• www.justnopoint.com/
I'm for it. Topic gives my reasons.
Re: engineer forum
#3  May 08, 2009, 02:14:10 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
We have too many child boards in projects (i wrote that "boreds" and had to change it... Shows where my mind is right now) I would prefer to make use of another forum in some manner. Discussion or dev with a child board could be better.

I still don't consider them projects. Putting them in the projects board gives the wrong impression. They are, as mentioned just ideas. Idea's do not belong in the projects board.

The bigger question is, how do we redefine when they have actually become a project? What do we expect achieved by the users in question in order to get the topic promoted?

ARcoolguy's thread really does not deserve it, he's filled in what i told him, but it was really half assed and cheap looking. Are we after a standard level of work here or what?

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  May 08, 2009, 02:19:16 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Can't we just rename the section to something that makes people feel they need actual work done, remove some engineering threads, then see if this mess still starts over?

That said, a "Your Mugen" or something section in Mugen Discussion could be worth it.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#5  May 08, 2009, 02:35:28 pm
    • Germany
We have too many child boards in projects (i wrote that "boreds" and had to change it... Shows where my mind is right now) I would prefer to make use of another forum in some manner. Discussion or dev with a child board could be better.

I could move the subforum list on the thread view to the bottom. On the front page it's not too bad, is it?

ARcoolguy's thread really does not deserve it, he's filled in what i told him, but it was really half assed and cheap looking. Are we after a standard level of work here or what?

A general guideline should do it, no strict rules - that only leads to people complaining about special cases..
#6  May 08, 2009, 02:41:25 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
For a full game you should have 1 character completed already to define the system before you may class it as a project. You should also have completed this one character yourself? A download here wouldn't be needed, but if you have a base to code from, you can work faster, even if editing is involved.

That way, if it fails, they can just release the character and have achieved something.

Edit: Arcoolguy's response is LMAO. I didn't specify a time limit? I just said i expected his next post to be a full sheet. Didn't say when. Sigh, i'm going to have to click a button to trash it aren't i? I did promise i suppose but he's making me do moderator work! Damn him!

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:49:03 pm by Cyanide
#7  May 08, 2009, 02:48:21 pm
    • Germany
...right but one character of a full game can already go into projects :P
#8  May 08, 2009, 02:50:07 pm
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
That would be the promotion aspect of things. Ie, they have an idea, when said idea becomes a full character, full game idea = full game project.

#9  May 08, 2009, 02:57:21 pm
    • Portugal
Well, we better start printing out those manuals for the WIP section.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#10  May 08, 2009, 03:07:16 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah, no real guidelines on promotions and such.

Basically if you have the contributor star (or are know well without it) you don't have to worry about a thread being moved unless you just WANT to be posting in the ideas section.

Once decent progress is made the topic can be moved. Decent is undefined but whatever... obviously attitude and other things will reflect it. We'll hear about it if one of those threads actually evolves into something of value. Making up all these guidelines for something that happens once out of every 2000 topics is kinda silly IMO :P
#11  May 08, 2009, 03:11:10 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Just dont call it "your mugenz", it will only incite more people to post up their compilations.
#12  May 08, 2009, 03:15:30 pm
    • Germany
I think that was meant as a separate idea. Not a bad one, either..
#13  May 08, 2009, 03:18:22 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
i think its both a bit of a waste, and a dificulty in itself, cuz then you have to decide if something is a full game or a compilation, and people will still claim that their games are fullgames and meant for outside of the "your mugenz" section.
"Its totally a game, its Guilty gear versus street fighter versus mortal kombat!! I edited a bit of the screenpack!"

Also, you would get more bothersome people like vyx trying to become famous by releasing his amazing fullgames compilations. If it boils down to me, I rather not have waste of threads on those, I rather have three idea enginering threads than one about a guy that put together all of Rikard characters and is trying to release a fullgame compilation where they face dragonball.
#14  May 08, 2009, 04:23:44 pm
  • SNK is life
I dislike how the original question brought up in that thread got derailed.
I want the screenshot rule back >:(

#15  May 08, 2009, 05:54:14 pm
  • I got a PM.
Screenshot rule. I like it.

If we make an engineer topic or thread or forum, then it would only be a matter of time before that became the most popular useless section. It would be a place for Joe Blow to post not only his idea, but it would quickly turn into a please make this for me area.

I think it's a terrible idea.

Maybe we could make the contributor star means something. How about projects are publicly viewable, but only contributors get to post in it?
#16  May 08, 2009, 05:58:31 pm
    • Portugal
The whole point is to have a junk magnet section.
#17  May 08, 2009, 06:06:26 pm
  • I got a PM.
I understand,

But condoning more junk, would just cause more junk. At least that's what I predict. I also predicted that I would be a millionaire by now.
#18  May 08, 2009, 06:07:31 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yup, and as rare as it is... those ideas have actually become a reality. A board for just ideas could even be a good place to steal... err... borrow ideas by actual developers :P
#19  May 08, 2009, 07:06:38 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I say add it.  You have A: put up with projects you know will fail (and everyone will make at least two posts in each thread stating so).  B: have engineer forum.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#20  May 08, 2009, 11:52:20 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Cooper for cleanup crew of enginer section.

[size=07pt]Take that!![/size]