Started by Mog, June 12, 2011, 12:39:19 am
Share this topic:

Mog

Game of Thrones
#1  June 12, 2011, 12:39:19 am
Re: Game of Thrones
#2  June 12, 2011, 01:30:16 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
It sounds like a evil show that is sinful.

Plus it has wolves.

Wolves are evil
#3  June 12, 2011, 03:03:34 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I got hooked on this show from the first ep, each episode seems to go further and further into greatness, cant wait for tomorrows episode. Awesome awesome show. I whistle the opening song all the time :p
#4  June 12, 2011, 03:25:30 am
What Neo said, especially the whistling part. I found the show after I'd caught up on Spartacus. Every episode is just so engaging.

My favorite moments are Arya's "Dance" lessons:

“There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today.’” -Syrio. Magnificent!
#5  June 12, 2011, 03:34:13 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I also started to pick this up after sparatacus, which is another awesome show,I've always enjoyed movies and whatnot in the times of knights and kings, I even started a novel that brings back that very same atmosphere.

everything should start to come forward this sunday,

ps,the queen is such a bitch.
#6  June 12, 2011, 03:44:27 am
Yes. Yes she is. Her son is a prick, too. But I love the Queen's character.

Only character I can't stand is Sansa, now that bitch is annoying. I'd say the same about Joffrey, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his comeuppins. His uncle on the other hand is pure awesome. I love it all.
#7  June 12, 2011, 03:59:08 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I'm so bad with names, ya her son is a little prick.

Sansa is the eldest Stark daughter I assume, ya I don't like her either, joffrey is a prick, ya and the imp is cool too.

also I rather enjoy the other kingdom as well,daenerys <3
#8  June 12, 2011, 04:04:23 am
Don't sweat the names. I love the King of the Daenerys. He was pretty lame at first but after that ending in "A Golden Crown" everything he does is simply epic. The "Golden Crown" is probably my favorite tv moment.

The stuff with Jon Snow makes me want to pick up the books. Anyone here read them?

Mog

#9  June 12, 2011, 12:24:00 pm
I KNOW I'm going to pick up those books.  Khal Drogo is my favorite character so far.  (he just looks good naked, heh heh)  And the Dothraki are without a doubt the most interesting of the people/tribes. There are a LOT of really great evil, conniving, treacherous characters, but I always felt Viserys was a weasel and I nearly cheered when he got his golden crown.

:bow:
#10  June 12, 2011, 07:34:10 pm
    • Poland
I got hooked by show too... But I watch much more than Spartacus & I heard about GoT for while so I was expecting good stuff & I got just that.

I immediately bought 4 volumes of book series & now I almost finished first Volume. And I cam assure you it's even better. Show is good adaptation but in books we can see thoughts of characters (Martin use that very often to explain past of characters & events in Westeros) and you can see they are much more deep than it's seems from the show.

In show they skipped some parts of first book & some important scenes. If you didn't read the book there are some little plot holes here & there. But in the end, adaptation is nice shorter version of the book. And cast is awesome.

It's such realistic Fantasy. It's rare to see story wth such real characters which are not good or bad, just grey XD  I never had so much fun with fantasy book since The Witcher by Andrew Sapkowski.

And I can already tell you you will be VERY suprised last two episodes...
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#11  June 13, 2011, 01:25:15 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
This series is a very good adaptation of the books, but the books are obviously even better.
I'm half way through tome 3, and it's really very dark and nice.

There are four books for now, and the 5th one will come out in July. There are 7 planned books.

It's really nice to see a series in Heroic Fantasy style which is not just "Good VS Evil". Nobody is really good, nobody is really evil. It's just that some people are more sadistic than others. :P
It's more of the story of Westorous (or whatever it's called in English), and how each family and clan fights for power, controlling and using others at the best of its capacities, leading to wars, treasons, and lots of SEX and BOOBS! 8)

Mog

#12  June 13, 2011, 01:50:25 am
lots of SEX and BOOBS! 8)

I might add, thats not just gratuitous sex and boobs (and naked guys, dont forget the naked guys and yes I was shocked!!  lol), there is a very good reason for that sex.  But dont watch it while eating, the graphic chopping and slicing kind of sneeks in there when you least expect it.

I'm glad to hear people speak well of the books, not all fantasy books are that great.

#13  June 13, 2011, 05:26:07 am
    • France
not all fantasy books are that great.
Thus my :
It's really nice to see a series in Heroic Fantasy style which is not just "Good VS Evil".

I mean, I like series like Lord of the Rings, Dragon Lance or Forgotten Realms, but let's face it, they're just "Ima group of heroes gonna live big adventure to kill big bad guys and save the world!"

That's mainly why I love Games of Thrones so much, as well as all of Robin Hobb's series (The Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy, etc.).
#14  June 13, 2011, 08:16:47 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
just finished tonight's episode all I can say is wow to the ending.Shit is going down big time.
#15  June 13, 2011, 04:58:04 pm
    • Poland
Cybaster summarized whole book series pretty well. I hate schematics & cliche stories and that's why as much I like fantasy genre, it's rare to see truly good one.  That's why "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (which TV show is based on) is great example how story should be made. Characters are neither good or bad, even most honorable men have some sins, and most darkest characters have some good deeds.

