YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1522182 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2281  September 24, 2018, 03:39:41 pm
    • Mexico
Gotta say, I know the manga is usually better at handling the story arcs than the anime, but I think the anime has done a much better job with the Tournament of Power so far. I mean, what even is manga TOP anymore? Toyotaro seems so keen on rushing everything and throwing everybody out the window in 5 seconds while giving them the idiot ball. The anime, while I still think did kind of rush a few things, at least gave the limelight to people and kept them around longer, not to mention the personalities (like say Toppo, who is pretty much emotionless in the manga compare de to his anime, also what the hell was that elimination from this new chapter anyway?). I can already tell I’m in for more disappointment. Hopefully the next arc is leagues better than this one.

#2282  September 24, 2018, 05:42:23 pm
It's giving the character time to Jiren instead of Toppo. It's showing you how much of a dick Jiren is, while having all the good guys demonstrate their teamwork in front of Jiren, probably because it'll make him snap in his comparison of "solo vs teamwork and sacrifice" attitudes.
Jiren in the anime had nothing until the last minute and Toppo wasn't really that interesting either, beside being a candidate for the next GoD.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2283  September 24, 2018, 05:57:18 pm
    • Mexico
I can respect that, but the manga’s incredibly fast pace kinda makes it all lack impact and be ineffective. For as imperfect as the anime was, it at least delivered upon those fronts during the TOP.

Not to mention having Kale get that amount of focus and dominate for so much only to suddenly get booted almost off-screen with Gohan was very, very poorly done. The pace is fine at times times but then suddenly it shifts into overdrive and it’s very bad. I don’t feel any excitement for this arc anymore and I could care less for whatever’s stakes are left. I hope I’m not alone in feeling this.
#2284  September 24, 2018, 06:50:10 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Nah, this version of the Tournament of Power is sucking all the enjoyment out of it as quickly as it introduces something new.  I was hoping the manga was going to review what the anime did good and what it did bad and improve on the later while enforcing the former, but it's just trying now to get par next to it just with different circumstances.

Odd that they gave Vegeta his new Evolution form, or Royal Blue or whatever it's called now, but didn't give the different eyes like in the anime.  I suppose it's because with Vegeta's unchanging hair between forms it would be mistaken for Red form when the pages are in black and white, but still, things are inconsistent enough.
#2285  September 24, 2018, 08:20:20 pm
Yeah, the manga is going through the tournament like a wrecking ball. It was actually nice of the anime to give the spotlight to everyone, because dragging it out is what they do, but I did appreciate the tiny details the manga gave, actually saying things out loud - Vegeta's speech, Roshi's lesson, Jiren's personality is starting to show, Kale officially being the LSSJ from U6... And The Broly rampage was rather funny, although it took out most of everyone.
It just feels like there's an actual writer who's building a world, whereas the anime just has animators who fill up space and time but only follow the bullet points of the story and don't put out much relevant text. If the anime had bothered connecting the LSSJ dots with Kale (it's not like the movie wasn't already planned), the Broly movie would have been instantly understood as the next logical step, and people wouldn't have wasted as much time wondering what sense it made.

On the other hand, we lost a bunch of nice personal scenes, like Team Earthlings actually fighting (Krillin WTF !!!!), Kefla's entire thing and Toppo's GoD position (although I wasn't much of a fan of how the anime made him seem still so far beyond SSBlue, it should have been a way to actually compare Blue to an actual GoD, rather than being an excuse for flashy explosions).

edit - oh hang on... the previous manga chapter did have Toppo mention he's a GoD candidate. But then it skipped him getting the power of destruction entirely, and his defeat makes him look ultra lame now, WTF :( (that being said, Champa's erasure had a whole bunch of emotional build up in just a few pages, not bad)
Also I just remembered the anime had Vegeta try to force his body to use Ultra Instinct and just not moving and getting beat up for nothing and then getting vexed about it. That was hilarious.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:16:41 pm by Byakko
#2286  October 04, 2018, 09:28:48 pm
    • Germany

Soooo I don't get some of the character redesigns here, Freezer looks realy odd, and I know that they are using the Bardock design from the Dragon Ball Minus Manga, but it is still odd because everyone only knows him in his old design that have been used for years now, and was even used in the Original DBZ Manga, even if it was just for one panel.

