YesNoOk

Interest in Filmed Cosplay Characters? (Read 2642 times)

Started by Bane84, June 01, 2016, 05:04:29 am
Interest in Filmed Cosplay Characters?
#1  June 01, 2016, 05:04:29 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
I've been thinking of expanding my filmed characters past the original/homage/parody characters featured in MK Too and expanding to actual cosplayers acting out the characters that they are cosplaying as.  There are a number of points of interest/conflict if I decide to pursue this:

Points of Interest
  • The chosen roster would not be limited to video games.  Possible characters could also be from TV shows, comics, movies, books, etc.  The inspiration is to create an assortment of crossover characters (similar to games like Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom, Jump Ultimate Stars, etc), some of which haven't been done in MUGEN yet.
  • The same actor could potentially cosplay multiple characters, especially if their costumes are top notch.
  • For characters based on gaming media, their signature moves are most likely already concrete and may not require much of a design effort to make them a viable fighter.
  • For controls, the idea is to create a unified control scheme that is shared between all the characters (similar to Smash Bros).
Points of Conflict
  • Depending on the character, effects could be very asset intensive (3D model overlays, attack effects, etc).  Before filming a new character, all of the effects and voice work would need to be solidified up front.
  • Since this is a cosplayer acting out the moves from the source material, if the character originates from media where it would probably be physically impossible to perform the move as it appears, this may detract from the overall quality (Street Fighter the Movie: The Game), especially if the character should be taken seriously.
  • There are certain characters (such as those from fighting games) that people expect to play a certain way.  If damage is off, moves are not frame perfect, hit velocities are off, etc, it would most likely detract from the overall character quality.
  • I'm still working on MK Too behind the scenes, so my time would be split between that effort and this one.
  • The roster is limited to local cosplayers I know personally and people they know, as well as the characters they have cosplayed as before, so I would not be open to requests.
  • Unless they're in a full body costume, anthropomorphic characters are most likely out.
  • Potential copyright infringement?
Some additional notes that I took when I was thinking about this idea:
  • This main idea behind this game is that it will involve the same idea of filming live actors to be the characters, except this time they are cosplaying as the characters that they are representing.  This means that each character's moveset will be based off of their source material.
  • Aside from the basic animations that are required for all characters in the engine (get hits, etc), moves will be divided into two categories (3 buttons for each):

1) Strikes (melee attacks w/ weapons or unarmed fighting)
    2) Skills (a character's special abilities)

A character may not necessarily utilize all of the attacks.  For fighting game characters, these buttons will be changed to more closely match their source game.
  • Each character will have one or more super moves which are their "signature" moves.  Again, each differs per character.
  • The special move commands will involve a direction and a button input (similar to Smash Bros) for simplicity.
I want to gauge interest in this concept before I decide to move forward with it.  Doing so would require me to upgrade my camera and tripod setup to achieve the best possible quality.  Let me know your thoughts.
Re: Interest in Filmed Cosplay Characters?
#2  June 01, 2016, 06:40:06 am
  • Coder and Voice Actor
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/thisisgir
Sounds neat o.o Make Edward Elric! I'll voice it!
Re: Interest in Filmed Cosplay Characters?
#3  June 02, 2016, 04:05:32 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I loved the idea, too bad I don't live in US (or where you come from) since I'm a cosplayer and I could help you with some characters and voices (maybe I can help with the latter)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X