YesNoOk

On catastrophic computer failure... (Read 15026 times)

Started by Liquid Jake, July 10, 2014, 09:00:58 am
On catastrophic computer failure...
#1  July 10, 2014, 09:00:58 am
    • USA
I didn't lose anything, don't get nervous.

I found the Mugen community and this forum seven years ago, because I'm a conceited jerk and I wanted to put myself in a Mortal Kombat game, and this seemed like a good way to do it.  I lurked around the Guild and watched and read and learned and quickly came to an unarguable conclusion;

The Computer Gods hate Mugen.

It seemed like every few weeks someone would show up here with great ideas and grand visions and they'd beg for help and they'd raise support and generate hype and put up a few awesome screenshots or a couple fascinating Youtube videos, and then they'd come back and say that their computer crashed and they'd lost everything.  Once or twice would have been understandable, but again, every few weeks for seven years.  That sounded like a lot of computers failing for no reason, and I kind of wanted to raise my bullshit flag and call these people lazy quitters.  But I didn't.  Until just now, anyway.

Three years ago I got a shiny new HP laptop for Father's Day.  It was my first real honest-to-goodness new computer.  I've had several computers, but they're always machines that I've built myself, out of parts and pieces that were often bought used or just lying around.  That was also just about the time I started this silly project.  It took me awhile to get used to Mugen on a high-def widescreen monitor, but I managed to suffer through and persevere, and I banged away on that thing for the last three years.

My first new computer is also my first computer to fail for no reason.  Just a black screen on boot one day, and a Google search from a different machine says that's not all that uncommon with HP laptops.  Crap.

As the reigning nerd king I already own enough cords and cables and adapters to plug anything in my house into just about anything else in my house, so I now type this on the old desktop that my kids play on, with the laptop's hard drive hanging off the front of it.  Again, I've lost nothing, but this machine is now about as disease-laden as Miley Cyrus' hot-tub, and it's awfully damn slow.  However, there is a certain sense of unity in finishing my Hogwarts project on the machine I started it on and, for the record, it's glorious to see my Mugen creation in its native resolution;  It's so much prettier when it's full-screen.

I bring this up just so I can take back all the bad things I didn't say;  I'm sorry I doubted you, sufferers of failed machines, but your devices failed for no reason and you lost all your hard work and one thing, at the end, is crystal clear:

The Computer Gods hate Mugen.
Re: On catastrophic computer failure...
#2  July 10, 2014, 09:15:50 am
    • UK
    • strides2glory.com/
Exact same problem with HP laptops especially the pavilion series. All of them have failed within 1 year and a half of the same black screen problem. It's caused by the pins on the motherboard being melted into the circuits by the excessive heat the laptop generates.  Terrible and cheaply made laptop I'd honestly recommend you stay away from HP. Go Japanese: Sony or Toshiba.