YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 557316 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Doctor Who Thread
#1  January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
I've been watching it since I was a little kid, back when Peter Davison was the Doctor (who still happens to be my favorite).

It tends to flow in and out of my obsessive mind over the years.
Right now I'm on a big Doctor Who kick because I recently discovered that I get BBC America on my cable and they have been running marathons of the latest episodes. 
Now I've been scouring through YouTube, Veoh, and Dailymotion for as many of the old shows I can find.

I've seen all of the 5th, 9th and (probably) all of the 4th Doctor's (Tom Baker, who I met as a kid and got his autograph) episodes, some of the 6th's and 7th's and almost none of the 1st through 3rd's.

The Ninth Doctor was great and it was a shame he only lasted for 1 season. He's the guy that played Destro in the new GI Joe movie.
I only missed a handful David Tennant's episodes but I thought he did a great job. The new guy is really young and its' a bit of a put off. He's also a little retarded looking, but I had the similar feelings about Tennant so I should have no trouble giving this guy a chance.

Anyway, am I the only one here that likes the show?
Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:34:44 pm by Iced
Re: Does anybody like Doctor Who????
#2  October 29, 2013, 03:38:28 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Hi, I want to revive this thread instead to make a new one to reunite Doctor Who fans out there in the forum :)

Yes, I become a whovian (Doctor Who fan) few time ago. I've seen good part of Ninth Doctor and various chapters from the Tenth, also, I'm seeing the very first season with the First Doctor (the 1963 series) via online. And well, since The Day of the Doctor is upcoming, I think it's a good time to make (or in this case, revive) a thread to talk about the Doctor, the TARDIS, the enemies like Daleks, Zygons, Cybermen and Autons, and so on.

So, let's start with this :D

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:25:59 pm by Basara Kusanagi
#3  October 29, 2013, 07:51:27 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
What's a Anton? Don't you mean Auton?

Also hi. Whovian since 2005. I've watched all of the Doctors except 1st and second. I am very hyped for Day of the Doctor,  mostly because it combines my 2 favourite Doctors and we might finally get to see the Time War.

Out of  interest,  who's your lots favourite Doctor?
#4  October 29, 2013, 11:56:48 pm
    • Chile
Yeah, Auton, my bad :P

My favourite is Ninth Doctor, I started to see the new series first and later I was interested on classic series. My other favourites are the First, the Fourth and the Tenth

Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#5  October 30, 2013, 12:14:56 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Yo, what's up?  I've been a Doctor Who fan for about two years now.  Oddly enough it was the Doctor Whooves character from MLP that got me curious in the first place, and now it's evolved into yet another weird nerdy obsession of mine.  I've watched the entire rebooted series, from 2005 onward, and then went back and started the classic series from the beginning.  I've finished the 1st Doctor's entire run (including the slide-show reconstructions of the lost episodes) and I'm about halfway through the 2nd Doctor.

Also, Patrick Troughton is the best Doctor. It is a downright tragedy that so much of his tenure on the show has been lost to the ages.
#6  October 30, 2013, 02:39:23 am
    • UK
Are you guys going to watch Day of the Doctor in cinema or at home?
I'm not sure yet as my girlfriend's supposed to be coming down from America and I want to watch it with her so I dunno
#7  October 30, 2013, 03:47:12 am
    • USA
I'm going to see it in the theater.  I'm going to have to drive all the way up to Montreal for it, but I'm going.
#8  October 30, 2013, 09:50:16 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
I work part time three days a week so I'm 99% sure no one will bat an eyelash if I request off for one day.  I am going to be there.  I missed RiffTrax's live riff of Night of the Living Dead but I refuse to miss this.
#9  October 30, 2013, 09:31:37 pm
    • Chile
I'm going to see it in theatres, too. Also, there's a DW event here in Santiago for the anniversary, I think I'll going to cosplay as one of the doctors, probably the First one... or the Ninth one if I shaved my hair :P

Posted: October 30, 2013, 09:33:44 pm
Also, I found this, so I leave you here:
http://www.seriesyonkis.com/serie/doctor-who-serie-original
It's the complete First Doctor series online, mostly with spanish subtitles, but also has the option of no subtitles ;)

#10  October 30, 2013, 09:42:15 pm
    • USA
On another note, who's looking forward to Peter Capaldi?

