YesNoOk

Jean Grey by Topper (Edit by CidLover1) (Read 45208 times)

Started by CidLover1, July 19, 2016, 07:50:27 am
Share this topic:
Jean Grey by Topper (Edit by CidLover1)
#1  July 19, 2016, 07:50:27 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
Finally got back into MUGEN and got inspired to do an edit of Topper's Jean Grey.

Jean Grey Originally created by Topper
(Hit/Guard Spark system isn't mine.  If you're the creator and you are watching this, let me know who you are and I'll credit you)

Here, I try to showcase a few of the changes I made to Jean Grey in addition to those shown in the previous video.  They are all listed below:

Special Attack "Mental Spikes - D,DF,F+Punch" returns with straightened trajectory with Strength System (Harder the punch, the faster the spike travels).  Can be done midair.

NEW Special Attack "Mirror Image - D,D+Punch" added.  Jean Summons a clone of herself to attack enemies from afar.

Lvl 2 Hyper "TK Shield - D,DB,B,D,DB,B+Punch" Lasts longer and survives more hits.

The biggest change is the addition of "Dark Phoenix Mode - START Button", which replaces Jean's original Taunt.  In Dark Phoenix Mode, her attack power is heightened slightly and her energy bar regenerates over time.  However, her defense is lowered and her health drains as the fight progresses (Not shown due to Training Mode).  Her attacks also change, though some were present in the initial build (Infernal Spike, Phoenix Trap).

All Standing and Crouching Punches becomes unchainable fire projectiles.

Crouching Heavy Kick becomes a sliding Trip Kick that sets the target aflame.

All other standard attacks remain the same.

Special Attack "Infernal Spike - D,DF,F+Punch" replaces Mental Spike.

Special Attack "Phoenix Trap - D,D+Punch" Replaces Mirror Image.  Dark Phoenix summons a stationary trap.  The light punch version is summoned on the ground and is triggered when the opponent steps on it by firing a projectile straight up.  Furthermore, its placement can be changed by holding Forward or Back until the trap is set.  The medium punch version is summoned in the air, and is triggered when the opponent is airborne by firing a projectile straight forward.  The hard punch version is summoned close to Dark Phoenix, and triggers automatically after a set amount of time by firing a projectile upwards at an angle.

NEW Special Attack "Firebird Uppercut - D,DF,F+Kick" replaces Special Attack "Telekinesis - D,DF,F+Kick".  Dark Phoenix launches into the air attacking the enemy with an uppercut.  The light kick version hits once with shorter range.  The medium kick version hits twice with slightly longer range.  The heavy kick version hits five times and has the longest range.

Special Attacks "Mental Counter - D,DB,B+Punch" and "Telekinetic Hold - D,DB,B+Kick" are removed in Dark Phoenix Mode.

NEW Lvl 1 Hyper "True Phoenix Upper - D,DF,F,D,DF,F+Punch" replaces Telekinetic Beam.  Dark Phoenix attacks the opponent with three powerfull uppercuts.

NEW Lvl 1 Hyper "Meteor Shower - D,DF,F,D,DF,F+Kick" replaces Hyper Telekinesis.  Dark Phoenix calls a barrage of meteors to attack the entire field for a time (approx. 15 seconds)

NEW Lvl 2 Hyper "Power Seal - D,DB,B,D,DB,B+Punch" replaces Telekinetic Shield.  Dark Phoenix lanches an invisible projectile at the opponent.  If hit by it, the opponent will unable to perform ANY Special or Hyper moves for a time (apporx 25 seconds).

NEW Lvl 3 Hyper "Phoenix Destruction - D,DB,B,D,DB,B+Kick" replaces Phoenix Force.  Dark Phoenix unleashes a pulse of energy.  If it connects, she will use her full power to burn all enemies who come in contact with her.

UPDATE (17 Aug 2016):

Here are a few things I've recently finished working on.

The Phoenix Dive from MVC3 has been added to both Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix.  I decided not to make the move a DP-Exclusive.  The attack slams the opponent to the ground when it connects and can hit the opponent while lying down and bounce them back up a short distance to allow for longer combos.  However, it will only connect up to 4 times, less when used in a combo.

