YesNoOk

3d rendered MUGEN characters, tips for keeping as little colorloss as possible? (Read 10427 times)

Started by JudaiZX, November 02, 2015, 03:59:36 pm
Share this topic:
3d rendered MUGEN characters, tips for keeping as little colorloss as possible?
#1  November 02, 2015, 03:59:36 pm
  • hecc
Not sure if it should go here or the MUGEN help forums, but I've been considering making a 3d rendered MUGEN character, but one thing I'm worried about is colorloss issues and exceeding that 256 color limit, but I'm seeing many 3d rendered characters in MUGEN that look amazing with almost no colorloss whatsoever(For example Dragonclaw, Deretun's MMD Mikus, That 3d Mewtwo(I forgot what your name was whoever made it and I can't check the .def at the moment).
Anyone have any advice for me to render my character in a way that keeps the least amount of colorloss as possible? I have Blender, 3dsMax, MMD, and Brawlbox.
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:07:03 pm by I am The Master Donut of Cruxis?
Re: 3d rendered MUGEN characters, tips for keeping as little colorloss as possible?
#2  November 03, 2015, 12:06:30 am
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
I've tried a few techniques over the years, you can either try hard cel shading (plus a handful of transition colors) with a limited palette and simple outlines (like Mewtwo), this is the easiest way to output renders you can index with basically no color bleeding if you use flat-colored textures. For Zangoose I tried to combine this with antialiased black outlines but it has some slight color bleeding issues that I hid by making all the outlines very dark.

A more technical idea I've been thinking about is rendering two seperate images, one greyscale for shading (and outlines if desired) and a second one that only contains flat colors. Basically in a manner similar to Skullgirls, but manually compositied due to MUGEN's limitations if you index both images seperately and then layer them over each other you should have exactly A * B colors in each sprite, which gives you a decent amount of space to fit several colors in 255 indexes.

I would assume Dragon Claw was rendered with smooth shading and two contrasting colors (as it's a primarily two-color design) and indexed down to a managable palette, it has a tiny amount of bleed on the darkest shade of yellow but it's so barely noticable it's still a very impressive character.
Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:14:12 am by The 100 Mega Shock!
Re: 3d rendered MUGEN characters, tips for keeping as little colorloss as possible?
#3  November 03, 2015, 06:13:32 pm
  • hecc
The cel shading method sounds like it would work fine, MMD can render Cel shading really well.  I might have to redo the textures on my character a bit first.
second method you mentioned sounds like it could work too, I've heard of a similar method being used with stages, but my only problem with that is thats going to probably double the .SFF size which is already going to be beefy.
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4  July 10, 2016, 07:52:11 pm
  • Lost all his MUGEN stuff in hard disk crash. :(
  • CHIKARA TO EIKOU!!!
    • Philippines
    • Skype - o_hermanm
    • www.rotbrc.com
If you're going to render it from 3d and do massive rotoscoping (or trying to avoid it), know the following:

1. Typical 2d fighting game sprites run at a resolution of 320x240 (Capcom, SNK pre-XII) or 640x480 (GG, BB, KOF XII to XIII)
2. Unless it's rendered well, stay within 16-24 colors. Anything above that might require post-processing.
3. Be wary of edges and make sure when you export it, transparency especially in the edges is crisp and sharp. If the colors bleed, you're doing it wrong.
4. Post-processing is unavoidable and sometimes necessary to retouch. Make sure that when you render it, it goes out right the first time.
5. Remember the export specs and model resolution you're using because consistency is a known issue for 3d-rendered sprites.
6. Framerates. Stick to one. Not too smooth but not too rough. Think of GG Xrd.
Orochi Herman: MUGEN Creator, Producer Video Editor and Web Programmer

And possibly more other shady things lol

https://www.facebook.com/OrochiHerman/