Also Martin doesn't afraid to kill characters, which make story even more realistic. If this would be a stand-alone show, some characters would never be killed, due to popularity and that's alone make story it predictable... But it's not orrdinary series/books and best example of it is today episode. I really would like to see your faces when you watched the ending :D
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16

Mog

#16  June 13, 2011, 05:15:29 pm
I just found  Game of Thrones on one of my bookshelves.  HOW DID I NOT KNOW IT WAS THERE?   >:(  (well probably because I have about 1200 unread books)  I'll start on it today.  I'm sure I wont be lucky enough to have the others in the series , but I'll look anyway.

I have episode 9 recorded, I'm watching that when I'm done with my work today.

#17  June 14, 2011, 01:12:24 am
just finished tonight's episode all I can say is wow to the ending.Shit is going down big time.

Yes. After seeing this show I would just like to reiterate my hatred for Joffrey and his "betrothed," Sansa.

Also, Arya continues to be a badass in the making. Friggin' bird did not stand a chance. :p
#18  June 14, 2011, 02:59:09 am
    • Poland
Yes. After seeing this show I would just like to reiterate my hatred for Joffrey and his "betrothed," Sansa.

Joffrey is madman. What you expect from child convcieved by twin siblings ? Incest destroyed Targaeryn Family for reason.

As for Sansa I can explain her behaviour.

Stark's children have different age in books. Sansa is 13, Jon Snow is 14, and Robb Stark is 15. Also Daenerys is 13. In one of interviews George R. R. Martin (author of books, writer & executiive producer of the show) admited that one of this he would like to change in in the books is age of kids. That's why, when HBO, who was afraid of constroversy about kids's age, proposed to raise age up, he agreed quickly. 

So Sansa behaviour seems childish but it's consistent with events of first book, because in the book she 13 years old. I mean 13 years old girls can be naive don't you think ? Also her personality is better explained in the book. I mean she was raised by hearing all those ballads and epic love stories about strong perfect knights & their beloved princesses. When she heard she will marry Joffrey, she thought her dream about being princess and some happy fairy tale life, is happenning. Who could resist that ? Manipulations of Cersei did the rest.

Infact in the show there is important scene skipped which indicated that Sansa told Cersei about return to Winterfell (which eventually led to imprisoning her &
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
. If she wouldn't warn Cersei nothing wouldn't happen. In the end she was innocent child who was tricked & manipulated by others.

Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:13:04 am by Jarek Bachanek
#19  June 14, 2011, 03:42:57 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
no spoilers bro :P but yeah, Sansa kicks ass when she grows up.

I read the books and CAN NOT get enough of this!

gratuitous sex scenes? YES. Mongol army killing everything? YES. Incest? YES.

I can't wait til they get to the next books. IMO those ones have richer scenes, though they've done fantastic so far.

Also this has been confirmed for another season, whooo!
#20  June 14, 2011, 03:56:06 am
    • France
Yeah, this is indeed a big spoiler you put there. Might as well warn people to not open the spoiler if they haven't read the books.
I showed the first episode to my girlfriend, the atmosphere and universe was too creepy for her. :(
#21  June 14, 2011, 04:15:04 am
Try showing her some clips of the Arya sparring. They're the most charming parts of the series, imho.
#22  June 14, 2011, 05:05:01 am
    • France
A little bit of coolness won't change the fact that Targaryan brother is hitting his sister and watching her naked, that there's incest in the Lannister family, that there are many crude scenes with heads cut and other bloody gore stuff. Bleh, whatever, I'll let her continue reading her stuff while I'm happy with my Dark Fantasy things. :)

Mog

#23  June 14, 2011, 05:43:15 am
I just finished ep 9.  Oh MY! I sure wasn't expecting THAT!

#24  June 14, 2011, 06:00:33 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
how many episodes are there supposed to be this season?

Mog

#25  June 14, 2011, 06:14:53 am
0nly 10!  nooooooooooooo

:'(
#26  June 14, 2011, 06:19:40 am
    • France
If the end of the season corresponds to the end of the first book, then next episode would be the last one indeed.
Now you guys and girls can all go read book(s) 2+ if you want to know what happens next. :D

Mog

#27  June 14, 2011, 06:23:33 am
I have the worst memory ever.  Thats why spoilers never bother me, I always forget what I read  by the time I see the episode.  But I'm starting the book tonight.