Telekinesis has been updated with a more refined look and slightly better controls.  I've also added extensions to it.  Pressing different attack buttons will give you different results:

-LP and LK will let go of the opponent.  This will also occur after 150 game ticks have passed.
-MP will attack the target's Hyper Gauge, lowering it by about 500 point while doing minor damage to their health.
-MK will throw the opponent and use them as a projectile to do damage to their partner.
-HP and HK will slam the target against the wall, causing them to bounce back and allow Jean to combo them further.

Mirror Image now has distance alteration which changes according to which Punch is used.  LP=short, MP=Mid-Screen, HP=Full-Screen.

A new move called Firebird Stance was added to Dark Phoenix.  Using either QCF+K or QCB+K, Dark Phoenix will either advance upwards or retreat upwards, respectively.  While floating, Dark Phoenix can press a combination of Punch, Kick, and Directional buttons to perform additional moves.

-Pressing any punch button will perform the Infernal Spike.
-Pressing Down and a Punch button will perform the move Phoenix Pinion, a move where DP summons a pillar of fire in front of her to both protect her from enemy projectiles and do damage to the enemy.  Where the pillar is cast changes according to which punch button is used.
-Pressing any Kick button will perform the new Flare Kick move, a flying kick where DP's foot is engulfed in flame.  The distance and strength varies according to which Kick button is used.
-Pressing Down and a Kick Button will perform her Teleport move named Firebird Transmission.  It is the same as her grounded Teleport.

In lieu of the addition of Firebird Stance, the command for Phoenix Upper was changed from "QCF+K" to "F,D,DF+P"

----EX Moves (Will Switch between Jean and Phoenix Mode)----
-(Jean) EX Phoenix Upper (F,D,DF + 2xPunch)
-(Jean) EX Firebird Punch (QCB + 2xPunch)
-(Dark Phoenix) EX Psychic Shot (QCF + 2xPunch)
-(Dark Phoenix) EX Mirror Image (D,D + 2xPunch)

Update (28 Aug 2016):

A few more additions.  I'll do another full showcase before I release her as she is just about finished.  Here are the moves I added.

----Jean Grey----
-(Lvl 2 Hyper) Celestial Flame (QCB,HCF + Punch) - Transforms into Dark Phoenix and summons a large beam of flame to immensely damage the enemy.

----Dark Phoenix----
-Firebird Punch (QCB + Punch / Firebird Stance ~ Fwd + Punch) - Lunges forward and punches the enemy.  Can be done midair.
-(Lvl 2 Hyper) Celestial Flame (QCB,HCF + Punch) - Summons a large beam of flame to immensely damage the enemy.

Update (8 Sept 2016):

Behold, the last attacks I planned to add to Jean Grey.

Psychosis - D,DB,B+Punch - Uses Telekinesis and Telepathy to plant a trap that stuns the opponent should it come in contact with them (Cause dizzy for about 10 seconds)

EX Psychosis (DP -> Jean) - D,DB,B+2xPunch - creates Psychosis Trap and throws it at the enemy.  (Costs 500 Power Points)

(Desperation) The Astral Plane Endsong - QCB, HCF+Kick - Unleashes Full-Screen pulse of psionic energy.  If the attack connects, Jean will lift the targets into the air and send them into the Astral Plane to do massive damage to both the Power Meter and Health Meter.  This move attacks the Power Meter until it is depleted, then it will drain the Health Meter.

She is finally ready.  The Download link is below.  I've included the stage I used in my videos (Death Valley Mountain by EXShadow) along with both tracks I used in the first two. NOTE: The file is hefty, so it may take a while depending on your Network connection.

Below is her full updated movelist:

=======Both ========

Phoenix Dive - (In Air) D+HK

======= Jean Grey =======

Mental Spike - QCF+P
Telekinesis - QCF+K
]Psychosis - QCB+P
Mental Counter - F,D,DF+P
Telekinetic Hold - QCB+K
***Release - LP/LK
***Mental Crush - MP
***Telekinetic Fling - MK
***Telekinetic Sling - HP/HK
Mirror Image - D,D+P
Teleport - D,D+K

EX Firebird Punch (Jean ~ Phoenix) - QCB+2xPunch
EX Phoenix Upper (Jean ~ Phoenix) - F, D, DF+2xPunch

Telekinetic Beam (LVL 1) - QCF, QCF+P
Hyper Telekinesis (LVL 1) - QCF, QCF+K
Telekinetic Shield (LVL 2) - QCB, QCB+P
Celestial Flame (LVL 2) (Jean ~ Phoenix) - QCB, HCF+P
Phoenix Force (LVL 3) - QCB, QCB+K
The Astral Plane Endsong (LVL 3, Life must be less than 200 points) - QCB, HCF+K