Seems like a lot of other things about planet vegeta and it's destruction get's retconned with this movie. ö.ö
#2287  October 04, 2018, 09:59:47 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I have a weird answer. technically not, since in this continuity the bardock movie and stuff don't exist, just like the broli movies. which is weird because this is a movie too, so saying that this movie does not exist in the movie continuity but in the tv series one is weird, especially because chances arehigh this movie will get remade as tv series episodes.
#2288  October 05, 2018, 12:34:24 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Something that I only now realize thanks to that thumbnail; what is the practical point of a skirt made of Saiyan armor?  Also, isn't it supposed to change shape and mold to the user, expanding and shrinking in size, etc.?

Naked armor-less Frieza I would get a lot more if Cold wasn't there already in their signature armor.  If it was just Frieza, I would get it as him not having clothes is just natural, compliments his whole deal of being a literal alien and thus alien-like.  It becomes strange on their part though when it ends up being daddy's dropping off his naked child to take over the planet though.

I hope they intend for a larger age gap than what's implied here between Goku and Vegeta?  Unless this movie also retcons Goku's time on Planet Vegeta to be quite a big longer than originally intended.  Which could cause some further retcons needed for Grandpa Gohan and OG Dragon Ball, but we'll see, no need to jump to conclusions.
#2289  October 05, 2018, 12:37:09 am
I figured it was when King Cold was the ruler of the empire and then Freeza showed off his dick power and officially took the throne, you know, something like that. Like his passing rite before being entrusted with the empire. Coola doesn't wear any sort of cloth or armor either, because he doesn't actually have any official imperial role. In the first place, obviously Freeza only wore that armor as a ceremonial stuff, to look more regal and official.

And yeah, I thought it was always admitted that Vegeta was like 5 years older than Goku, but was it all because of the Bardock movie that everyone assumed that ? But Goku being older was already known since Minus. I think he was 3 ? And I don't remember if the manga actually ever showed Grandpa Gohan taking in Goku as a baby, that was from the movie too, we just had the backstory that Goku hit his head early on, and even that was only when Raditz showed up. I don't remember any serious flashback in OG Dragon Ball (maybe in the anime only but who cares about that).

As for the armor skirt... well it still might stretch when the user grows to giant size, it just becomes more skin-tight.
Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:03:07 am by Byakko

lui

#2290  October 05, 2018, 12:43:38 am
    • USA
the manga also has a flashback of special bardock, all bloodied up as freeza describes his standoff from the special with him so almost everyone accepted the special as canon for the most part so this reaaaaaaaaally mucks things up even more lol
#2291  October 05, 2018, 12:52:10 am
Yeah, there was that, because Toriyama admitted that he actually liked that movie and that Bardock. But it didn't say anything about the future vision and what got Bardock there, just that he stood against Freeza and died. IMO that was completely expected ever since Toriyama made Minus, which straight up told us Goku was 3. Everyone still figured that all the other details shifted around to match the movie, but considering how unexpected Minus was, it was always a very real possibility that Toriyama would one day fix all that out of nowhere just like how he suddenly came up with Minus.

The only thing that really changes from what actually appeared in the manga is Bardock's armor and bandana, and we can just chalk it up to the general redesign of everyone. But the bandana is a big part of what made Bardock so beloved ; since the part on planet Vegeta is supposed to last 20~30 minutes at the start of the movie (they said it would be emotional for that long at the start), maybe we'll still get a short version of all that with the bandana and the rebellion, only without the future vision.

edit -
oh, in that trailer, when the Saiyans are kneeling, Cold is telling them "you can just stay under Freeza's orders from now on" and Freeza is going all "nice to meet you" (not in a nice way, in his usual pretend polite tyrant way), so yeah, it looks like it's when Freeza is officially taking over.
And the written text says "3 Saiyans born at the same time" (well, not exactly at the same time, but it's saying all three of them are the same age)
Also BTW Paragus is saying "you want to exile my son Broly ? Well then I'll raise him as the strongest warrior and have my revenge !" then Bardock says Freeza is plotting some bad shit.
oh wait it has subtitles available, you can see that.
Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:07:47 am by Byakko

lui

#2292  October 05, 2018, 01:06:19 am
    • USA
Freeza was shown in the trailer destroying planet vegeta without any Bardock standoff too so that's confusing.

Ah well, as much as I can reluctantly accept minus being the new status quo, what I hate is how they utterly gutted Bardock's character who in the original special is the most atypical, opposite protag DB has had. he's a bad person, a stone cold killer, someone who doesn't ever apologize for the number of people killed and races he's likely destroyed under freeza's rule, he was an interesting character.

i just really hope they dont retroactively keep him alive so they can bring him back, he works much better being a example for the saiyan legacy being destroyed by freeza.
#2293  October 05, 2018, 01:14:07 am
Yeah, but Bardock knows Freeza has bad intentions. At this point I'm fully expecting the movie to still have him pull a rebellion stint and get killed by that attack the same way as the movie.
They recently said the first 20~30 minutes of the movie would be emotional so I still expect Bardock to die. I wouldn't mind if they brought him back afterward considering the card games and everything after that decided that Bardock was too cool to stay dead anyway, so it can't be worse than it already is, but if they dare to do that, I hope they also keep Broly alive. I know it would be weird but it just really upsets me to think they might bring him back for a movie, admitting that he's cool and everyone loves him and they can't do any new game without him, only to kill him off AGAIN. I mean, Bardock is in a similar position now, but it took a long time for him to get there, and his death is kind of a prerequisite to the entire series so any cop out would just be a massive asspull like the time travel movie, and making a movie about Broly would be an acceptable excuse to rewrite his end...
(in short, reviving Bardock would still be an asspull but I don't think they're too good for that, and at least I think they will still make his character look good just like the original movie)

Oh, yeah, King Vegeta doesn't look too bad. Until now he was just "Vegeta with a goatee" for how little we ever saw of him anywhere, but they actually changed his face a bit. And so many new designs for Saiyan characters ! I like how they're just going full out on giving us the actual life of the Saiyan race before their (not) extinction.
Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:23:36 am by Byakko
#2294  October 05, 2018, 11:09:59 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
That was a cool trailer. I always thought that Vegeta had a 4 or 5 year age gap over Goku but it seems like that's been changed (or it was just Toei's choice (once again young Vegeta has the widows peak hair when young))

I like how they used the old Paragus design for when all the main characters are young.
#2295  November 08, 2018, 07:56:41 pm
New trailer
More 3D, looks like we're gonna get it through most of the movie, it's still very noticeable, but it looks a bit less jarring this time around, I guess, did they polish it a bit ?
The song is cool.
Last time I was actually thinking that the US dub had a better screamer for Broly than the Japanese voice, but this one works.
The "uncontrollable impulse to fight" with a Broly who's "not fighting just because he wants to fight" might work out to fix him, it's a step up and might be more interesting if done decently enough.

For small specific stuff that you have to dig up, sure, but for big news that you've probably already seen blasted everywhere before you get to this post, I don't really bother. (in fact I'm surprised by how much publicity this is getting, everyone's following it closely)
||
V
Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:58:24 pm by Byakko
#2296  November 08, 2018, 08:46:30 pm
Thanks for showing the trailer.

Edit for the edit:
It doesn't matter, if you talk about it and there's a video, show it.
Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:23:34 pm by AlexSin
#2297  November 12, 2018, 06:19:32 pm
#2298  November 15, 2018, 02:25:08 pm
Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:29:35 pm by Byakko
#2299  November 15, 2018, 11:53:12 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Frieza's wish tho.
#2300  November 17, 2018, 03:57:02 pm
Update on the manga : apparently the next chapter will skip the Broly movie for an arc called galactic patrol prisoner ? At least the anime can start again soon without worrying of leaving the manga in the dust again.