#28  June 14, 2011, 06:39:20 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I think I will too myself, cable shows go on break for long periods of time. so the next time this is on might not be till next april or later.
#29  June 14, 2011, 08:35:45 am
You all have a point. By the time the next season roles around I'll have forgotten all about any spoilers. I've been enjoying being unaware of the books plot so far but with the season coming to a close it might be time for me to invest in the novels.
#30  June 15, 2011, 12:41:27 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
the fifth (of seven) book is coming out in July, that's going to be sweet. Man second season is going to be great, I've always been a fan of Stannis, it's going to be sweet to see him and the priestess out.
#31  June 15, 2011, 01:15:55 am
    • France
I don't like Stannis, but I want to see how big boobs/red dress priest is gonna look like. :)

Mog

#32  June 15, 2011, 06:35:53 pm
I'm about 80 pages in and it's interesting how the series does follow the novel so far.  (Apart from the ages of some of the characters.)  I love the writing style and I probably wont get any work done this afternoon.

#33  June 16, 2011, 09:34:54 pm
#34  June 17, 2011, 04:53:16 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
#35  June 17, 2011, 05:55:51 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
whoa looks awesome, ya I'm gonna grab the books tomorrow when I get paid,(I need to get back to writing my own damn novel....)
#36  June 17, 2011, 06:25:56 am
    • France
A cookie to whoever hasn't read the books and guesses :
- What the fire the Khaalesi makes is going to bring her.
- Who will finally be Sansa's first husband.
- How many Kings there will be in the next season.
#37  June 17, 2011, 06:33:21 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
omg can you stop semi spoiling!
#38  June 17, 2011, 06:35:18 am
    • France
Now you just want to read the books even more. 8)
#39  June 17, 2011, 06:37:01 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
yes I do, so you dont spoil me!
#40  June 20, 2011, 04:35:33 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
finale tonight!  : O
#41  June 20, 2011, 04:38:27 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
: O

last weeks episode ended so dramatic :(
#42  June 20, 2011, 04:42:58 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I know, I didn't expect that, I have it downloading now. (yay no cable -_-) I wonder if we're going to get some closure or its going to be left wide open to wait a whole 6-7 months.

Mog

#43  June 21, 2011, 01:19:11 am
about the season finale

#44  June 21, 2011, 01:22:30 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
that part kinda, threw everything else off for me, I knew the show was fantasy but I didn't expect that. I hope joffrey gets his head cleaned off at some point.I hate That little prick.
#45  June 21, 2011, 01:34:47 am
    • France
I knew the show was fantasy but I didn't expect that.
You do remember the first 5 minutes of the first episode right ? There are undead people killing humans.

Not a real spoiler, but just in case :
#46  June 21, 2011, 01:40:16 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I remember the undeads, and whatnot, I totally forgot about them because all the crazy fantasy stuff is so well placed, that still threw me off by alot lol.
#47  June 21, 2011, 01:42:14 am
    • Poland
I finished the book few days ago and after i watched finale I think it was good. 90% accurate to the book and most scenes were exact copies. It's onl;y shame we can't hear characters thoughts. It's main reason why I consider book ALOT greater.

I mean it's great show but after I started a book I also disliked it bit more. Book is full of events which aren;'t mentioned in show, abnd all characters have much deeper backgrounds (my second reason why I consider book greater).

About funeral scene, it was expected to happen. It was just matter of time and I like the fact they add more fantasy elements. I think in next volumes/season will be even more of it. 

Overall whole 1st season and first book are beggining to much bigger story (atleast for me). Once Again I'm so happy I bought all 4 volumes.

P.S. I can't wait to see whoo will play Stannis Baratheon &
. It will be exciting.

#48  June 21, 2011, 01:46:49 am
    • France
Indeed, in this kind of series, you definitely can't really display the character's thoughts without killing the rythm. How lame would it be to have an static image of a character for 5 minutes, while there's some off-screen voices telling his thoughts ? ;P

That's why characters have less background and books are always better, and that's why books such as Dune are so hard to transpose to movies/series, and that's why I'd really like to see an adaptation of Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, and hope it wouldn't fail, as it's a book first-person narrated book, for which you know only what the hero knows, and you know all his thoughts and not more.
#49  June 21, 2011, 02:01:39 am
    • Poland
I know it's obvious. That's why in the end every book ends up being better than adaptation. The only adaptation that I consider equal to the book, is The Godfather. .

I might take a look to other book series, since I love realistic aproach in fantasy series but it's depends on availability of polish version of the book and if my library have it. Besides there is huge amount of interesing books in other genres... all I need is time to read them since Im split between gaming, reading, watching tv shows & movies and having a life. Sometimes is hard to find balance in everything.   

As for boughting books directly, I only did 1 exception to "A Song of Ice and Fire" and I don't intend to buy more. It's too much cost for something that you only use it one time only.

#50  June 21, 2011, 02:09:15 am
    • France
all I need is time to read them since Im split between gaming, reading, watching tv shows & movies and having a life. Sometimes is hard to find balance in everything.   
For me, I must add "Having a girlfriend I'm living with", "coding Mugen characters" and "doing a PhD Thesis". ;P
So much for free time... I read in the toilet. :ninja:
#51  June 21, 2011, 02:23:16 am
In a lot of ways I feel like episode 9 was more of a finale finale than episode ten. Fire and Blood was great as always but it felt like more of a bridge to season 2. Heaven help me, I may actually start sympathizing with Sansa in the next season. You can already tell she'll be a stronger character come next season. S2 cannot come soon enough.

