YesNoOk

Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out) (Read 2852667 times)

Started by Iced, July 15, 2012, 03:54:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out)
#3781  August 07, 2019, 05:23:53 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Finally. A cosmic deity. Just gonna take a few more years though. I just hope they drop the Abraxxas nonsense.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#3782  August 21, 2019, 12:33:50 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#3783  August 21, 2019, 01:44:45 am
Wow. So Spider Man 3 will explode and Marvel just lost a good shot at a Young Avengers team.
(I mean, spider Man 3 might make money, but in the same way that Venom somehow made money despite being so weird and entirely thanks to China, and the story will likely take a massive dip)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:51:30 am by Byakko
#3784  August 21, 2019, 04:05:30 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Sony has called off its deal with Marvel because money, will no longer allow the use of Spider-Man or any associated characters in the MCU.

Because fuck all of these years of extremely successful movies and carefully crafted intertwining cinematic universe plotlines, think of the poor, poor executives who might not end up making as many millions of dollars as they'd prefer to this fiscal quarter.

But on the brigjt side we can finally have Spidey in the haphazardly crafted B-list and C-list cinematic universe Sony insists on pushing!

Wonder if they'll be stupid enough to make a new reboot story or of they' ll just drop *a* Spider-man who doesn't have an origin story that directly contradicts the MCU but doesn't make a consistent reference towards it either.
#3785  August 21, 2019, 04:32:29 am
    • USA
You'd think Marvel/Disney would have enough money that they could just buy the rights back wholesale and not have to deal with Sony's horseshit.

Thank fuck they've got X-Men and Fantastic 4 back in their stable now so they still have some heavy hitters to push the narrative forward in a way that doesn't have to be tied to Avengers.
#3786  August 21, 2019, 05:00:17 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
You'd think Marvel/Disney would have enough money that they could just buy the rights back wholesale and not have to deal with Sony's horseshit.

Thank fuck they've got X-Men and Fantastic 4 back in their stable now so they still have some heavy hitters to push the narrative forward in a way that doesn't have to be tied to Avengers.

This. Holy crap the stuff Sony have been doing is just bonkers. If they truly think they can make a universe that can sustain them in the long run, they might be delusional.
#3787  August 21, 2019, 05:16:17 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

The Spider-man IP is the figurative goose that lays golden eggs, Disney can offer Sony all the money in the world but given enough time Sony could make the same sum back.

Word around the vine is that Sony and Disney are just playing chicken, and they'll eventually settle a new contract with a different profit split since they're officially still talking. I personally think Sony is stupid enough bluff too hard on Disney.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:26:55 am by Foobs
#3788  August 21, 2019, 05:23:07 am
    • USA
Sony's had their share of goose eggs when it comes to Spider-Man, all right.

The biggest issue I'm seeing here is that Tom Holland still has a contract for two more movies.  So either Sony thinks they're going to make their own reboot with the same cast and same characters but not be connected to the previous films with that cast and characters, or they think they can get away with making a sequel to another studio's film.  It's like getting to choose which foot to shoot yourself in.
#3789  August 21, 2019, 05:33:58 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
I guess I would probably be the odd one out being okay with this. I liked venom a lot and was not happy with the whole spidey - Ironman mentor thing. I felt he lost the essence of who spidey actually was in the MCU.
#3790  August 21, 2019, 06:02:51 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
You're not alone Yuga.
Lasagna
#3791  August 21, 2019, 07:09:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I didn't have a big problem with it in Homecoming (aside from all the locked, super advanced features in his suit like the AI buddy and the drone, etc.), but after Endgame (with its "activate instant kill mode") and especially Far From Home's... everything relating to Iron Man (and his tech), they seriously need to cut back on that. Spider-Man shouldn't be Iron Man Jr.!

