YesNoOk

KM's Quickie Stage - Definitely Unfinished (Read 3388 times)

Started by KMLoneMouseWolf, October 28, 2007, 06:14:31 am
Share this topic:
KM's Quickie Stage - Definitely Unfinished
#1  October 28, 2007, 06:14:31 am
  • Never will be a Banana Chap
    • kmmousemugen.bravehost.com
I threw together something using Sonic Advance sprites just to see if I can do it and apply bits and pieces of knowledge I've learned.

I'm kinda pleased with my results though I can see woodworm-esque holes in my floor and I don't know how they got there. ???

Anyway, I chose to throw myself onto the mercy of the forum and see what everyone thinks.

Due to a lack of... anything (lol) I uploaded it onto esnips.com. So the link be Here.

Free usage, you wanna tear it apart and reuse bits, be my guest. :sugoi:

D'oh, forgot images!

'I have defied Gods and Demons... I know you, your past, your future. Your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is how the world ends.'

KM's MUGEN Site. Like life, a work in progress.
Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:15:48 am by KMMouse
Re: KM's Quickie Stage - Definitely Unfinished
#2  October 28, 2007, 06:32:38 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I haven't tested the stage yet, but the strange things you have in the floor must come from the fact that you set these pixels to transparent.

Also, the right part of the stage seems to cover the character, try using the BlackJack trick (look in the tuto section), using trans=none and layerno=0 on one BG and trans=add1 and layerno=1 on a copy of this BG.
#3  October 28, 2007, 07:36:14 pm
    • www-personal.umich.edu/~tdkim/ziltama/
The stage is too tall.  You can see a large block of purple on top.  Set boundhigh to a less negative number.

I agree.  Use black jack for the bricks covering the players.

As for the disappearing pixels, set mask = 0.  Your floor is just a rectangular block, so there's no purpose setting mask = 1.

As for the floor itself, it looks awful.  It's just the same bricks made larger with blur.  Find different graphics for the floor.

Now that I think about it, the source material used is not good.  Try a different game with higher quality brick/block sprites or get a better quality rip.

When I look at this stage, I don't think about Sonic at all.
Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:40:52 pm by ziltama
#4  October 28, 2007, 07:42:31 pm
  • Never will be a Banana Chap
    • kmmousemugen.bravehost.com
I haven't tested the stage yet, but the strange things you have in the floor must come from the fact that you set these pixels to transparent.

Also, the right part of the stage seems to cover the character, try using the BlackJack trick (look in the tuto section), using trans=none and layerno=0 on one BG and trans=add1 and layerno=1 on a copy of this BG.
Ah, I didn't check the original color table of that image when I crossed it into the template, so that's probably my problem.

I was actually aiming for the covering effect. If you've ever played the stage based on the opening sequence of Super Metroid, Metlab, I was aiming for that effect.
The stage is too tall.  You can see a large block of purple on top.  Set boundhigh to a less negative number.

The floor looks awful.  It's just the same bricks made larger with blur.

Now that I think about it, the source material used is not good.  Try a different game with higher quality brick/block sprites or get a better quality rip.
I stretched the floor. I agree, I could have done it a lot better, used the same sprites and just tile-effected them on the template like I did the background. The quality is a LOT better if I leave it at the natural ratio... ^^;;;

And I didn't play with the template's given settings very much, so I will definitely go ahead and fix up the boundhigh.

As I said, this isn't a complete work, so I'll go ahead and implement those fixes in the next version. I'll probably add some more stuff inbetween that doesn't cover the players, so I will make use of that blackjack tutorial. ^^ After looking at the BlackJack trick, I decided that's actually really cool and I'mma gonna use that on what I already have. ^^:

Edit: Just to show you the better floor design just to show you what I actually wanted it this to look like, here's the image of the fixed sprites. Apparently, yes, it was the transparency that was causing the problem with the woodworm-holes.

'I have defied Gods and Demons... I know you, your past, your future. Your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is how the world ends.'

KM's MUGEN Site. Like life, a work in progress.
Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:47:06 pm by KMMouse
#5  October 29, 2007, 09:23:21 pm
  • Snake Eater
    • mgmod.com/mugen/

As for the disappearing pixels, set mask = 0.  Your floor is just a rectangular block, so there's no purpose setting mask = 1.

As for the floor itself, it looks awful.  It's just the same bricks made larger with blur.  Find different graphics for the floor.

When I look at this stage, I don't think about Sonic at all.

Start with KFM tutorial my tutorial that is open source you took the template from doesn't give all the information its best to read kfm's stage tut first.
Interactive Stage W.I.P Click Below

--------------

I give my life not for honor but for you