I don't go for fantasy stuff often so I've really enjoyed that the fantasy elements of the series have been taking such a slow and subtle build. I would be very sad if the series just suddenly became bogged by CGI and bad costumes.

Also...
I hope joffrey gets his head cleaned off at some point.I hate That little prick.

Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:28:32 pm by Alhambra

Mog

#52  June 21, 2011, 12:40:27 pm
I'm not rushing through the novel, how does someone rush through an 800 page novel?  Even then I'll have to rewatch season 1 right before the start of season 2 so I can remember whats going on.

#53  June 23, 2011, 09:10:35 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
episode 10 was the epilogue. the books are like that too, they don't hit the climax at the end, they hit the climax, then prepare you for the next novel.

I'm going to drop by chapters when the newest book comes out, oh man that's going to be good. extra focus on the dragons and the north.
#54  July 04, 2011, 02:14:20 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
started watching today, on the second episode, I have not read any of the previous posts as not to spoil myself.

The actors look alike too much too often. There are times on those where I cant tell who is who.
#55  July 04, 2011, 02:42:39 am
    • France
You'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's much worst in the books anyway, where you have to understand who is who among the 50 characters, with all the Lannisters and Starks out there, with no image to help you picture them.
#56  July 04, 2011, 03:03:02 am
    • Poland
Show helped me alot with reckognizing who is who when I started a book. Rest was easy. BTW I just started A Storm of Swords (3rd book). It's getting better & better although I couldn't resist & read alot abou whole series so I know pretty much what will happen....

Season 2 based on A Clash of Kings will be awesome. Game of Thrones (the book) was just start & introduction. True fun start in second book & later. It's rare see such realistic aproach in Epic Fantasy. I really consider Martin a genius because he created soo many characters that are just awesome in their own way. I love how he make them normal & real. No good vs evil bullshit. That's why they are so likeable. And the story is completely unpredictable...

I'm little worried thoough how HBO will adapt A Clash of Kings, who is larger than Game of Trones into 10 episodes fo second season. In first season they cutted many thing & I'm scared what will they do later when books are MUCH larger. I would love if they split A Clash of Kings for 2 seasons but I doubt it's gonna happen. And I wonder if Martin will finish book series before HBO will adapt last published book. Maybe the pressure will motivate him.

BTW Cybaster you need recomend me some similar books which have also similar type of characters (grey type, no good or evil) & non predictable story. That's all I need to consider it a good book. And it doesn't have to be Fantasy.

#57  July 04, 2011, 03:08:15 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
For starters they could take a mid season break, alternatively they could do what martin did with the last 2 books(4 and the upcoming 5 RELEASING JULY 12TH OMGOMG) he took half the characters that were in westeros and put them in one, and took the other characters on the Wall and in the East, etc. in the second book, along with short continuations of the chars in the last book to keep continuity.

I also agree, I hope they don't cut too much out.

Also something else I noticed, ep 10 has stuff from the intro of the second book... I didn't notice that at first. That's why it felt like an epilogue.
#58  July 04, 2011, 03:17:17 am
    • Poland
Also scene with Catelyn & Jamie from 10 episode was showed later in second book. Anyway even if they will cut some stuff out I decided aproach to show like to any other adaptation - treat books & show as separate things. Cast of the show is awesome and that's why I plan to watch next season despite of how much I love books MUCH more & I consider show not so great (just good).

I really liked some show only scenes. Particulary scene with Cersei & Robert was good. It provided good image of their marriage. 

#59  July 04, 2011, 04:24:58 am
    • France
BTW Cybaster you need recomend me some similar books which have also similar type of characters (grey type, no good or evil) & non predictable story. That's all I need to consider it a good book. And it doesn't have to be Fantasy.
Well, I'm really into fantasy and science-fiction, so that's mostly what I can speak of. ;P

The only one off the top of my head which would really fit what you're asking about are the various trilogies by Robin Hobb : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hobb
Basically, start by reading The Farseer Trilogy, then read the Liveship Traders Trilogy, and finally The Tawny Man Trilogy, sequel to the first one. They all happen in the same universe, even though they don't treat about the same subjects exactly.

Another of her trilogies is the Soldier Son Trilogy, which has no link to the other books, and is a wonderful story about the separation between two species, and a soldier son being in the middle of both worlds, without being able to choose a side (because none of them is evil, even though each side depicts the other one as evil).

Ongoing series is The Rain Wilds Chronicles, which happens in the same universe as the 3 first trilogies.

So yeah, start with the first book of the Farseer Trilogy, and see if you like it from there. ;)

Another one which may fit is The Black Company by Glen Cook : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company
I only read the first book, and it was really dark. It's worth a shot, even though I wasn't completely into it.
#60  April 02, 2012, 02:15:36 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
Just finished watching
Season 2, 1st episode

still awesome  :sugoi: can't wait 4 the next episode

Mog

#61  April 05, 2012, 11:32:03 am
I was just looking for this thread!  I'm just now starting the 5th novel in the series A Dance With Dragons ( are there really going to be 2 more?) and I'm going to have to re-watch last season before I start this season.  I'm glad I saved popcorn.