but anyway yeah it very much seems like this "announcement" is just Sony (or maybe Disney put this out, who knows) playing hardball, hoping for a better deal. I would hope that both sides realize that the current set-up is not worth blowing up over something so dumb!
#3792  August 21, 2019, 02:29:11 pm
but anyway yeah it very much seems like this "announcement" is just Sony (or maybe Disney put this out, who knows) playing hardball, hoping for a better deal. I would hope that both sides realize that the current set-up is not worth blowing up over something so dumb!
Apparently Disney want a 50% cut on movie profits (up from the current 0%), Sony said no and suggested some other pity rate, Disney walked out. Someone could be willing to come back to the table but word is the guy currently heading Sony's movies who is responsible for Venom is a giant shithead. Probably the next Perlmutter situation (it kinda feels like the Sony guy is preparing to do some peak executive meddling).
Spider-Man shouldn't be Iron Man Jr.!
TBF, beside the suit building, FFH has been pretty subtle on this, they make it look like he's surrounded by high tech but the actual use of the suit doesn't really have any tech beside speaking with Edith and the suit lady. It feels to me like they both want to make Peter very smart + be immersed in a world with Tony Stark, and still do most of the work himself without that many gadgets that aren't his own powers. Which is exactly how he's supposed to be. They made a montage of Peter picking the best parts of the previous suits, and I think the most tech it used was an electric shock and a spider shaped parachute (plus the mini spider drone okay).
And, just saying, but the comics used to have Peter come up with heat resistant webbing to use as boxing gloves on Molten Man... coming up with tech but disguising it as animal-themed fake super powers. Since all the animal-themed villains are tech based in this universe, it's not a big leap.

Apparently the movies on Morbius and Silver Sable are still on the table. Why even. Who wrote those ideas. Why do they still refuse to say what the fuck they even want to do with them beside "we want a movie with those guys".
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:45:19 pm by Byakko
#3793  August 21, 2019, 03:57:52 pm

they might last time marvel talked about xmen is that the head guys at marvel doesn't like xmen for unknown weird reasons. probably that's just bad pr talking and they just want to push the inhumans to take their place.

The Spider-man IP is the figurative goose that lays golden eggs, Disney can offer Sony all the money in the world but given enough time Sony could make the same sum back.

Word around the vine is that Sony and Disney are just playing chicken, and they'll eventually settle a new contract with a different profit split since they're officially still talking. I personally think Sony is stupid enough bluff too hard on Disney.

that 50/50 deal wasn't that bad. it's better than their initial deal which give all the profit to marvel in the first weeks of a premiere. i think that first deal is a big gamble on sony. plus i heard sony bought out the guys who made the recent spiderman game. if this is a bluff they are doing it hard.

I didn't have a big problem with it in Homecoming (aside from all the locked, super advanced features in his suit like the AI buddy and the drone, etc.), but after Endgame (with its "activate instant kill mode") and especially Far From Home's... everything relating to Iron Man (and his tech), they seriously need to cut back on that. Spider-Man shouldn't be Iron Man Jr.!

i think it's ok it's much weirder if spiderman isn't using tony's tech.

all in all i think it's not a bad move for sony , marvel gotta get their flagship title back to fold eventually they will give sony what they want but until then we can just make fun of what's happening and if we're lucky they might do a live action spiderverse with all three spidermen.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:16:30 pm by 地獄の花
#3794  August 21, 2019, 04:14:51 pm
they might last time marvel talked about xmen is that the head guys at marvel doesn't like xmen for unknown weird reasons. probably that's just bad pr talking and they just want to push the inhumans to take their place.
That was several years ago back with Perlmutter, that was specifically to spite Fox's movies, and that was before Perlmutter was kicked out, before the Inhumans were pushed out of a movie and into a series, before that series crashed in flames, and before Disney bought Fox and got the X Men back. The X Men have been coming back slowly in Marvel in the last couple of years, In games and comics. Now Feige already confirmed that the X Men would come back in the MCU.

And yeah, Sony just bought Insomniac who did the PS4 game, but I don't think there's any plan to mix the games and the movies. Sony simply bought insomniac because they were already publishing their PlayStation games.

that 50/50 deal wasn't that bad. it's better than their initial deal which give all the profit to marvel in the first weeks of a premiere. i think that first deal is a big gamble on sony.
I looked that up, apparently Marvel was taking "5% of first dollar gross", whatever that means ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-dollar_gross
5% of the first DAY okay that's kinda brutal.
Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:33:30 pm by Byakko
#3795  August 22, 2019, 12:32:06 am
    • USA
For a movie that's a guaranteed hit like Spider-Man (and especially Homecoming and Far From Home, which have done gangbusters even for Spider-Man), 5% ain't a bad deal at all. The first day of release is when most of the money gets made, after all. Disney was also contributing to the budget to some extent, but I'm not sure that info is public (maybe it's also 5%?). They should probably be getting more now that they've shown how much better they are at making these movies than Sony is, of course!

