YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 557395 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Re: Does anybody like Doctor Who????
#41  November 21, 2013, 01:59:32 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Yeah, that movie's kind of a mixed bag.  Then again, it is an American-produced, mid-budget, mid-'90s TV movie.  You get what you pay for, you know?  Supposedly he did some great work in the audio dramas, but I haven't listened to any of those.
#42  November 21, 2013, 02:37:32 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
Yeah the movie was his first time playing the Doctor IIRC and he's had nothing but practice since what with the audio dramas.  It's not all that surprising that for the brief moment he gets to reprise the role in front of cameras he'd be fantastic at it.  He already had his Doctor nailed down.
#43  November 21, 2013, 05:52:15 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#44  November 22, 2013, 02:35:48 pm
    • Chile

Finally I saw the movie of the Eight Doctor... and I say I like it!! I mean, it's not a masterpiece but it's fun anyway and I confirm that McGann it's great as the Doctor. For those ones who doesn't know about Doctor Who, this movie can introduce you well to the series, since there explains various things about DW (like what's the TARDIS, Gallifrey and some other things).

But for those ones who already know about DW, this movie has a lot of references to past Doctors. I'll tell you on the spoiler just in case you don't see the movie:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#45  November 23, 2013, 06:07:04 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
While I've never heard of Dr. Who until three months ago, let me say that I have become a fan quickly.

I saw merch at my local FYE in the mall. I also caught a few scenes thanks to BBC America. I then started talking to my friends about it, who are equally nerdy as I am. I then started viewing more. And I love it. I'm also not one to watch a lot of television.

I just watched the Waters of Mars and the final episode with the 10th doctor just a few days ago (Thanks to the Dr. Who marathon this past week) and I really like it. The 10th Dr. is my favorite, and I love the Cybermen, the Daleks and those Rhinoceros looking things (I saw part of the episode where that vampire woman was in the hospital on a moon and those creatures were tagging everyone with futuristic sharpie markers).

The show is great. I intend to see a lot more. I'm also on the fence about going to see the 50th anniversary special at my local theatre. I'll getback to you guys on that,
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#46  November 23, 2013, 10:09:43 pm
The airing of the movie just ended right now here.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:13:36 pm by DKDC
#47  November 23, 2013, 10:15:39 pm
    • USA
Matt Smith checks out in the Christmas special.  This was his penultimate appearance.

But still.  Ho.  Lee.  Shit.  O_O

#48  November 23, 2013, 10:20:43 pm
Ah, the Christmas special, okay.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:34:10 pm by DKDC
#49  November 23, 2013, 10:52:02 pm
    • USA
Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:00:45 pm by Person Man
#50  November 25, 2013, 07:12:56 pm
    • Chile
Well, I couldn't see The Day of the Doctor (all tickets were sold quickly)... but I saw the documentary movie "An Adventure in Space and Time", the movie that shows you how Doctor Who was born. And with David Bradley (Argus Filch in Harry Potter series) as William Hartnell, the First Doctor. As a fan of the First Doctor, I say I learned a lot of this movie and even this got me off a couple of tears. Totally recommendable, here's the trailer:

#51  November 26, 2013, 03:17:23 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
^That was amazing. I legitimately cried during it.

Also, Day of the Doctor was FUCKING AMAZING OH MY GOD
#52  November 26, 2013, 03:43:38 pm
I'm reading reviews here and there about the Day movie complaining that
By the way, the "Five-ish Doctors" mockumentary is cool and nice for those who wanted the classic Doctors to show up (beside Tom Baker). It makes it very clear it would have been dumb to throw them in just for fanservice, while still actually giving us a nice run with them.
#53  November 26, 2013, 10:18:25 pm
    • USA
And just in case you thought you could relax now that Day of the Doctor is out:

First teaser for the Christmas special, and Matt Smith's final episode, The Time of The Doctor.
#54  November 26, 2013, 10:40:16 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org

#55  November 27, 2013, 03:10:21 am
Yeah, I know, I was saying I expected a big twist to fit with the extra regeneration (the 13th Doctors). I thought that the solution to that enigma was to change history with the result of changing the Doctor. But that didn't happen, so yeah, of course it'll be Smith.
#56  December 10, 2013, 04:52:21 pm
    • Chile

#57  December 10, 2013, 09:08:53 pm
    • USA
"13th Doctor" is more of a sticky bit of semantics, I think.  With the introduction of the War Doctor, that makes him the 12th distinct incarnation of the same timelord.    Of those twelve, he's the eleventh who used the name Doctor, which makes him the 11th 'Doctor.'   And now assuming that 10's aborted regeneration in Journey's End actually did use one full regeneration (which I had honestly completely forgotten about until now) that means that the Doctor has been through 12 full regenerations and has none left.  So it's the 11th Doctor, his 12th incarnation, who's on his 13th and final life.

Or rather, final until we figure out how he circumvents the whole damn thing to regenerate into Capaldi.
#58  December 10, 2013, 09:27:39 pm
    • Chile
I think it won't be his "final life" as all could think. I mean, the Master already broke that rule: in 1996 movie (about the Eight Doctor) he was in his last regeneration and finally died when he falled to the Eye of Harmony (the heart of the TARDIS as it revealed in the movie). And then he's back in the 2005 reboot in an episode of Tenth Doctor, and later regenerated in the form of Harold Saxon.

So... if the Master could pass over the "regeneration rule", why not the Doctor??

Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:26:28 pm by Basara "Jojo" Pilgrim
#59  December 10, 2013, 10:13:56 pm
They're just claiming the Master didn't die, whatever happened (which we don't understand because Time Lords science) only got him stranded at the end of time where he locked his memory in that watch thing for some reason. So he just has one regeneration in Utopia that isn't explained. And the way I see it, wasn't the movie just glossing over the Master's regenerations ? Just to say "this is the very last you'll see of him, the end of the big bad, so let's just say it's his last life and roll with it" without explaining anything, or even without giving us proof that it was his last regeneration in the first place. And he was trying to steal those of the Doctor too, so there's shenanigans involved.
I'm saying retcon deception on this, the Master didn't break the rule, they just decided to change what the movie claimed and it simply wasn't his last life.

Oh, and yeah of course it's not the Doctor's final life, we've had it coming for a while, we knew they wanted to break past the 12 regenerations limit, so they did (and they're calling it his last life to build it up). Let's just wait to see how.

Oh, by the way, the Night of the Doctor short showed us the express regeneration potion, but we don't know what that would do if the final regeneration of someone tried to drink one. No idea if they'll explore that or if they'll just forget it as the tool they used to introduce the War Doctor and then left in a corner.
Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:21:05 pm by DKDC
#60  December 10, 2013, 10:28:09 pm
    • USA
They've always pretty much just made up the rules as they went along.  It wasn't even called regeneration until the end of the 3rd doctor's run, and the 'only 12' rule didn't show up until most of the way through the 5th's.  Then there's the 8 trillion ways they've had the Master skirt the rules over the years.  It's not really that surprising that they'd come up with some kind of loophole for the Doctor to get away with it once they reached his limit.