#62  April 05, 2012, 09:03:45 pm
    • Poland
I watched first episode and I like Mellisandre actress and Stannis. I disliked the part about poisoning thing, In books it was heavly implied that Mali survived thanks to Magic. In the show nothiing was suggested, we just have to guess what happened. Tyrion was badass as always. They also finally started showing "The Volvie Dreams" which is cool. BTW Robb's Wolf was pretty cool tho. Exactly how I pictured him in my mind.

Sadly now when I know the books (I still have to read A Dance with the Dragons, I just don't have time :-/) show seems to be shallow a bit. I only watch it for acting and exclusive scenes. Don't get me wrong it's great series on its own but books are so much better that you can easly notice how they shortened and shallowed the story for TV purposes... Martin have so amazing writing skills that it can't be 100% copied although I know they writers did their best. It's very good adaptation.

#63  April 06, 2012, 01:02:28 pm
I don't find the novels here, and even if they're available, probably going to be in limited quantity of expensive imports.

I love the setting of the movie, can't believe such level of details can be done for TV series. and also for the steadiness of its quality, unlike other serials with awesome pilot to be followed by boring episodes of mundane materials
#64  April 07, 2012, 06:26:35 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
I was just looking for this thread!  I'm just now starting the 5th novel in the series A Dance With Dragons ( are there really going to be 2 more?) and I'm going to have to re-watch last season before I start this season.  I'm glad I saved popcorn.

apparently the author's already got 300 pgs of manuscript for the sixth!

So excited for the next one!

#65  April 07, 2012, 10:17:39 am
reading a novel before the movie adaptation only leads to spoiler and disappointment, then why?
#66  April 07, 2012, 11:39:53 am
    • France
So you're saying that all those who read the Lord of the Rings shouldn't have watched the movies ? That doesn't make much sense.

It's a given the books are almost always better than any movie/series adaptation, but you watched the series to see how well realisators have adapted the script, the little changes they've made, what they've removed, to put a face on the protagonists (the actor playing Stannis was a good choice for example, as he's exactly how I imagined him, but I was waiting for a more beautiful actress for Melisandre).

I disliked the part about poisoning thing, In books it was heavly implied that Mali survived thanks to Magic.
Yeah, from what I remember of the books, she even drinks first, and the other one dies after drinking in the cup. This was poorly done here, and we have basically no insight that there's magic behind and who is this God they're talking about.

Also, for those who didn't know : the 2nd episode was leaked a few days ago on the internet because HBO made a mistake with their website, so you can DL it before the official day. :)

Mog

#67  April 07, 2012, 02:36:02 pm
I have a very poor memory when it comes to entertainment, so by the time I've finished one of these novels, I cant remember what the first half was about.  I don't mind spoilers of any kind.

#68  April 08, 2012, 02:19:34 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
reading a novel before the movie adaptation only leads to spoiler and disappointment, then why?

I read books 1-4 about 6 years ago before the series was announced :(

after that I couldn't possibly wait until season 5 came out to read the 5th book!

I disagree with you Cybaster on Stannis, maybe it's because I focused on Stannis more but I find the actor they picked, while accurate in terms of being super retentive(i.e the letter writing scene) he didn't have the same presence of Stannis.

Stannis is very strict and commanding, but is also somewhat obsessed with duty and honor and all that. He doesn't want to be king because he has ambition, but because he wants to fulfill his duty to his family and to the kingdom.

Completely agree on Melisandre though. They should've gotten someone way hotter.

Mog

#69  April 08, 2012, 01:33:16 pm
^  I dont remember any of those people.  I can see I'll need a cheat sheet of who's who for this series.  It's as bad as War and Peace.  I told you I have a terrible memory for this stuff.

#70  April 09, 2012, 12:27:08 pm
    • France
THat's why the books have 10 pages at the very beginning explaining who are the 50 main protagonists, divided in families. :P

@Lansman : well, we'll have to see when Stannis appears more, as he appeared merely a few seconds in this episode. Hoping for the best. :)
#71  April 09, 2012, 02:36:20 pm
what do you mean by appearing only for few second, he has
. He was quite the spotlight of the latest episode I watched 3 days ago
#72  April 09, 2012, 03:46:58 pm
    • France
Didn't watch the 2nd episode yet. :ninja:

Mog

#73  April 10, 2012, 08:53:11 pm
It's been renewed for a 3rd season!    yes!   

