YesNoOk

The Game (Read 15074 times)

Started by Liquid Jake, December 08, 2010, 09:12:18 am
The Game
New #1  December 08, 2010, 09:12:18 am
    • USA

A fighting game that takes place in the Harry Potter universe, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  I'm making it for my kids, because they asked me to.  It's built on Mugen 1.0, currently version RC8, and it runs at 640x480.

I set the game in 1942 for artistic liberties:  Everyone who's read the books has an idea of what the main characters look like and act like, and everyone who's seen the movies has a different idea.  By playing in 1942 I'm able to use characters and locations that are familiar, or will be later, and yet still be able to do reasonably whatever I want.

If the game is well-received (mostly by my kids, but your opinion counts too) I may go on to do other years, other students.  We'll see.

When I started this, I sent letters to Bloomsbury and Scholastic, the UK and US book publishers, explaining what I had planned.  So far, I've heard nothing from them, and that's fine by me.  If I ever get a C&D, though, I will; I'm not doing this to piss anyone off.

The music is all from the movies, used without permission.  Again, if I get sued, I'm done.

I'll post the demo when it's ready, and the game when it's finished, as an unpacked, unprotected Mugen folder.  It's not my universe, and I can't claim it.  I assume that, since this is Mugen, pallet swaps and a few Hogwarts Anthologys will pop up almost immediately.  I only hope everyone remembers who did it first, and besides, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I've read all the books, I've seen all the movies, I am a fan.  But I'm also a dad, and this is something I'm doing because my kids asked for it, and I can actually do it.  They enjoy the process, and the progress, and I enjoy their input.

And that is magic...
Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:49:56 pm by Liquid Jake
Re: The Game
#2  December 09, 2010, 07:22:37 pm
  • SNK is life
This is awesome, I hope it all pans out for the best. I love how you can actually get to do something for your children yourself, I hope in the future I can do something similar for my kids when I have them.

Where did you get the sprites from? Are you making these yourself?
#3  December 09, 2010, 08:41:58 pm
    • USA
The sprites are from Maple Story, using the Banned Story emulator.  It allows me to create characters and save spritesheets.  It's super easy, and that's part of what makes me so certain that, once the coding is done, copycats and clones are so imminent...
#4  December 17, 2010, 01:49:39 pm
  • I must be allergic to money cos I never have it
Actually, if you use remixes and fan-made versions of the music, you wouldn't get sued (although credits and permission should be considered).

Oh, and you might want to reduce the bevelling in "Hogwarts", It makes the text look terrible. Fix it later when you are done with the main stuff and are fixing the superficial stuff, though.

The game looks fun, BTW.
3d rocks!
#5  December 17, 2010, 08:25:49 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
[img]
When I started this, I sent letters to Bloomsbury and Scholastic, the UK and US book publishers, explaining what I had planned.  So far, I've heard nothing from them, and that's fine by me.  If I ever get a C&D, though, I will; I'm not doing this to piss anyone off.

Probably because Bloomsbury & Scholastic aren't the IP owners of Harry Potter, Warner Bros is. And if WB's stance on Terrordrome was any indication, then I'd say a C&D would be imminent.
#6  December 17, 2010, 09:22:20 pm
    • USA
Wow, I bet you're right.  I always kinda assumed that JK Rowling wouldn't sue some dude who just wanted to make a game for his kids, but I'm pretty sure Warner Bros would.  Looking through their pending and past litigation, it seems like they're eager to sue just about anybody.

Still, using these chibi sprites and stages that are NOT directly from the movie, I can claim a sort of distance.  I like the idea of fan-made music, too...