YesNoOk

How to attach a "poison status effect" hitbox to the foe, hurting foe every 2s? (Read 1369 times)

Started by Mimikyutest77, December 10, 2019, 08:25:25 am
Share this topic:
How to attach a "poison status effect" hitbox to the foe, hurting foe every 2s?
#1  December 10, 2019, 08:25:25 am
    • UK
You use the Poison Move. It hits. The foe turns purple for a half second and gains a "purple bubbles" VFX in his corner ripped off from Pokemon Emerald. The effect goes away in 12 seconds. But every 2 seconds until the effect goes away, the foe unblockably takes 100 damage and a second of hitstun. And turns purple for a second while in this hitstun.

How do I pull this off? How do I make the poison move?
Re: How to attach a "poison status effect" hitbox to the foe, hurting foe every 2s?
#2  December 10, 2019, 08:47:46 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You'll use a helper, and "attach" it to P2.
It'll start in the attack state. You'll want to code it similar to an Ultra Throw. Except the hitdef wont send P2 into a custom state, it'll just be a "normal" hit reaction.
Make the helper exit to a cool down stage and add a variable +1. Code that 2nd state's ChangeState to go back to the original attack state after the time you want. ABOVE the changestate code a destroyself and look for the Var value to equal the amount of attacks you want, but minus 1.

For the time being, use a small animation for each statedef so you can see it on screen. Use Ctrl+C to see the collision boxes.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Re: How to attach a "poison status effect" hitbox to the foe, hurting foe every 2s?
#3  December 11, 2019, 08:25:18 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Thats evil. 600 damage you can't block and it breaks your states every 2 seconds preventing moves and allowing your opponent to deal more damage?

Nasty. Unless you're trying for cheap in which case have at it.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  December 13, 2019, 09:37:21 pm
    • UK
You'll use a helper, and "attach" it to P2.
It'll start in the attack state. You'll want to code it similar to an Ultra Throw. Except the hitdef wont send P2 into a custom state, it'll just be a "normal" hit reaction.
Make the helper exit to a cool down stage and add a variable +1. Code that 2nd state's ChangeState to go back to the original attack state after the time you want. ABOVE the changestate code a destroyself and look for the Var value to equal the amount of attacks you want, but minus 1.

For the time being, use a small animation for each statedef so you can see it on screen. Use Ctrl+C to see the collision boxes.

Thank you. Also, I'm sorry but I dont know what an Ultra Throw is. How do they work?
Thats evil. 600 damage you can't block and it breaks your states every 2 seconds preventing moves and allowing your opponent to deal more damage?

Nasty. Unless you're trying for cheap in which case have at it.

It's okay because the character is weak and cant combo for crap, also you're right. I'm nerfing this to 70 damage per 2 seconds.
#5  December 14, 2019, 08:11:00 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Honestly. I don't know what he means by ultra throw either. If it is just the attack method this is really easy though. Spawn a helper when the initial move hits. Give it a full screen hitbox. Use the env.palfx bits of hitdef to turn your opponent purple (check the docs for this)

Lastly. Its hitting 6 times every 2 seconds so just do

Trigger1 = time = 120 || time = 240 || time = 360 || time = 480 || time = 560

As triggers for the hitdef which is simpler than a variable. Destroy the helper when time = 561 or more. If you want to get fancy you can get into chainid so you can only hit one opponent but simul is bs anyway.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.