Goals (Read 48396 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, April 04, 2014, 07:40:41 pm
Goals
#1  April 04, 2014, 07:40:41 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Phase 1
Get a working template created using Ryu

Link to MFG Ryu folder in dropbox

Spoiler: List of users that have access (click to see content)

Our 1st goal is to get a working template created using Ryu.

I have a short term gameplan and a long term gameplan. These can be tweaked as needed. Your feedback and ideas to speed any process along is highly encouraged.

The short term gameplan is focussing all our time and resources on the initial template. It is as follows:

Solidify Ryu's base sprites, sounds, and any and all other things needed to create him.
I will be working with our sff and air volunteers to come up with a good universal template to determine what group numbers would be best for the sprites and the animations. All SF characters after the fact will be made using the exact same group numbers.

After the sff and most of the air file is completed we will begin focussing on the coding. Movements, basics, specials, etc. Movements/attacks will be divided into groups/posts. For example: A post dedicated to all of Ryu's standing basics. In this thread users would be able to submit coding. Someone could could everything here if they wanted. Or just parts. We could optimise the coding as a group and help document it.

A lot of the universal mechanics will go into a common.cns file.

For the long term goals, once Ryu is finished we may need to make sub boards for each character to keep all the coding portions together.

SFF creation will begin next week. (Unless someone wishes to start it before then but I'll be working the next few days.)

Related. Posting the quote here to keep all the ideas and evolution in an easier to locate area.
There are more chances things can screw this project over and/or end it completely than there are chances it'll get somewhere even a quarter where we're reaching.

I don't know all the details about those community projects but from what you're saying it sounds like people made whatever they wanted with no kind of quality check or assignments.
I'm tweaking my approach that I had hosting the Web Comic Awards into this. It's a lot different but I think there are many similarities.  Yes, it's to be an open community project but there needs to be a host. I've taken up that mantle. I have a set plan for how to assign and distribute the work. I'll be open to ideas that will improve the distribution and the work flow. But to break it down in a general sense.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

That's just a bit of the idea I have for this/ I'm sure there are a lot of flaws but we have a lot of talented people that should help us figure out how to accomplish this. It's a community project but it'll probably still be a pretty small group working on things at a given time. I hope any of that made sense :P

But yes, I'm well aware this is a very uphill battle.

You could ask Lightflare, if i can remember (and if i'm not wrong) he was working on many extended stages from SFA3-SF2 stages.
That's a possibility.  We'll have to see the quality and the number of stages he has converted.
Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:50:36 am by Just No Point
Re: Gameplan and goals
#2  April 04, 2014, 07:49:49 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
What would the best way to share our files with each other be? For example the sff file. We need an agreed upon hub to upload everything like that.
#3  April 04, 2014, 07:51:40 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
community dropbox?
#4  April 06, 2014, 04:52:12 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
@Just No Point: Should we (sound/music guys(Wizzy, Omega and me)) start on the music already? Let me know when.

@Omega:, @WizzyWhipitWonderful: We should start talking about how we're gonna make the music, let's talk about it over PM or Skype

#5  April 06, 2014, 10:25:27 am
Yeah we can do that. I'll send you a pm than.
#6  April 09, 2014, 06:21:02 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I wouldn't start the music remixes "just for this project" already. BUT even if this project goes belly up they can still be useful so I want to say yes in that regard, if that makes sense. :)

How do I go about making the dropbox open community? Do I just give out the user email and pass? Nevermind, I figured it out
Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:32:27 pm by Just No Point
#7  April 09, 2014, 07:00:10 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
I wouldn't start the music remixes "just for this project" already. BUT even if this project goes belly up they can still be useful so I want to say yes in that regard, if that makes sense. :)

How do I go about making the dropbox open community? Do I just give out the user email and pass? Nevermind, I figured it out

OK, Omega, Wizzy and I formed a group in Skype, and Omega and I are working on a "sample" track as an exercise.

#8  April 09, 2014, 07:11:47 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Awesome. Think any of you may be able to edit that denjin voice too?

As for gameplan the priority is the sff and air for now. Coding duties will be assigned after this is completed.
#9  April 11, 2014, 03:38:28 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
@Alex Sinigaglia:
@Renzo F:

I added both of you guys to the dropbox. You both have the ability to invite other users as well. Update the spoiler in the 1st thread to name who all has access please.

