YesNoOk

Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page) (Read 44679 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 18, 2012, 11:23:41 am
Share this topic:
Re: Pegasus Seiya (5th Cloth) Project Page)
#21  September 24, 2012, 07:45:05 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Haha, Graphicus+Methiou, the new spriting team (much like Darkdez+SolBlaze). :D
#22  September 24, 2012, 09:15:28 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Great stuff man! Love the animations! I am watching this topic ;)

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#23  September 25, 2012, 12:48:56 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Iced & YoungSamurai5 & thanewdude07: Thanks, still making progress! Still working out the kinks and stuff!

Cybaster: LOL, I feel like I'm just doing the chump work on those KOFXIII sprites. methiou's doing all the hard work.

methiou: I'd love to have you help me out with the shading! I'll finish all of the animations first, though.

Quick set of noob questions that I hope someone (anyone) can answer, seeing as how this is my first character and I'd like to avoid as many future problems as possible. I'm looking at existing sprite sheets to try to look for patterns, or things that I might not realize are obvious, due to lack of experience. I also don't have a coder to tell me "make sure that when doing X animation, that you follow this process, etc...". Here are my questions:

1. All sprites are pre-aligned... I've heard a lot of threads discussing the extra work involved in aligning sprites, so every frame is displayed within the same-sized box. If you look at the gifs, you will see the white border, indicating what I'm referring to. Can you tell me if I correctly understood what aligning meant, based on those gifs? Also, how do I even align jumping/dashing/dodging/etc sprites? Do I even have to? I mean, I can have Seiya spin in place for the jumping forward/backward anim, but I'm not sure it matters, since any variation in speed and angle will probably throw everything off and will probably have to be realigned by the coder anyway...

2. Other than general common sense when spriting moves (such as making sure the character has a normal reach, speed, etc...), are there any things I should watch out for? Are there any animations that have a pre-determined number of frames that I'm not supposed to exceed, or that I'm supposed to reach, due to the way MUGEN works? I already know sprites are mirrored on the P2 side (which is a downer when the character is not symmetric). A dumb example would be: Am I allowed to create separate animations for jumping forward/backward? or walking backward/forward? Or does MUGEN inevitably require that the animations be exactly the same, only in reverse? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't in these cases, but I'm no expert, so it's better to ask now).

If there's anything that I haven't asked that you feel I should know, please tell me! :D
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:55:56 am by Graphicus
#24  September 25, 2012, 04:15:36 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
im gonna answer #1 because im have no clue about the 2nd one lol. first of all you are ahead of the game with aligning some of your sprites as coders hate aligning sprites ( i know from experiance smh). aligning things such as dashes and jumps and what not is best that you keep them centered as the coder will pretty much do the same and let the game gravity do the rest. but your gifs look pretty cool btw lol.
mugen or nothin

#25  September 25, 2012, 05:24:05 am
    • Argentina
Ok, so keep him centered during those, then... gotcha (that's what I've been doing by the way, thankfully).

Anything else?
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:19:53 pm by Graphicus
#26  September 25, 2012, 07:38:32 pm
  • Young Coder
    • USA
other than that from what i see you are doing a great job
mugen or nothin

#27  September 25, 2012, 09:21:52 pm
Am I allowed to create separate animations for jumping forward/backward? or walking backward/forward? Or does MUGEN inevitably require that the animations be exactly the same, only in reverse?

You can do both. But the char's animations are
-jumping neutral, jumping forward, jumping backward
-walking back, walking forward
-running forward, hop backward
-stand turning, crouch turning
-etc.

So I would suggest to create separate animations for each action, it will make your char more complete.

#28  September 25, 2012, 09:34:50 pm
    • Argentina
Awesome, yeah... I was planning to (I try to avoid recycling stuff if I can help it). I just didn't want to do all that work for nothing if it was going to be unusable.

Also, does it make sense to do a start-up frame for jumping, or are characters launched immediately into the air as soon as you press up, up/forward, up/back? By start-up frame I mean a frame where the character bends his knees slightly to jump (like a normal person, basically)
#29  September 25, 2012, 09:42:23 pm
Yes, that makes sense.

