YesNoOk

SHADEs of Manhattan 3: City of Chaos - Opinions wanted (Read 64469 times)

Started by Sean Altly, November 21, 2013, 07:57:54 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Which type of fighting style/background would you like to see my new character "Elle" have? Note: This is gauge opinion and may not guarantee the final gameplay of the character.

MI6 (A) - Mix of defensive martial arts and James Bond-style gadgets/weapons
19 (35.2%)
MI6 (B) - No weapons, more elegant and complex martial arts movements (i.e. Lili, Karin, Hotaru)
24 (44.4%)
Bounty Hunter - street fighting-style attacks with non-lethal weaponry such as tasers and bean-bag guns
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: January 14, 2014, 09:46:59 pm

Re: SHADEs of Manhattan 3: City of Chaos - Opinions wanted
#101  January 07, 2014, 12:59:19 am
The bounty hunter idea is great and I hope it will be revisited in another one of your games or something, but since the SHADEs roster is lacking on entirely martial arts focused characters I'd roll with that.

All I can hope is that you will draw inspiration from real Martial Arts and not give us *insert generic move here*, not to say that I expect that of you. Here's hoping her moveset is based on Shaolin Kung Fu/Jeet Kune Do ( I knowboth are unlikely  :()
#102  January 07, 2014, 08:13:19 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
@CVSNB

Awesome man. If that were animated I'd use it for the title screen for sure. The color schemes for the first two SHADEs games have been mostly cool colors, like blue and purple, so I plan on making things more red and orange in SHADEs 3 as a contrast, so that fits really well. What's the writing below the "3" though? I think it's a bit out of place regardless considering the setting and themes of the SHADEs games.

@Cazaki

I'm not a martial arts expert or anything, but I'd draw inspiration from the more elegant styles, like the examples I mentioned. I'm really leaning toward the bounty hunter thing more and more though.

Also, at this point I don't even know what people consider to be "generic" fighting game moves or gameplay any more. There's been so much criticism for "playing it safe" and stuff like that, when what I'm doing is trying to make a fighting game that feels like a real game, and that includes drawing inspiration from Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc. I get really frustrated sometimes because at some point people started expecting me to be somehow better or more creative than professionals. I make characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion and give them moves directly from their official games and people still pop up and say it's not good enough or, even worse, that they don't "feel like" them. When I released Scorpion someone even complained about me giving him his Inferno Kick (which is a backflip kick special move) and said it wasn't "original" and "didn't fit Scorpion at all" when in reality he had that exact move in several MK games, and most recently in Injustice. I pointed that out and it got glossed over. That is incredibly frustrating. I give people super moves that are "auto-combos" or super versions of their special moves, just like Capcom and SNK have done and still do, yet it ends up a point of derision, and I'm accused of not wanting to learn new things or of being lazy when all I'm trying to do is emulate the games I grew up playing. I never set out to reinvent the wheel. I'm not trying to outdo professionals. I don't see how any moveset I've designed is any worse or less creative than anything Capcom or SNK has been doing recently (save for maybe Phoenix Wright in UMVC3). When I do try to do things a little outside the box, like Sonic's item box system or Dark Nation's attack absorption system, it goes largely unnoticed.

Just to be clear, that's not me bitching at you specifically Cazaki, it's just something that's been on my mind and I wanted to get it off my chest.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:19:18 am by Altly/Alty/Atly
#103  January 07, 2014, 08:19:46 am
f or h has my interest can't wait to see what you do with her.

and I agree I believe your characters hold true to an actual fighting game format and in no way are you playing anymore safe then the professionals.  most people these days are probably expecting what blazblue does which has combos, special character moves that greatly effect each playstyle and gives them god like quality if used right, and their own unique specials not based on their basic skills
Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:23:35 am by ferretsshadow
#104  January 07, 2014, 05:29:26 pm
Well I see your point. Just do you.
#105  January 07, 2014, 05:36:50 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
I think the MI6 background seems more fitting for her character design but either choice should work out well enough and also which ever you dont choose could be used for a potential new male character in the future. Definitely looking forward to how this turns out

DW

#106  January 07, 2014, 06:57:33 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
It doesn't matter what you do or how well you do it, you'll always have a "critic" to say something about it. This applies to just about anything that can be critiqued. I wouldn't let it bother you though. It's nice that you ask all of us for help and opinions, but at the end of the day, these are your chars and your project. As long as you're happy with how things progress, then I'd say you're all good. Along with nothing being broken or anything. Gotta take the good with the bad. Part of the job description. :P
#107  January 07, 2014, 09:47:01 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Thanks guys. Soon I will be resurrecting the SHADEs board and moving CvTW to the inactive section for a while. I really just need to work on something of my own to get the juices flowing again. I'll probably have a poll or two up regarding the new characters. For now I've added a poll to this thread asking which fighting style you'd like to see Elle have.

