: do you have a full-duplex sound card?
#3  February 14, 2004, 10:47:19 am
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what that is.

I'm just using the sound card that came with my computer.
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.
#4  February 14, 2004, 01:40:52 pm
It means: can you use a software to play some sound, and another one to play another sound, or a software to play some sound while another is recording some?
#5  February 14, 2004, 07:29:53 pm
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
Yes, that I can do with no problem.
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.
#6  February 14, 2004, 08:29:45 pm
Then your sound card has the full-duplex.
And I do believe there are other methods to get a nice sound in Mugen.
#7  February 17, 2004, 04:20:19 am
  • Lost all his MUGEN stuff in hard disk crash. :(
  • CHIKARA TO EIKOU!!!
    • Philippines
    • Skype - o_hermanm
    • www.rotbrc.com
For windows ME, you can get good old DOS sound back by getting VXD-based drivers for your sound cards. Newer sounds do not have VXD drivers anymore, except for the oh-so-goody Crystal Media Audio.

VXD Drivers are your only way to get perfect MUGEN sound, but you will have to sacrifice full-duplex sounds, or windows sound and dos sound playing at the same time.

WDM Drivers are the newer method of drivers for sound cards; you will gt playing sound regardless in DOS or WIndows, but you need to sacrifice sound quality and STEREO. Or if you don't mind the sound pitch retardation, go for SBPRO setting in MUGEN.

Now if you're willing to meet midway regarding sound quality, just use WDM drivers and set MUGEN to use sb10, sb15 or sb20, or SBPRO whichever works. Just be careful, not all soundcards can handle sb15, sb20 and sbpro in a stable manner. Some cards crashes MUGEN after a certain period, or the audio corrupts after a few minutes, or may not play at all.
Orochi Herman: MUGEN Creator, Producer Video Editor and Web Programmer

And possibly more other shady things lol

https://www.facebook.com/OrochiHerman/
#8  February 17, 2004, 04:35:25 am
  • Tends to lose track of things a lot. :/
    • www.mugenguild.com/~winane/
Um, I've got a WDM driver for my soundcard, with full-duplex, and my Mugen game has full stereo and no sound pitch retardation.  MP3 playback tends to sound kinda horrid, particularly with low-volume MP3s, but characters' sounds usually sound just fine.  Only problem is that the sound in Mugen tends to completely stop working until reboot if I exit Mugen and then run it again.

Too lazy to try Tom Servo's trick, though.
Still quite busy.

(Yes, I intend to deal with that stuff eventually, but kinda can't just yet, sorry. :/ )
#9  February 17, 2004, 09:28:26 pm
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
Yeah I have that same exact problem.  Mugen sound eventually just stops, and you have to restart the computer.  I found that exiting all other programs and running rambooster while playing stops that from happening.  I think it has something to do with the amount of memory, because my sound would often die when I was playing with characters that took a while to load.
Digu, try my trick out, it might work for you.  Its not that hard.
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.