TBF, beside the suit building, FFH has been pretty subtle on this, they make it look like he's surrounded by high tech but the actual use of the suit doesn't really have any tech beside speaking with Edith and the suit lady. It feels to me like they both want to make Peter very smart + be immersed in a world with Tony Stark, and still do most of the work himself without that many gadgets that aren't his own powers. Which is exactly how he's supposed to be. They made a montage of Peter picking the best parts of the previous suits, and I think the most tech it used was an electric shock and a spider shaped parachute (plus the mini spider drone okay).
I don't have a problem with Spider-Man having tech, or even using Tony's 3D printer thing to make a new suit with special webbing or anything, that all feels classically Spider-Man and fits in the specific setting of the MCU.

But Far From Home really did go overboard in setting up Peter as Tony Stark's explicit successor, with it being the through line of the whole movie. The villain's plot is all about usurping the role of "the next Iron Man" from Peter, because they feel like they deserve it more. The central struggle Spider-Man is going through in the movie (beyond his love life hijinks) is living up to the legacy of Iron Man; he's full of doubts in the beginning, and then Nick Fury pressures him to live up to being Iron Man's successor,  and then the villains show up and exploit that vulnerability and make him think he's unworthy of fulfilling that role.

His lowest point in the movie comes after Mysterio's big illusion whammy that confronts him directly with images of Tony Stark's grave, and leaves him near death. He starts to resolve his dilemma figuratively when Happy shows up with the plane and gives him a pep talk, and this gets really hammered in when he starts making his new costume: he's using the same kind of holographic table thingy that Stark always uses, interacting with the projections by waving his hands and even sticking his hand into the holographically generated arm of the costume he's generating (a true staple of the "Tony makes a new suit" scenes). They even have Happy look on at Peter doing this with a mix of joy and sadness: Happy is seeing Peter act just like Stark used to, proving that Peter is worthy of living up to him. The struggle is then resolved literally, when he defeats the Mysterio and decisively proves who gets to succeed Iron Man by reclaiming the MacGuffin that was meant for him.

And that central MacGuffin is a piece of Stark's tech was explicitly bestowed upon Peter as a symbol of him being his successor; indeed, the piece of tech is literally a pair of those dumb ass tinted sunglasses that RDJ loves to wear. Said piece of tech is also a hyper-advanced AI assistant that can easily hack into everyone's cell phones and perform all sorts of insanely intrusive worldwide surveillance, and also order killer drone strikes at the drop of a hat (???). All of which barely feels like Iron Man (though he is a giant hypocritical asshole, so I guess it's not too out there for him), much less Spider-Man. And especially not a 16 year old Spider-Man!

Apparently the movies on Morbius and Silver Sable are still on the table. Why even. Who wrote those ideas. Why do they still refuse to say what the fuck they even want to do with them beside "we want a movie with those guys".
The Morbius movie, starring Jared Leto, is like, in actual preproduction and will start shooting soon. It's a truly one of the most cursed movies imaginable and a true sign of how fallen this world is. :pwn:

That was several years ago back with Perlmutter, that was specifically to spite Fox's movies, and that was before Perlmutter was kicked out, before the Inhumans were pushed out of a movie and into a series, before that series crashed in flames, and before Disney bought Fox and got the X Men back. The X Men have been coming back slowly in Marvel in the last couple of years, In games and comics. Now Feige already confirmed that the X Men would come back in the MCU.
Perlmutter is sadly still around to some extent (he does however have no involvement with Marvel Studios, which is its own independent entity and thus there's a lot of disconnect between what Marvel Studios is doing and what Marvel Entertainment, which has also done all the non-Disney+ TV shows thus far, is doing). He seemingly still wields enough influence to get an Art Spiegelman essay about Golden Age Marvel characters canned, because it was too unflattering to his very close friend Donald Trump.
#3796  August 22, 2019, 12:41:54 am
#3797  August 22, 2019, 12:50:56 am
    • USA
Apparently yes! Written by the amazing duo who brought us Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, and Gods of Egypt.

:qq:
#3798  August 24, 2019, 03:46:21 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3799  August 24, 2019, 04:00:46 am
    • USA
Welp, who gives a shit about Spider-Man anymore. Hot damn!  :woeh:
#3800  August 24, 2019, 04:03:25 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Super looking forward to She-Hulk and Moon Knight, yeah if they are getting up in arms about Spider-Man then let it die for a bit.