#11  October 30, 2013, 09:53:06 pm
Convincing and cool. Too bad that's not happening. I don't know the guy beside all those quick summary videos, so I wonder how much he'll hold back or let loose.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#12  October 30, 2013, 10:05:43 pm
    • USA
Well, if you want to see him as something other than Malcolm Tucker he actually was in Doctor Who once before, in The Fires of Pompeii.

http://youtu.be/QyaP6mWVSjE?t=50s

He seems like he'll be able to to the job.  Besides that, I'm glad to see the Doctor going back to being an older guy.  Matt Smith did a fine job, but when he leaves I can only pray he takes all of those shrieking fangirls with him.
#13  October 30, 2013, 10:27:54 pm
    • UK
Did they say whether they're having a new writer or is it still Moffat?
Also im glad that this Doctor is going to be played by a older actor as well. No offence to Matt or David, but honestly, the "old man in a young body" thing is getting old. Maybe with Capaldi, we'll get to finally see the effects of travelling around time and space for 1200 years.

Also, I found this, so I leave you here:
http://www.seriesyonkis.com/serie/doctor-who-serie-original
It's the complete First Doctor series online, mostly with spanish subtitles, but also has the option of no subtitles ;)
:bison:
Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:33:00 pm by 1Ultima
#14  October 30, 2013, 10:39:32 pm
Well, if you want to see him as something other than Malcolm Tucker he actually was in Doctor Who once before, in The Fires of Pompeii.
Yeah, I remember that episode, but it's no hint about how he'll be as the Doctor :P I don't doubt he's a good actor with a good range on the scale of verbal decency. I'm curious if he'll be more proactive and aggressive (but less emo than some of Tennant's episodes).
Also im glad that this Doctor is going to be played by a older actor as well. No offence to Matt or David, but honestly, the "old man in a young body" thing is getting old. Maybe with Capaldi, we'll get to finally see the effects of travelling around time and space for 1200 years.
Seconded. But it's not 1200, is it ? It was 900 with Tennant (904 IIRC), Smith passed 1000 but then mailed his previous self back in that one episode, and I don't remember a point where 300 more years passed, was there something like that ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#15  October 30, 2013, 10:43:36 pm
    • UK
I think the latest series put it to 1200.
I know that it's over 1000.

Also apparently,  they're going to explain why Capaldi was in Fires of Pompeii. I dunno why they're bothering though. Karen Gillen was In Fires of Pompeii and they didn't explain that so...
#16  October 30, 2013, 10:49:29 pm
    • USA
That bit was pretty wonky, timeline-wise.  IIRC, Eleven was 1200 in the scene at the beach with the astronaut, and then sent for the Ponds, River, and his own younger self to arrive there.  The 900-year-old one was the one that was followed throughout that season, and then towards the end he spends about 300 years travelling alone attempting to avoid meeting his 'fate' back at the beach.

Then later he goes and tells Clara he's only 1000 years old and throws big-ass wrench into everything else.
#17  October 31, 2013, 12:05:32 am
    • UK
To be fair, the Doctor has always changed his age throughout his regenerations

Re: astronaut storyline,  what did you think of it?
#18  November 04, 2013, 01:59:10 am
    • Chile
I like Capaldi, looks like the first 3 Doctors which are all old guys and badasses. Also, Capaldi is the oldest Doctor apart of William Hartnell, the First Doctor, I'll be expecting about the change in the Xmas event

#19  November 07, 2013, 01:33:41 am
    • USA
Handful of new screenshots from The Day of The Doctor:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#20  November 09, 2013, 04:50:16 pm
    • UK

Day of the Doctor trailer. Looks alright.