If anyone wishes to be added to the dropbox just PM me, Renzo, or Alex and give us your email.
#10  April 12, 2014, 05:05:35 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I would like to join the dropbox folder too but then I figured it's not really useful to have me, I can't change .sff or .air stuff anyway.
I'll stick to posting animations here in the thread :P
#11  April 12, 2014, 05:09:41 pm
I'm being serious too!!!
#12  April 12, 2014, 07:35:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Balthazar's time is way too precious to have to learn any other parts of mugen creation! =p
Re: Gameplan, goals, organization
#13  April 15, 2014, 01:45:23 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm adding a new meaning to this thread. Organization. The amount of users wishing to help is fantastic. But they don't all have an ideal focus. I want you all to be able to discuss, contribute how you like, and have fun. BUT we have to moderate how off the gameplan we're getting too.

Feel free to post suggestions on how to help organize a project of this size here. I think this is a 1st in MFG so we're all learning and we don't want it to implode with too much focus on assignments but we don't want it to explode with too little focus at all.

I plan to re-purpose some stickies. Remove some, combine some threads, etc
General Brainstorming doesn't need to be stickied. It's active enough to not need it. INFORMATION will be stickied and I'll add a FAQ. Heck, in the screenpack thread the name of the game wasn't even clear to some. so a FAQ is more than needed.

I'll create a general idea engineering thread for crazy what if things. At times I may call out a user that is going too far off the goals. I love enthusiasm but we have to stay within the goals for the most part. I don't wish to discourage so if i do say something about what you are contributing then don't take it personally.

For starters:
@Felo_Llop: What all areas are you focusing your skills on? You have a wide variety of graphics skills so you can help out in a lot of areas. But you probably need to pinpoint what area you wish to focus on so that you don't spread yourself out too far.
I think you'd be best working on the portraits and needed sprites for the most part. Dabbing in other areas just a bit is okay, we just need to make sure we're putting all of our attention on the focused areas.

Basically it looks like we're starting to branch sub teams off.
The Screenpack division is doing wonderful work!
The music division looks like they are discussing things well and coming up with a good solid gameplan
Color Separation team is starting to form.
Team Spriters just need to focus a tad more on Ryu, Birdie, Eagle, and Chun Li
I'm still trying to get team sff =p
Re: Goals
#14  April 15, 2014, 09:20:34 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I organised myself :P. There's 2 days for spriting, 2 days for CS and 2 days for portraits  :P.

The "problem" with the CS I have in mind are their "complexity". Mika now has a wide range of possible outfits(even it's a prototype), DeeJay has Hwoarang's alt from SFxT, Gen is the easiest here. And Birdie is...well, jackt has colour A, and trousers the colour B, I kept the original base colour for the chains and handcuffs, because that's a complex part to CS.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#15  April 15, 2014, 11:07:57 am
You can count on me for the .sff, we just have to communicate more. :)
#16  April 15, 2014, 09:47:53 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
You said you didn't use any sort of chat program, correct?

YAY team sff has it's first new member! I actually like making sff files myself. If I wasn't working on Ryu's coding I'd be working on the other sff files already.
If you want you can take JMorphMan's sff and start reordering the sprites to be in Ryu's order. Remove all the fx and strip her down :ninja:

I'm going to have to go to work tomorrow. I don't see this preventing my goal of punching bag Ryu with basics finished however. In fact he's already a punching bag I'm just coding the basic attacks.
#17  April 15, 2014, 10:01:33 pm
#18  April 15, 2014, 10:06:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I've said ChunLi at some point in my life. I don't need to keep repeating now!

I updated the Dropbox. Air, cns, st, cmd, def files

For the most part I've just got my Darkstalkers style Ryu coding planted in. So he's primarily a punching bag. Some attacks work but not well.
#19  April 16, 2014, 12:11:58 am
Ah, I forgot to add the roll sprites in the .sff for Ryu, and the sprites number 197,4 and 5 are misaligned (the position should be 30,107 for 197,4 and 29,105 for 197,5).

I wanted to ask before, maybe it's a stupid question but for Chun Li do I have to delete her palettes too?
#20  April 16, 2014, 12:14:34 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
No you don't have to delete them. We'll cross the palette road later on. They will probably be useful.