#74  April 11, 2012, 03:00:22 am
    • Poland
It was just formality :D

About second episode.
It's bit faster than first one. And while many of scenes are better presented in the books (obviously) it is still good entertaiment. I was bit suprised with Mel & Stannis scene. In the books theie affair was merely suggested. I guess writers wanted to be more straightforward about that than Martin  :ninja:

#75  April 11, 2012, 08:02:23 am
    • France
HBO, sex, naked women, yadda yadda.
#76  April 20, 2012, 11:44:44 pm
    • France
Revival. Let's all drink together during the next episode ! :D

#77  April 21, 2012, 05:01:06 am
I watched the 3rd episode 2 days ago, it didn't reveal anything important,  just a continuation of the previous episode
#78  April 21, 2012, 11:17:54 am
    • France
On a side note, I have the feeling this season is much harder to understand than the previous one.
Many new characters are introduced without any background, and you can't always see who is who with respect to others, what their motivations are, etc.
Kinda have the feeling the script isn't very clear for those who haven't read the books.
#79  April 21, 2012, 04:50:00 pm
I think for this kind of genre, a narrator with a godlike voice over a softly played epic theme song  is needed.

Mog

#80  April 22, 2012, 01:03:38 am
Revival. Let's all drink together during the next episode ! :D

I'm be so drunk by the end of 3 minutes I wouldnt be able to see!

I saw a G.O.T. cookbook somewhere thinking it might be interesting because of the really strange food in the books, but it was a rip-off.  It was just ordinary food.

>:(
#81  May 09, 2012, 08:36:30 pm
ugh I don't get the latest Game of Thrones
#82  May 10, 2012, 04:19:55 am
    • Poland
Last ep was cool, acting wise but story wise it was fucking stupid. They did so many cuts & changes... There was no resistance when Theon attack Winterfell (in book there was some fight) and it wasn't really explained why Sir Rodrik returhned alone, why he was cover in blood & what happened to his soldiers. I know they have low budget but they make story shallow & confusing for the viever. There is absolutely no battles even smallest ones... Quarth which is one of richest cities looks just poorly done. I see no richness in city like it was in the books.

Dany was annoying but she was (and still partially is) like that in books so I don't mind. This episode show how much experience she lacking as queen. She really expect that someone give her ships for empty promises ? lol And No one guarded the dragons :D  They dhould have been better protected. No suprise they have been stolen.

ugh I don't get the latest Game of Thrones

Well all forces of Robb Stark went with him to the south. They only left minimal forces in all castles of North and Theon took advantage of that. Winterfell was so big & respecting household that people thought no one dare to attack it. Theon used element of suprise and took it over with minimal forces. Of course all of it was left out in the show so viewvers have to guess (again) what happenned unless they readed the books, where everything is explained.

#83  May 10, 2012, 09:58:50 am
from his character in the movie, I can't imagine Theon can even fight, he needed to hack 3x + a kick just to cut a neck of an old guy.
#84  May 10, 2012, 10:33:12 am
    • France
Well, that's why even his family mocks him.
But yeah, surprise attack + no resistance.

I agree the series is really confusing for somebody who hasn't read the books. Some points are not explained enough, AT ALL.

I would'nt say they're low on budget, but it's a long series with many fictional regions, not a 2 hours movie by James Cameron.
#85  May 11, 2012, 08:23:36 am
while normally TV series go sluggish to make it as long as possible to reach any advancement in the story, this one is the total opposite  :P

GDM

#86  April 02, 2013, 04:13:22 pm
  • I'm not trolling
well third season started and so far its a slow start and man I hate to be in tyrion's shoes right now
#87  April 03, 2013, 08:41:28 am
    • Thailand
This episode was more funny than anything else.
#88  April 03, 2013, 11:39:14 am
    • France
At what point was it funny :???:

GDM

#89  April 03, 2013, 02:58:28 pm
  • I'm not trolling
I dont know either just waiting to see arya stark in the next episode and for the sixth book to come out
#90  April 03, 2013, 03:36:10 pm
    • Thailand
At what point was it funny :???:
Um, I don't know, maybe:

When Tyrion's Sellsword was interrupted by the boy and was threatened with murder continuously.

When Tyrion and his Sellsword were chatting about how much gold to pay the Sellsword.

When Sansa and Tyrion's lover were watching the ships and playing their silly game.

When the Arab guy was insulting Daenerys and her guardian in his own language and the slavegirl didn't know whether to actually translate what he was actually saying or not, because he was saying some pretty insulting shit with  a hlarious smirk on his face.

When that same Arab guy cut off some dude's nipple to prove a point and the dude thanked him for it.

When the Bastard looked at the giant after his girlfriend spooked him out by saying the Giant can smash someone into the ground like a nail.

When the kids were throwing shit at the bastard for being a Crow.

When the Bastard child bowed down to the wrong guy and called him grace.

:/
#91  April 03, 2013, 03:42:41 pm
    • France
#92  April 03, 2013, 05:30:29 pm
    • Thailand
Hahaha! Those are generally always funny. I saw one with Barack Obama and Bin Laden. Someone should do one for Walking Dead or Dexter. =p

GDM

#93  April 04, 2013, 02:25:44 am
  • I'm not trolling
man the facebook comments had me rolling
#94  April 22, 2013, 10:37:29 pm
    • Thailand
Is there anyone who watches this who does NOT absolutely freaking love Daenerys?
#95  April 22, 2013, 11:05:45 pm
    • France
Yeah, that's the moment in the books where everybody reading the series falls in love with her.

