• Panama
The silly ideas or combinations in that palette :P just call it Mocassin
Chilling
Re: Paint Shop
#23  December 14, 2011, 05:30:31 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
I see.

And Orochi hair dye.

I had another done, but comparing it to what I previously did, didn't quite hold up and was discarded.
#24  December 14, 2011, 07:15:32 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Chilling

DTK

#25  December 29, 2011, 03:40:07 am
leona with a new outfit
#26  December 31, 2011, 06:03:41 am
    • USA
I'll steal the best shit from this thread for my own game, just saying :V
#27  March 06, 2012, 09:27:24 am
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Woah nice edits here
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#28  May 31, 2012, 07:01:09 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Looking back, I'm not particularly proud of some of the work I did on Mai.  She deserves better and I still owe Leona some colors.  I think since you've resumed work on the game I'll do proper sets for them.....and Vanessa too since Rednavi already did the separation, not sure if you plan on including her in the game or not.
#29  June 11, 2012, 12:00:30 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
This post will cover colour separation and my reasoning behind doing so. Yes I always separate for good reason. The project I've been working on since....can't remember should be revealed soon. Anyway.

Let's take a newer(ish) sprite which has a few limitations:

Now lets look at the palettes that the character has in game so we can make note of the limitations

Because of the use of the darkest colour (0,0,0) on several parts of the sprite, creating a palette with a light coloured top is inadvisable. Why?

That's why.

So this is where separation is helpful. As I'm sure you know, you can separate colours which will allow you to make palettes that were not possible before.

Simply by separating the hair (and for good measure, the frames of the shades) you can create a nice looking palette.

When you've got a template like this, you can start to ask, "what is worth separating?" In this situation, I would go on to separate her eyes (both the pupils and giving colour to her irises) the eyes on the frog on her shirt, her gloves, the frames of her shades, the belt (or at least the Taegeuk) and her shoes.

If you really wanted to go extra, you could separate the stripes on her pants the trims on her gloves and shirt.

Why am I rambling? Because I wanted to know what you think of colour separation in sprites. For the most part, I think that it's only worth it if the palettes that are made are good. Lets face it, when everything is separated, people will try to go too far with their palette making and end up making something familiar to the bad example I showed (ie, taking away the "look" of the sprite). I'm quite interested to hear what others think. If there are enough responses, I can explain in detail how I do colour separation. 
#30  June 11, 2012, 04:48:10 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
If it's just separating the colors from body parts and clothes, then cool. That way it doesn't get exagerated.
#31  June 11, 2012, 04:54:59 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
KOF sprites usually just need the very basic of separation because SNK likes to make weird shit share, especially with with the darkest shades on the sprites.
#32  November 09, 2012, 07:02:20 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I BETRAYED THE LAW

Palettes please. :)
#33  November 09, 2012, 10:43:57 pm
  • The life of a dish is not an easy one.
    • USA
    • mugenplate.webs.com/
Before all the really great ones get posted, here are two badly made ones from me:

Stuff
#34  November 09, 2012, 11:48:01 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
KOF sprites usually just need the very basic of separation because SNK likes to make weird shit share, especially with with the darkest shades on the sprites.

IsnĀ“t worse than some CPS2 sprites at least. Ugh, just thinking on Birdie or Balrog. But indeed both companies have some bad color distribution in very few spritesets at least.

Will paint something this night
Chilling
#35  November 10, 2012, 03:04:35 am

#36  November 10, 2012, 05:36:11 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama

Chilling
Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:53:08 am by Goodaldo
#37  November 10, 2012, 05:45:10 am
Second pal looks similar to my second scheme mate, only with washed yellow.  Just pointing out.

We had the same thought or something? lol
#38  November 10, 2012, 05:54:20 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
^ If you were thinking in dark skinned and a light color then yes :P as I see, coincidences, good coincidences :P

Another one:
Chilling
Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:49:43 am by Goodaldo
#39  November 12, 2012, 02:43:43 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Nice palettes guys, I'll be posting another sheet later. Until then,

This effect seems really washed out in my opinion. Could someone make an improvement on it to use as the default colours (Pink or Purple or Crimson I guess)?
#40  November 12, 2012, 05:15:01 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Pink is a must you should use here
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way