Download Last Bout now!
#108  January 07, 2014, 09:49:25 pm
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
I go for MI6(A) I like Bond's fighting style

#109  January 07, 2014, 10:01:39 pm
  • Spriter-in-Training
  • Learning new ways to sprite
    • USA
    • Skype - altherprimus
I honestly think that Mi6 (B) seems the coolest and most unique compared to the other SHADES chars IMO.
Xan (on Skype) said:
Because fuck logic it's mugen

The reason I don't post more is because 1: I rarely have anything to say, and 2: I stink at saying it XP
#110  January 08, 2014, 12:41:32 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
im interested to see how the martial arts fighting style would be implemented, also castle looks amazing have you already decided a background/fighting style for him?
#111  January 08, 2014, 01:00:57 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Castle's just gonna be a big hard hitter type, with a vicious streak.

***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

I hinted in the first post that they're might be something big in line for the game. I want to go ahead and say that there was another sprite artist who had proposed converting the characters to hi-res sprites. We were both on board with the idea, and the big update of the sprites was the reason for there only being two new characters in SHADEs 3.

The bad news is we decided it's just an unrealistic amount of work and would take too much time to update the sprites like that. Instead, we decided to focus that energy on nicer stages and screenpack elements.

The good news is that means there's more time for new characters, so I can confirm that Castle and Elle will not be the only new characters. Snow, Sabotage, and Adamas will be getting updates to their existing sprites, while Zenith, Vesper, and Moses Maddigan will get all new sprites.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:07:59 am by Altly/Alty/Atly
#112  January 08, 2014, 01:10:03 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
2014 is looking like a good year so far
#113  January 08, 2014, 01:16:08 am
  • Mumbling voice actor reploid
    • Canada
    • electricvoiceboxmedia.com
Good to hear that Sean! Can't wait to see the new offerings. :)
#114  January 08, 2014, 01:59:53 am
I honestly think that Mi6 (B) seems the coolest and most unique compared to the other SHADES chars IMO.

Voted for MI6 (B) for the exact same reason.

That's cool too Sean. Will it be out of the characters previously discussed or new characters entirely?
#115  January 08, 2014, 03:04:55 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Not sure yet. After Image is a safe bet, and I personally like Gant. I also have a few new character designs I'm working on, including a character who would be an edit of Mr. X's sprites (like Dark Nation was an edit of Rorschach).

Also, I think for story purposes I need to have one or two characters be captured by The Collection Agency. It feels like after two games they should have caught someone, because if they haven't they'd be pretty incompetent. I'm leaning towards Wyldestar and Ruckus. They'd still be in the game as "bonus" playable characters, but storyline wise would not be a part of the plot due to being locked up by Maddicorp. Of course I could always just say they've captured several subjects who are nobodies/unnamed characters.

Download Last Bout now!
#116  January 08, 2014, 03:09:40 am
Well if Wlydestar and Ruckus aren't a component of the story at all then you might as well.
#117  January 08, 2014, 05:33:33 am
    • Brazil
I like the idea of an elegent fighting type for Elle, it would look beautiful.
#118  January 08, 2014, 05:59:03 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
The concept of Elle with a more elegant movelist is what I voted.  Though Sean, you mentioned of a possibility of mixing her playstyle with a stance mechanic unique to her like Gen and Lei Wulong.  If you were to add such, would it be to extend combos, give defense options like a quick dash back to attack, different playstyle, or something else?
#119  January 08, 2014, 05:50:51 pm
  • Mach Punch Zoning Arm
    • USA
    • Skype - Zero-Sennin
    • tinyurl.com/zstrinmu
I voted MI6(B). To me, it just fits her her visual design a lot better than either MI6(A) or even the street brawling style.
Youtube 
Twitter
Ask.fm
Zero-Sennin's Workshop
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> because you messed up?
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> well that's a fucking shame
[22:18] <Ebil_Homer> pick up your sucks

I don't provide old versions of my characters once they're updated. Please don't ask me for them.
#120  January 08, 2014, 10:28:23 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
I'd give her a mixture of both MI6 and the street fighting as agents can fight dirty if they need to.