"Holy shit, she's not dumb, she's a fucking genius !!! :heart: :love:"
#96  April 23, 2013, 09:53:39 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
Is there anyone who watches this who does NOT absolutely freaking love Daenerys?

*raises hand*

I find her to be an annoying child.  Slaves this, throne that, set on a path where her ultimate goal is to retake a throne for no other reason than "I used to live there".

I don't have her, though.  Other than being partially blinded by her pointless quest, she's an okay kid.  I just don't like her either.

GDM

#97  April 23, 2013, 10:21:23 pm
  • I'm not trolling
arya stark is better
#98  April 23, 2013, 10:33:25 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide

*raises hand*

I find her to be an annoying child.  Slaves this, throne that, set on a path where her ultimate goal is to retake a throne for no other reason than "I used to live there".

I don't have her, though.  Other than being partially blinded by her pointless quest, she's an okay kid.  I just don't like her either.

I don't think you understand her though. She's awesome imo, and she's setting herself to be a great leader. She's grown a lot as a character and I've loved every moment of it tbh.
How is her quest pointless? It's her birthright. It was taken from her family and now there's a little twat as king. I'd be wanting to take back whats mine as well.
#99  April 24, 2013, 10:22:32 pm
    • Thailand
Yeah, she hasn't done anything annoying. She has showed that she's a strong women, even in a time when women mean absolutely nothing more than contract between kingdoms or city-states or whatever.

She hasn't displayed any annoying child tendencies and she showed that she has respect for everyone, no matter who or what they are or where they came from. And at the same time, she showed that she's willing to do what is necessary to get rid of those people who are villains and take advantage of others. Although that may be a weakness, considering the incident with that demon child, but nevertheless -- annoying doesn't really fit into her character. I can't see how anyone could come to that conclusion, but I guess if that's what you think, then that's that. =(
#100  April 25, 2013, 01:21:39 am
    • Poland
The thing is that some people may be influenced too much about her portrayal in the books. Emilia Clarke is doing awesome job and he grown as awesome actress. Scene from last episode shows that clearly. I think whole thing was shown perfectly in the show. But I don't think it;''s suprising. It was obviouis to me that Dany knows Valyrian language because writers shown seller guy as rude person on purpose (same thing was done in the book). He often called her as "whore" and was disrespectfull. It was clear to me that Dany knew every word he was saying but kept cold blood because she needed an army.

But problem with Dany is that she got really annoying later in the books

Because of all that chapters about Dany were considered boring & kinda hard to read. Not much happened in them. No wonder that some people dislike her.

Back to the show I think 3rd season is way better than badly done season 2. It feel much closer to the books & changes are reasonable this time. Whole plot about Theon suprised me very much (book readers know why) but I guess it's good.
The main problem in narrating style. It worked very well in the books but in  the show it's makes it confusing for people who don't know the books and it makes annoying for all viewers. Characters often get one short scene per episode and shifting is too much random. It not about characters alone but locations too. We move between them fast and sometimes it's not that smooth....

It would be so much better is writers would pick 2-3 characters per episode & follow their plot simunatenously. Having like 4-6 chars per episode is too much. You get many characters each episode but you are often dissapointed because each plots are too short and they end up before they can even start.... Having that many characters gives much variety in each episode but in the end no one is truly satisified. At least thats how I feel. And it will be worse because each season new characters will show up so there will be even more shifting and absences in some episodes (some characters already don''t show in every episode).

But it's great show anyway, just not the greastest one contrary to popular believe.

#101  April 25, 2013, 01:24:50 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
It's entirely possible I'm missing something about her.  I've never touched the books, just the show.  I disliked her in the first season.  I found her to be an easily manipulated weakling with misplaced affection and loyalties - she just got lucky that Drogo was benevolent and legitimately cared for her.

She didn't get tolerable until after Drogo died.  She'd fooled herself so much into loving Drogo that his death hardened her up (she was young, impressionable, and pregnant - there's no way she was really in love with Drogo, it was all puppy love and hormones).  At that point all that mattered was the fact she had power (if only a little), and independence, and damnit, she was going to use that power to protect people and, most importantly of all, to go back to a home she barely remembers for no real reason beyond it's what her brother had driven into her head.

Now she thinks she's freed a bunch of brainwashed slaves who don't know the meaning of freedom.  I don't think she understands what they went through at all if she really thinks they'd up and join her at the words "You're free now, now will you follow me?"  Of course they'll follow you, they're loyal to you, you bought them you idiot.  They're doing exactly what you were told they'd do - follow your every order to the letter.

I mean, what she did was great and all, and I'm interested in seeing where she goes from here, but I'm not a big fan of her specifically.  Rather, I want to know what role she plays in the overall story.

