YesNoOk

Adding Palettes to non-indexed characters... (Read 3087 times)

Started by Kolossoni, June 23, 2019, 07:18:34 pm
Share this topic:
Adding Palettes to non-indexed characters...
#1  June 23, 2019, 07:18:34 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Ttile says it.
Is there a quick & easy way to index a non-indexed character?
Re: Adding Palettes to non-indexed characters...
#2  June 24, 2019, 03:50:32 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Do the sprites all use the same exact colors?  It's OK if a few sprites have more or less colors, but that they must be the exact color values where you expect them to be.

If so, then you just need to create a palette with ALL the colors in it that are found in all the sprites... so what I would do is just open all the sprites that have different colors in one document in Photoshop, then index the image so that you have a palette with every color used.
Then when you import the sprites in FF3/FFStudio, you can choose the option to assign them a specific palette and choose that palette.
If the sprites have already been imported there's a function to replace the palettes of the sprites.

If the sprites do not have the exact colors where you want them... ehhhhhh it's a bit trickier.

#3  June 24, 2019, 04:12:52 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
Well, I've been using photoshop or any programs that allow indexed images.
I get the sprite with the most colors available, make a palette from that, and force the other images into that indexed copy.

Problem is, it's really tedious and stressful.

I never understood why creators put unindexed sprites into their fighters...
Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:18:06 pm by Kolossoni
#4  June 24, 2019, 04:23:11 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
You just need to be sure that you have 1 palette, that is not missing any colors from any of those sprites.  If there is an attack where the character pulls out a weapon with unique colors, things like that... just bring one of those sprites into the same Photoshop document.  It can be a huge canvas with sprites placed randomly all over it, it does not matter, just that you have all the colors used in that document.  Index this image and you'll have the complete palette.

Bring that palette into Fighter Factory 3 / Fighter Factory Studio, and then you can easily apply this palette to all of your sprites either when importing them, or if they are already all in there you can easily use the function "Palettes > Apply to the Groups" and you can apply that palette to all sprites in the sprite groups that you select in the window.

#5  June 24, 2019, 05:56:05 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
Thanks I'll try it out!