Anim 40 is in fact "Jump start frame".
#30  October 05, 2012, 12:59:50 am
    • Argentina
Sorry for the lack of updates, guys. I've been going back to some of my previous animations and noticing a lot of problems, which doesn't go too well with my OCD (I was going to fix these during the coloring/shading process, but it bothered me too much). I haven't had a lot of opportunity to work on new animations yet (except the dash forward, which I now realize was completely pointless, since he's going to run). The project is not dead however.

Feedback is still welcome, btw.
#31  October 05, 2012, 01:21:42 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Seems like an interesting project. You got my support !

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#32  October 05, 2012, 02:01:47 pm
(except the dash forward, which I now realize was completely pointless, since he's going to run).

I don't think it's pointless; think of it this way: if you're going to make a CvS styled char, or a Street Fighter styled character you have the animations done, but if you do a SNK char you don't need them, so you can choose between one and the other. Or both, if you are going for a custom one.
But maybe I make someone think I'm requesting something, so I just stop.

The project is not dead however.
Nice to know that!  :sugoi:

#33  October 05, 2012, 08:11:57 pm
  • Whats a girlfriend? its something you can eat?
    • Spain
Wow super sweet anims!
Wish you the best of lucks with this Wip, ive never been a fan of Saint Seya, but this rocks to much!
#34  October 06, 2012, 01:30:53 pm
  • I'll do it myself.
    • France
    • Skype - djoulianne
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/hosted.html
beautifull anims man: i'm definitely following this :)
#35  November 11, 2012, 09:22:58 am
    • Argentina
Man, 4th page of the "Projects" section... I need to get it together.

Basically, I've been busy with work, so I've been going slow, but steady. I'm trying to get all the basics out of the way first, which I'm not going to post yet as you may find them boring to look at. Based on the checklist I've made (and assuming I don't keep adding stuff to it), I'm currently 53% done with all flat shaded animations (like the ones I've been posting). It's been extremely hard not to sprite some of the more entertaining moves, but I have to do this, or I might lose the will to continue (I feel like I'm on a drawing "diet").

Just a couple of things I've changed:

New vertical jump sprite. Didn't like the old one... (there are new start-up frames, of course):

Also, here's one of the concepts for a potential shading style... I'm not very good at it, but I think it came out pretty nice (not CVS, though):

Left: Manga Palette.
Right: Anime Palette.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:35:39 pm by Graphicus
#36  November 11, 2012, 11:17:50 am
Really nice! I like the shading you added. I think it add an anime-esque feeling to your sprite. Keep going!
A question: is the lightsource positioned like the one in KoF? Not above the characters like in CvS?
At least we'll see something different, for a change. :yippi:
#37  November 11, 2012, 11:27:32 am
    • Argentina
Don't remember what KOF's lightsource was, but mine's supposed to be top-right (top-left for P2).
#38  November 11, 2012, 11:44:54 pm
  • I need your help...
    • Mexico
¡Caballeros del Zodiaco! Contra las fuerzas demoníacas, Guardan siempre en su corazón ¡Coraje para vencer! This is the song in audio latino, really I like to see more and more from your Pegasus Seiya mi amigo, good work in it!!

Contact me if you want a mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EMU3HTMW4MPUL
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 1307-0181-1655
Name: chuchoryu
#39  November 12, 2012, 12:55:09 am
    • USA
I tried my hand at shading, it's CPS2-ish

Maybe you could do something like it?
#40  November 12, 2012, 01:42:54 am
    • Argentina
¡Caballeros del Zodiaco! Contra las fuerzas demoníacas, Guardan siempre en su corazón ¡Coraje para vencer! This is the song in audio latino, really I like to see more and more from your Pegasus Seiya mi amigo, good work in it!!

I used to watch the show in Argentina. That opening was actually originally in French (for the French dub) which, for cost-reasons, was then dubbed into Italian for the Italian version, and then finally dubbed into Spanish for every Spanish speaking country in the world (the song is actually sung by a Spanish person, not a Latin one... you can hear the accent more vividly in the chorus).

Eventually, Cartoon Network acquired the rights to play the show and finally decided to translate the original openings and endings (they did a pretty good job, too, if I say so myself).

But yeah, as horrible as that opening is, it's still a classic :D

I tried my hand at shading, it's CPS2-ish

Maybe you could do something like it?

LOVE IT!!  :swoon:

Man, that looks SO FREAKIN' good! I wish I knew how to shade in CPS2 style!  TT _ TT