Mood Shift - START Button

======= Dark Phoenix =======

Infernal Spike - QCF+P
Firebird Uppercut - F,D,DF+P
Phoenix Trap - D,D+P
Teleport - D,D+K
Firebird Punch - QCB+P
Firebird Advance - QCF+K
***Infernal Spike - P
***Phoenix Pinion - D+P
***Firebird Punch - F+P
***Flare Kick - K
***Firebird Transmission - D+K
Firebird Retreat - QCB+K
***Infernal Spike - P
***Phoenix Pinion - D+P
***Firebird Punch - F+P
***Flare Kick - K
***Firebird Transmission - D+K

EX Psychic Shot (Phoenix ~ Jean) - QCF+2xPunch
EX Mirror Image (Phoenix ~ Jean) - D, D+2xPunch
EX Psychosis (Phoenix ~ Jean) - D,DB,B+2xPunch

True Phoenix Upper (LVL 1) - QCF, QCF+P
Meteor Shower (LVL 1) - QCF, QCF+K
Power Seal (LVL 2) - QCB, QCB+P
Celestial Flame (LVL 2) - QCB, HCF+P
Phoenix Destruction (LVL 3) - QCB, QCB+K

Mood Shift - START Button

---------------------------------------------------------------

========== Download Link ==========

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m00t4yq3ctkmdbj/JeanGrey_AvX.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------
I will be working on a viable AI for her, complete with Stage-Sensitive Intros and Boss-Mode Moves.  Until then, I hope you all enjoy her!  Thanks for your support, everybody!!
"You must love the distance as much as you love the heart it is keeping you from."

~Utada Hikaru~
Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:07:00 am by CidLover1
Re: Jean Grey by Topper (Edit by CidLover1)
#2  July 19, 2016, 07:56:41 am
  • Niigasan
Damn dude she's looking real good man foreeal
#3  July 19, 2016, 08:05:34 am
  • Losing isn't an exception
yes i agree with hairline you've taken this jean grey to a whole new other level. good job this char is very promising. are you planning on doing other marvel characters if so plz do magneto. this is a very good edit of jean keep it up.
#4  July 19, 2016, 08:21:27 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
"You must love the distance as much as you love the heart it is keeping you from."

~Utada Hikaru~
#5  July 19, 2016, 08:22:20 am
  • Niigasan
Hey man u might wanna put this in the project thread cuz hee not finished yet and thus not a release, somebody reported you instead of just telling you where stuff like goes, it's so annoying
#6  July 19, 2016, 08:26:21 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
yes i agree with hairline you've taken this jean grey to a whole new other level. good job this char is very promising. are you planning on doing other marvel characters if so plz do magneto. this is a very good edit of jean keep it up.

Thanks, Kenshin!  I actually was thinking of editing a Storm or a Magneto after I finished up Jean.  I'm thinking Magneto will come first since I want to alternate between genders.  Glad you like Jean, though.  I still have two special moves to code into Dark Phoenix and an AI.

~Utada Hikaru~
#7  July 19, 2016, 08:26:55 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
Hey man u might wanna put this in the project thread cuz hee not finished yet and thus not a release, somebody reported you instead of just telling you where stuff like goes, it's so annoying

Oh right!  It's been a while.  Thanks.  Consider it moved.

~Utada Hikaru~
#8  July 19, 2016, 10:38:56 am
no words...man no words

stellar work

lui

#9  July 19, 2016, 10:41:01 am
    • USA

reporting isnt like reporting a crime, reporting is simply telling the mods that something is up, doesnt always mean its bad. this isn't something to complain about and you make it seem like reporting is like filing a police report.
Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:48:48 am by Walruslui
#10  July 19, 2016, 02:58:17 pm
    • USA
    • tsthomas2121@yahoo.com
Jean looks epic man. I love those Dark Phoenix hypers. I am glad that you are thinking about editing Magneto.
#11  July 19, 2016, 03:30:57 pm
  • Niigasan

reporting isnt like reporting a crime, reporting is simply telling the mods that something is up, doesnt always mean its bad. this isn't something to complain about and you make it seem like reporting is like filing a police report.
All he had to do was tell him that it's in the wrong section, it'smy opinion and u got yours.
#12  July 19, 2016, 10:35:55 pm
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
Jean looks epic man. I love those Dark Phoenix hypers. I am glad that you are thinking about editing Magneto.