Again, I'm probably missing a lot from not reading the books.  This is the impression given to me, my interpretation, from the show.
#102  April 25, 2013, 02:59:24 am
    • France
Well, the series of books is not called "Game of Thrones", but "A Song of Fire and Ice". It hasn't come to this point yet in the books, but it's kinda obvious/logical that the story in the end will be about

Also, yeah :

#103  April 25, 2013, 02:41:23 pm
    • Poland
Well, the series of books is not called "Game of Thrones", but "A Song of Fire and Ice". It hasn't come to this point yet in the books, but it's kinda obvious/logical that the story in the end will be about

Now when you put it that way it's logical indeed.

Anyway one of the things important in books is past. Martin show many past stuff in characters memories, but in the show it's not possible, because there is no flashbacks at all. I recall that he even mentioned that key to future events in the books lay in the past of Westeros. It's shame that show incorporated on fracture of past stuff. I understand why they had to do it this way but I'm curious how they handle it later when there will be more fantast stuff involed... Maybe in distant future they will make some prequel about Robert's rebelion ? That would be awesome.... Or prequel about Dunk & Egg.

I'm curious about Rhlor. His worshippers seems to have real powers, opposite to other religions where there is none. He is lord of light & fire so maybe he may have some connection to the dragons ?

#104  June 03, 2013, 10:48:22 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
OMG. Episode 9 was great, but wow I didn't expect that to happen. The starks can never catch a break :/ finale next sunday, which to me feels earlier than I thought it would be, but shit, what a way to end this season. O_O
#105  June 04, 2013, 01:47:58 am
    • Poland
Yeah bomb went down finally :D. But it's not over yet

Anyway whole episode was decent. Of course books showed it way better. But still props to filmakers for pregnancy & name thing. It make whole thing way more dramatic even for book reader like me.

It's sad they failed to make robb more sympathethic. They changed Theon story and it made it better, made sense even, but in Robb case it's not. They never showed any of his battles, or leadership skills like it was in the books, they expanded romance thing instead. I guess it was because of the money.

Some fun facts for non-readers:
In the show Robb married his wife because he fall in love with her right ? In the book it was quite different. Her character was very different too. She was called Jeyne Westerling & her family was Lannisters ally. When Robb found out about Rickon & Bran's deaths he kinda broke down and Jeyne was the one who comfort him & accompanied him in that night. He took her virginity and because he thought it was not honorable, he decided to marry her to fix that. She wasn't pregnant too. She drank some tea that was used to prevent pregnancy. I think lack of pregnancy was the reason that she was left alive. I don't think she go to the wedding. IIRC Robb left her because he didn't want offend Lord Frey more. Because of her family allies (Lannisters) & other things there are theories that she was part of conspiracy. Heck some people even say that SHE seduced Robb  and she gave him love potion LOL.

It sounds bit crazy but it explains why she didn't get pregant with him. If she was indded part of conspiracy, then it' no wonder why she use some [rotection against pregnancy.

All of that was left out/cut out from the show, which was shame. Rob decision of marrying her in the books made him looks way bettter than it did in TV show. In the show it was all look like he choose love over winning the war, which wasn't exactly the case. 

#106  June 04, 2013, 08:52:33 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I think you need to start putting spoilers even for the books. some people might want to read them later and you give away A LOT.
#107  July 17, 2017, 06:47:08 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
Season 7 bitches first Episode titled "Dragonstone"
mod edit: added spoiler tags
Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:51:16 am by Jmorphman
#108  July 17, 2017, 06:51:42 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
HoHo, you need to start using spoiler tags.
#109  July 17, 2017, 07:47:20 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
I shouldn't need to use spoiler tags though hours after the show or days after as well.   Put spoilers inside within the title and you can fix that honestly.
#110  July 17, 2017, 08:01:40 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Some of us like to browse recent posts and don't appreciate being spoiled on something because someone feels they shouldn't take a little bit of extra effort.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#111  July 18, 2017, 01:58:17 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
No I don't mind it at all, but I don't go into threads like that knowing their could be spoilers inside. I would say TV talk is fair game and I'll keep doing it or just not really post in here[thinks for a moment how this section was dead till he arrived and now the section is buzzing lol]but things not shown on the show like Book talk should be tagged up. What if people wanted to live discuss it weekly, which could be fun that would scrap all of that.
#112  July 18, 2017, 02:31:57 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Oh, perhaps I was too vague.

I like to browse Recent Posts to get a general idea of what's going on, and I don't appreciate being spoiled on something just because I am. Not everybody is able to watch a show on the same day, so if you don't want to punch that nuke symbol to cover up your episode recaps then don't post them. I haven't really made a fuss on your anime recaps because I don't think anyone of us regulars in the topic care all that much, but now I must insist.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#113  July 18, 2017, 03:27:26 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Putting stuff in spoiler tags really isn't some huge burden, nor does it disrupt the flow of conversations/threads at all. Just look at the MCU thread, or countless other ones in this section!
#114  July 25, 2017, 09:38:32 pm
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA