YesNoOk

Removing Quick Rise? (Read 3871 times)

Started by Tyadran, September 16, 2017, 10:52:08 pm
Share this topic:
Removing Quick Rise?
#1  September 16, 2017, 10:52:08 pm
    • USA
Since I already have a combo breaker/burst system in my full-game project, I'm trying to remove a number of the default recovery options. A number of characters rely heavily on OTG for combo extension, and MUGEN's default mechanics (ground teching, air teching, quick rise) cause the game not to function as I intend.

I've already managed to remove teching, but I'm still having trouble getting rid of quick rise. It seems to be that pressing C when lying down causes you to get up immediately due to the default system, but correct me if I'm wrong. This causes problems not only with the combo system, but with the fact most throws end with the thrown character being able to quick rise before the throwing character's animation is complete, making the throw disadvantageous (the character jumps up and throws the other character to the ground, then lands...only to eat a combo from the thrown character).

Is there a simple way to remove this? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Tya
Re: Removing Quick Rise?
#2  September 17, 2017, 09:31:50 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
For the throws, you can make custom states. As for the rest, you'll probably need to find out the "5000" states you need to adjust.
Are you using a common.cns file for the full game? You may want to make a test common.cns, edit it until you get it the way you want, then make it the default for all your characters.
More than likely you'll just need a trigger like

[State 5080, 5]
type = ChangeState
triggerall = time >= 20 ;or how ever long you want.

You could also set up a "global" variable for all of your characters to use. You could have a few characters get up a few tics faster than others by switching the 20 with var(20) or what ever var you use.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  September 17, 2017, 10:31:49 am
    • USA
While your explanation makes perfect sense, it turns out to work somewhat oddly.
I looked through common.cns more closely and saw that State 5120 is the get-up state, and the only reference to it outside of itself is at the top of the file, where it says
Code:
; Hit_liedown (5110): player changes to get-up state (5120) when ready
; Hit_getup (5120): player's defence is restored to normal at time = 0

However, 5110 is missing any explicit ChangeState sctrls except for if the character is dead, and adding an explicit change to 5120 using a time-based trigger seems to have no effect. This implies to me that the state change is handled internally by MUGEN and cannot be modified, as far as I can tell.

This seems to be confirmed by the fact that changing State 5110's ID to 5111 and correcting all references to it causes it to function as desired, only using the explicitly defined time-based ChangeState I added.

In any case, it's working now. Thanks for pointing me to go look at common.cns again. Even though it's not meant to work with any other characters, I'm still nervous to poke at it a lot of the time, haha.

Solved.
#4  September 17, 2017, 10:47:22 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Hardcoded BS that mugen has.

Add a changestate to 5110 sending you to a completely different state, like say 5119 which is a copy past of state 5110. Should avoid mugens hardcoding that way. Pretty sure it only kicks in when you're in 5110. Otherwise key presses would break you out of other liedown states which would be silly.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  September 17, 2017, 10:49:03 am
    • USA
I mean I'm fine with just cutting out 5110 altogether and making it an identical state 5111. I don't think there's really a point to keeping 5110 if I'm just going to redirect immediately to another state.
#6  September 17, 2017, 11:50:18 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Hardcoded stuff you may not see like the liedown hitstates + character compatibility. It's a required state, you may not ever actually use it, but it needs to be there so anything else that references it has access, even if the result is your character leaves it straight away.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  September 17, 2017, 11:52:20 am
    • USA
I don't care about character compatibility, but I guess I'll set it up that way just in case there could be any hardcoded issues.