Thanks for the input!  Yeah, I haven't seen a whole lot of Magneto.  He is such an awesome character with a lot of potential.

~Utada Hikaru~
#13  July 19, 2016, 10:38:49 pm
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA

All he had to do was tell him that it's in the wrong section, it'smy opinion and u got yours.

Now now, you two.  We can agree that someone would have informed me of my posting mistake no matter method taken.  I wouldn't have been offended or upset if that person were a moderator.  I would have thanked them for reminding me all the same.  :)

~Utada Hikaru~
#14  July 20, 2016, 12:11:53 am
  • Losing isn't an exception
I really love the dark phoenix mode it really give the char depth and it brings the character to life. In the comics jean could stay regular or go into phoenix mode so this would be the older jean Grey. By all means the character is super accurate. Continue the good work. And for this being your first edit you nailed it good.

#15  July 20, 2016, 02:49:13 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
I really love the dark phoenix mode it really give the char depth and it brings the character to life. In the comics jean could stay regular or go into phoenix mode so this would be the older jean Grey. By all means the character is super accurate. Continue the good work. And for this being your first edit you nailed it good.

Thank you so much!  Jean happens to be my favorite comic book heroine/villan, so hearing I paid her homage does my heart good.  I do have a few more things planned for her before her release, so stay tuned and I hope you like her!

~Utada Hikaru~
#16  July 20, 2016, 07:23:49 am
I hope she has greater or should I say better control using her telekinesis grab...the original coding was kind of wonky...caliban from AvX has a good code for it because he has the same move as she got right now and what is shown in your video except his works a little better.

I think she should have astral plane hyper or move since all of psychic users in mugen has one i.e. prof x, emma frost, and birdy to a lesser degree.

Thanos by Alucard/scruffy dragon has a move/code that turns chars into stone...that could be an idea for her since she can manipulate matter

she could use a flight mode or at least a slow descent move enabled like AvX chars

it would be nice if there was some kind of effect for her normal block like a pink something in front her while guarding...I don't see jean just blocking with her normal arm.

during her phoenix mode it seems you are using some ideas from marvel vs Capcom 3...I see sprites she has that would work well enough for her straight down dive kick from that game...you might like it better than the uppercut.

these are just some thoughts though...even as you have her now she looks cool and better.

thanks for working on this.
#17  July 20, 2016, 11:18:35 pm
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
I hope she has greater or should I say better control using her telekinesis grab...the original coding was kind of wonky...caliban from AvX has a good code for it because he has the same move as she got right now and what is shown in your video except his works a little better.

I think she should have astral plane hyper or move since all of psychic users in mugen has one i.e. prof x, emma frost, and birdy to a lesser degree.

Thanos by Alucard/scruffy dragon has a move/code that turns chars into stone...that could be an idea for her since she can manipulate matter

she could use a flight mode or at least a slow descent move enabled like AvX chars

it would be nice if there was some kind of effect for her normal block like a pink something in front her while guarding...I don't see jean just blocking with her normal arm.

during her phoenix mode it seems you are using some ideas from marvel vs Capcom 3...I see sprites she has that would work well enough for her straight down dive kick from that game...you might like it better than the uppercut.

these are just some thoughts though...even as you have her now she looks cool and better.

thanks for working on this.

Valid.  I do intend on improving the movement and control of Telekinesis as I found it a little cheap (You can use it for an infinite combo by doing SHP -> Telekinesis Reposition -> SHP...) and jarring.  I've done Telekinesis skills in the past (if you recall, my Cid had Telekinesis) so this will be an easy fix.

I actually was thinking about an Astral hyper, but I'm stumped on what kind.  I thought of using a hyper variant of her Mirror Image special and adding a background explode to it.  Hmmmm.  Any ideas?

I actually gave the Dark Phoenix version a move called "Stasis Freeze" where she would hit the opponent with a projectile that would freeze them in place ala Sub-Zero, but couldn't seem to make sense of it so I ended up scrapping it.  Maybe I could add it back with a stipulation...

Dark Phoenix actually DOES have the midair falling kick, and both version float by jumping and holding UP while falling.  I forgot to show them, but both are there.  :)  The Floating technique was native to the original Jean and seemed befitting, so I left it.

