YesNoOk

reading material to get better...? (Read 1397 times)

Started by LurkMoar, February 07, 2013, 07:45:32 am
Share this topic:
reading material to get better...?
#1  February 07, 2013, 07:45:32 am
  • Fighting is my nature.
    • i_am_shakespeare@hotmail.co.uk
recently, i've been interested in fighting game reading material that improves a player's grasp on fighting. things like domination 101, maj's footsies handbook and the sonic hurricane strategy articles. i'm looking for stuff like that to fill the time i have when i'm not playing (which is a LARGE period of time. almost 6 days a week). anything is welcome.
"Improvise. adapt. overcome."
Re: reading material to get better...?
#2  February 07, 2013, 05:06:51 pm
  • SNK is life
I actually improved a little bit by watching The Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross in youtube

Gootecks even created a small guide on how to improve your game. Mentionend in the link below
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/sep/27/ssf4-cross-counter-guide-beating-your-friends/

Getting familiar with each character's "Bread and Butter" combos help. Understand the Footsie game, and why it's relevant to your life. Sometimes you have to play to win, which means you need to strive to style less, and be more effective in damage.

Also, try to understand how the game is meant to be played. I never liked MVC2 or 3 until I finally I didn't understand it. It took me time to realize I wasn't playing 3 characters like KOF, but with 3 SIMULTANEOUS characters, and how their assists are key to strategizing. The eye-opening turning point for me to understand that was when Gootecks and Mike Ross lost an SFxT invitational - They realized they were playing it like Street Fighter 4 in turns, instead of how they got their asses handed to them by teams that were managing meter in synergy to do Tag Cancel combos.

READ MORE, FOOL! ;D
#3  February 07, 2013, 07:50:12 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
the link to the article is down. :/
#4  February 07, 2013, 07:54:44 pm
  • Shakespear.
#5  February 08, 2013, 03:28:28 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
i actually read that a long time ago. thanks for the effort, but i'm looking for stuff like articles to read.
#6  February 10, 2013, 04:05:20 am
interesting and I thought you got better by playing not reading but this seems like an interesting approach

Monkey D. Luffy W.I.P Thanks to C.R.O.M Lando
#7  February 13, 2013, 04:25:55 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
well, there is a lot to fighting games than what we can discover by ourselves. for example, it's almost impossible for a casual player who wants to be a serious one to learn footsies in a combo-and-setup-heavy game like AE by just "playing the game".
#8  February 13, 2013, 08:11:31 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Well there's always a certain degree of learning you can get from just playing it a lot, but like you said, if you want to play with the "big boys" it's better to look up frame data, hitboxes if possible, and combo setups.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#9  February 13, 2013, 10:58:46 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
of course frame data and set-ups are 100% useful, but that's not what i meant by reading material.
#10  March 02, 2013, 05:03:17 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#11  March 14, 2013, 01:53:13 pm
  • Fighting is my nature.
it actually was.
i read david sirlin's "playing to win". he talks about "the art of war" a lot. i'm gonna read that as well.