YesNoOk

How do I delete my account? (Read 13629 times)

Started by H Mr. Ton!, January 27, 2015, 12:19:35 am
Share this topic:
Re: How do I delete my account?
#21  March 14, 2015, 12:15:27 pm
  • animes are for pussies
    • Germany
No wonder this place has 62,239 members.

bumping this just to say, that considering that only 176 members voted at the COTY voting - and assuming that maybe 10 percent of the regularly active members voted - I'd estimate the total number of active members here rather at 2,000 - 3,000 max. and assuming that this is probably the biggest place on the net for mugeneers, I'd estimate the whole community of active Mugen players at not more than 10,000 people worldwide. (I could be wrong tho :P )
Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:49:51 pm by Gara
#22  March 14, 2015, 11:33:58 pm
  • Nori
    • somecomputersomewhere@yahoo.com
Gara I actually checked on this because Iced said he "does purges from time to time".  I wasn't going to post it, just based previous interactions I've had here, but here goes anyway.  Forgive me but after my homework I found Iced's purges kind of hard to believe. This forum advertises on it's home page as having 61,000+ members.

45,000 of those members have 0 posts and no profile pic.
50,000 of those members have 2 or less posts.
55,000 have 10 or less posts.
58,000 have 50 or less posts.

That leaves a little over 3,000 members with more than 50 posts.  And that's over the forums entire history.  If half of those members were still active today we'd have 1,500 active members.  Something tells me it's a bit less than that...

----------

I understand if the mods think it helps the community to *think there are more people involved here than there actually are.  Feeling like a hub of 61,000 mugen users exists makes the whole thing a little more appealing than a village of 3,000 (generously).

Personally I would side with the truth, for better or worse.  To me it's a question of false hope. Ultimately it's just dismissing misrepresentation as harmless for the sake of a false social context (and possible greed for content), the actual cost of which is many hours of peoples lives spent on creativity predicated on a false audience.  That's why I would side with the truth.

As for people being allowed to delete their own accounts, delete their own posts, edit their own posts etc, I think taking that away from people is far above the call of forum moderation.  (Personally it strikes me as a bit unduly power hungry, but who knows).  Not to mention it's correlation to the apparent number of members.

So that's my take.  I hardly expect anyone to agree with me on all of that, but as people are entitled to their own opinions, that is mine.    If you want to bash it, please don't confuse my lack of a response with a change of mind.
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:33:46 pm by H Mr. Ton!
#23  March 14, 2015, 11:42:25 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Who the fuck cares if only about 10% of the registered users are active? And where is Guild "advertising" how many people are registered? Are you talking about the box at the bottom? That's on almost every SMF board I've seen in my life.
#24  March 14, 2015, 11:48:45 pm
  • Nori
#25  March 14, 2015, 11:53:58 pm
what you wanna remove your account for, however?
#26  March 14, 2015, 11:59:09 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I understand if the mods think it helps the community to *think there are more people involved here than there actually are.  Feeling like a hub of 60,000 mugen users exists makes the whole thing a little more appealing than a village of 4-5,000 (generously).

Personally I would side with the truth, for better or worse.  To me it's a question of false hope. Ultimately it's just dismissing misrepresentation as harmless for the sake of a false social context (and possible greed for content), the actual cost of which is many hours of peoples lives spent on creativity predicated on a false audience.  That's why I would side with the truth.

...that's an smf/eosalpha in-built feature. The forum uses the default theme, no need for fancy layouts.

We're not trying to dupe anyone or increase our e-peni by bragging about our immense userbase. Mugen is a niche thing, and everyone who has a working brain realizes that at some point. Take the tin foil hat off.
#27  March 15, 2015, 12:03:59 am
45,000 of those members have 0 posts and no profile pic.
50,000 of those members have 2 or less posts.
55,000 have 10 or less posts.
58,000 have 50 or less posts.
You're not considering those who have an account, don't post, but still log in regularly (or even just once in a while), and possibly use PMs. Or even those who don't use PMs but use the fact that they have an account to keep track of topics they like, and how many new threads there have been in such-and-such section.
Any kind of purge would definitely ONLY remove users who haven't actually logged in since a couple of years AND have no post at all. Even those who have only a few posts and haven't logged in years can't be removed, that'd just be shitty for anyone who thinks "hey, I wonder what happened to this place, I should check it out -- hey, where'd my account go ? I definitely had one..." even if you say "well they can just register again".

As for people being allowed to delete their own accounts, delete their own posts, edit their own posts etc, I think taking that away from people is far above the call of forum moderation.
Deleting accounts and posts can break a topic (well, not break it, but make it lose all sense) and makes it harder to keep track of people who try to evade bans and warning, and try to sweep under the rug some bad shit they did and act like they're clean. Posts can be sent to the bin, however. It's not being power hungry, it's common sense given some of the things certain members here have been known to do in the past.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:08:58 am by DKDC
#28  March 15, 2015, 12:06:20 am
I know Iced deletes some accounts every once in a while because I checked one account some months ago and today that account doesn't exist. It was an account with no name with the location "Omega Ruins", it was the first in the Member List. And it had 0 posts. Is that enough proof? I can't check sixty thousand account, but I noticed that one disappeared.

In the homepage it isn't "advertising" how many people there are here, it's just telling you the Statistics: the number of posts, topics, members, etc.  in the right column of the homepage of the forum, written with a little font. But I don't know your idea of advertisement.

Most people, when signing up here, don't even care about the number of registered users: they come here, write one or two posts and they're done: what are you going to do about that? You can't do anything about it anyway. Leave them be.
Edit: or they do what Byakko/DKDC says above me.

What's the matter, in any case? It won't change the life of anybody, so why are we even discussing this?
#29  March 15, 2015, 12:07:43 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
someone is confused. I only purge accounts that havent been around for years or havent logged in for years and have no posts . I would never delete an account because it has only 1 or 2 posts. all of those posts matter in some way or another and I wouldnt go around tracking accounts to delete.

Smf shows everyone that creates an account, you cant decide to delete someone account because they are not "active enough".

#30  March 15, 2015, 12:25:38 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
#31  March 15, 2015, 12:37:22 am
  • Nori
You're not considering those who have an account, don't post, but still log in regularly (or even just once in a while), and possibly use PMs. Or even those who don't use PMs but use the fact that they have an account to keep track of topics they like, and how many new threads there have been in such-and-such section.
A extremely marginal fraction I'm sure. Even if that number were to double the initial projection it would do nothing to destabilize the point.   

Any kind of purge would definitely ONLY remove users who haven't actually logged in since a couple of years AND have no post at all. Even those who have only a few posts and haven't logged in years can't be removed, that'd just be shitty for anyone who thinks "hey, I wonder what happened to this place, I should check it out -- hey, where'd my account go ? I definitely had one..." even if you say "well they can just register again".
An even smaller fraction.  And even if someone was to return 5 years later to find their account deleted for inactivity, you're talking about people who have 0 posts, as though not being able to log in locks them out of something they would have otherwise been involved in.  At that level of interaction, 0 posts in 5 years (and 0 pms for shits sake), just browsing as a guest or making a new account could be expected.  I know I wouldn't be surprised to find my account deleted after 3-5 years and absolutely 0 activity ever.  I would just make a new one if I wanted to post. 

The weight and counter weight are:
A) The number of people who return after 3-4 years and 0 posts total to find their account deleted for inactivity and are actually mildly disappointed to find they have to create a new account if they want to post.

B) The number of people who invest hours upon hours in creating something because they think they have an audience of 61,000 when it's actually more like 2,000 tops.

Even one for one I would go in favor of B.
#32  March 15, 2015, 12:46:57 am
#33  March 15, 2015, 12:55:02 am
A extremely marginal fraction I'm sure.
See, I'll just entirely disregard your personal opinion of how many people that makes until you can back that up.
What's not marginal is the number of people who tried to erase the records of the shit they said and attempted to come back under a different name in hope that no one would notice. For that alone, the option of deleting your account or entirely erasing your posts is a bad thing. There are a lot of places where this shouldn't be a problem, but people in this community can have a bone to pick and can spread some shit pretty far and wide.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#34  March 15, 2015, 12:55:45 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah, in the 13-14 years of Guild you are the 1st person that seems to think the "inaccurate" number of users posted on the front page are a big deal. Perhaps we should put a disclaimer.

"Caution, audience may be smaller than what appears."

Amy

#35  March 15, 2015, 01:28:30 am
  • Ignorin'U
    • Switzerland
    • network.mugenguild.com/amysden/index.html
Why would you even want to delete your account? Please don't go we love you.

If you don't want to be around anymore just turn off your computer and go read a book, it's simple.
#36  March 15, 2015, 01:29:29 am
  • Nori
Yeah, in the 13-14 years of Guild you are the 1st person that seems to think the "inaccurate" number of users posted on the front page are a big deal.
In those 13 - 14 years how many users (out of 2000, not 61,000) do you think had any reason to suspect that number is actually 30 times higher than perhaps it should be?  And in those 13-14 years how many users do you think tried to start a project thinking they were in a community of 61,000 rather than 2,000 where if they knew, they might not have bothered?  Why should they distrust that number? 

Point:  There exists in reality a(n unobtainable) number of exactly how many hours of people's lives that "61,000" has wasted, and I don't think that's negligible.  Seeing that this issue clearly isn't going to come up often, I think it deserves at least some serious consideration.  Think about it for their sakes if for no other reason.     

That's really all I have to say about it.
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:32:56 am by H Mr. Ton!
#37  March 15, 2015, 01:40:59 am
how many users (out of 2000, not 61,000) do you think had any reason to suspect that number is actually 30 times higher than perhaps it should be?  And in those 13-14 years how many users do you think tried to start a project thinking they were in a community of 61,000 rather than 2,000 where if they knew, they might not have bothered?
A better question is why anyone would be bothered that the active community is 2000 members instead of 61000, and why should we care about those that think it matters.

Point:  There exists in reality a(n unobtainable) number of exactly how many hours of people's lives that "61,000" has wasted, and I don't think that's negligible.  Seeing that this issue clearly isn't going to come up often, I think it deserves at least some serious consideration.
Counter-point : the number of hours that were not wasted on the countless nutjobs that came here over the years and were not able to erase their records and start over with more of the same shit they did before is far greater than that number. This consideration trumps your consideration any day.

You're just plowing straight with your idea and you're not even listening to the various explanations that were presented to you, just deflecting and insisting that all of this is somewhat bad and needs to be changed. Where exactly do you think this is going ? We do hear your point, it's just that you're wrong.
#38  March 15, 2015, 01:44:23 am
  • still a shitposter at heart
    • USA
in reality nowhere, but probaly he's still gonna attempt to explain to you the rest of his idea why.

but here's my point about your argument mr.ton

your point is Invalid.
When christans be on thot patrol...

whores need to learn to keep their legs closed.
Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:16:39 am by Toonar12X
#39  March 15, 2015, 01:45:02 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Creating shit just to be popular, be it for a crew of 2,000 or 60,000 is a genuine, massive waste of time.
#40  March 15, 2015, 02:14:49 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
If you've made some drama shit here, you gotta suck it up and admit your mistakes. I did some stupid shit myself but I just accept my mistakes and learn from them, trying to run away won't solve anything man.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States