Yes!  I actually am modeling the Dark Phoenix version after her MVC3 incarnation.  I'm glad it was noticed!!

Thanks for your input.  It was appreciated.  Glad she's turning out better than my previous Jean Grey from years ago.  lol

~Utada Hikaru~
#18  July 21, 2016, 05:50:03 am
"
I actually was thinking about an Astral hyper, but I'm stumped on what kind.  I thought of using a hyper variant of her Mirror Image special and adding a background explode to it.  Hmmmm.  Any ideas?"

yeah yep it could work just like that...just like the others... make her transparent and add the background of your choosing...usually it's a big x on the screen or something pink and smokey idk.

you have the sprite of her touching her head with both hands be free to attack if you make it just a special move

also yeah I would still add effect on her standard block
#19  July 21, 2016, 06:17:28 am
sorry for double post my quote and edit is not working

anyway

the stasis could work as long as you show something to denote that is happening...Arkady usually puts a little description bar in the lower corner with text describing what's happening.. i.e. exodus will do "intangibility

to further make more apparent you can add a sprite over player 2 that shows they are being held in place with pink effects encircling them.

with the telekinesis move...she could grab them move them left or right up and down like she does normally, but to make it different you have her "force push" them once she has them up to the ceiling, floor, towards her, or at the wall by pushing different punch or kick buttons...that is to say punch button "force pushes" them towards the wall, kick button forces them toward the floor....so on and so forth.

i'm a little vocal because you are doing a great job on her and I'm tired of the other mugen psychics getting all the power/love when she should be trumping them.

anyway good stuff

now i'm really curious of what you could do with magneto
#20  July 21, 2016, 08:22:15 am
  • gimme ur TEA!!!!!
    • USA
yeah yep it could work just like that...just like the others... make her transparent and add the background of your choosing...usually it's a big x on the screen or something pink and smokey idk.

you have the sprite of her touching her head with both hands be free to attack if you make it just a special move

also yeah I would still add effect on her standard block
the stasis could work as long as you show something to denote that is happening...Arkady usually puts a little description bar in the lower corner with text describing what's happening.. i.e. exodus will do "intangibility

to further make more apparent you can add a sprite over player 2 that shows they are being held in place with pink effects encircling them.

with the telekinesis move...she could grab them move them left or right up and down like she does normally, but to make it different you have her "force push" them once she has them up to the ceiling, floor, towards her, or at the wall by pushing different punch or kick buttons...that is to say punch button "force pushes" them towards the wall, kick button forces them toward the floor....so on and so forth.

i'm a little vocal because you are doing a great job on her and I'm tired of the other mugen psychics getting all the power/love when she should be trumping them.

anyway good stuff

now i'm really curious of what you could do with magneto

I've already added the block effect, as I agree with Jean not blocking with her arms.

As for the Telekinesis,  My plan is as follows:

Set up Telekinesis as it is.  Then edit it so the controls are better, and have it also add extensions such as the ones you suggested, but have them cost a bit of meter so that they can't be overused.  Once 60 ticks have passed or she runs out of meter, she'll drop the target.  The extensions would be these---

LP/LK - Drop opponent and end Telekinesis (This will be free since it does no damage)
MP - "Crumple" the opponent, doing mental damage while damaging their Hyper Meter (Costs 200 Meter points)
MK - Throw the enemy, dealing physical damage while using them as a projectile to do damage to their teammates. (Costs 200 Meter Points)
HP - Fling the opponent against the wall, causing them to bounce off the wall back towards Jean for combos.  (Costs 300 Meter points)
HK - Slam the opponent on the ground, doing heavy damage while creating a shockwave that disorients their teammates Costs 300 Meter Points)
Directional Buttons - Move the enemy around.  (Costs 10 Meter Points every 5 ticks)

-----------------

I'm thinking about redoing Stasis Freeze, changing the target's PalFX and using small sparks to show that they are stuck in place.  Simple enough, I'm hoping.

I also thought about giving Dark Phoenix a projectile counter where she would absorb the opponent's projectile to create one of her own.

As far as Magneto goes, I would need to play around with him a bit more.  I do know I would give him Jean's Telekinesis system.  Since he controls metal as well as electromagnetic fields, it would make sense for him to be able to control the field around the opponent.  I'll think of other things once the time comes.

~Utada Hikaru~