YesNoOk

How to use Joy2Key (Read 32915 times)

Started by Ignatius, August 25, 2003, 01:36:12 pm
Share this topic:
How to use Joy2Key
New #1  August 25, 2003, 01:36:12 pm
How To Use Joy2Key ?
by Xltima

If you want to play MUGEN with a USB gamepad (or even 2), use the Joy2Key program. URL : http://www.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/

The program comes with a Readme file on how to use it, but I think some parts are kinda hard to understand. It's pretty simple to figure out though.

Basically, Joy2Key pretends your USB controller is part of the keyboard, therefore your computer will think that you're actually pressing keys on the keyboard. This works great for any old-ish games without up-to-date USB stuff.
To configure Joy2Key, follow the steps below.

1. Start Joy2Key
2. Go to File, then 'Create new config'
3. Then add a name of config (basically whatever you want, I personally put Mugen Config)
4. Then your new config name should be highlighted on the left side. Now you see on the right side a whole list of buttons and disable stuff.

:::Note::: When you are configuring this part you gotta know your assigned Keys in Mugen. Like key button 'a' does 'Left'. something like that because you will need to bind those keys to the gamepad buttons.

5. Aight. Now, highlight the row "left" by clicking.
6. Then, go to Auto Setting Wizard at the bottom.
7. Then input each command/button on your USB controller as you see (if you're following step-by-step)
8. Now, you're ready to check & play some funk-hoppin' Mugen

There are 2 things to do before starting Mugen.

1. Leave Joy2Key program running or just minimize it. You'll see the Joy2key thing in the icon tray.
2. Check if USB controller is proprely installed and calibrated in Control Panel.

Now, to test if Joy2key is working, open Wordpad or whatever text editor and start pressing buttons on your USB pad. If all is okay, you will see the keys typed in. This test is an easier way to find out, than to keep restarting mugen over and over...

Thanks for reading.
Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 06:06:14 pm by Ignatius
Re:How to use Joy2Key
#2  November 27, 2003, 03:45:20 am
  • I'm a llama!
My controller isn't connected to a USB port; it plugs into the a serial port.  Why is it that the buttons work but the control pad doesn't respond?  J2K works with other programs, so what's wrong?
#3  February 11, 2004, 01:40:42 am
  • I am above the law!!!
you don't need joy to key for 2 players you can go to the mugen config file and activate player 2 by putting 1 next to joyp2=0
are you ken?
#4  March 28, 2004, 11:08:21 pm
  • I'm a llama!
okay im using joy2key and i have problems configuring the arrow keys for moving the character but i have no problem with the players acions such as punching or kicking
#5  March 29, 2004, 02:28:46 pm
NB: this topic isn't for asking for help; head over to the help section for that.