YesNoOk

Most Overrated Fighting Game Series (Read 8803 times)

Started by Gezora, November 25, 2007, 10:45:03 am
Share this topic:
Most Overrated Fighting Game Series
#1  November 25, 2007, 10:45:03 am
  • I'm quite mad, you see....
I think we can all agree that Halo reigns king in the Most Overrated FPS department. But what about fighting games?

My personal vote goes for Virtua Fighter. Oft touted as "the greatest 3D fighter ever", I found the whole series almost unplayable, and I have found many who agree with me.

It was the learning curve. Far too steep for the casual gamer, and elitists who championed the series looked down and mocked those who treated it more like homework than anything fun (myself included). Flame me at your leisure.

What say you?
Re: Most Overrated Fighting Game Series
#2  November 25, 2007, 11:05:29 am
  • Coming Soon?
MvC2, Kof 2002, Kof 2001

although the last one probably is more worst game material more than most overrated.
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
#3  November 25, 2007, 02:10:58 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
VF is hardly overrated, if anything it's not rated at all in the mainstream because it's not exactly a 'pick up and play' type of game.  For me, Tekken was overrated... but that's mainly due to it gaining lots of updates and characters, but the engine remains nigh-on exactly the same regardless.

Saying that though, I'm not knocking Tekken... I loved Tekken 3, and slowly got into T5, but it was a definate 'instant favourite' here in the UK with the launch of the various PlayStations
#4  November 25, 2007, 08:56:11 pm
  • Master Of The Fist
Tekken, i really hate that game.
#5  November 26, 2007, 04:31:02 am
Dead or Alive. And it's not all that high-rated to begin with.
#6  November 26, 2007, 04:50:15 am
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
DOA, definately

DOA3 especially was an absolute pile of broken shit. Sup COUNTERING EVERY MOVE?!

yeah DOA is the most overrated pile. IMO the series is the Halo3 of fighting games

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********
#7  November 26, 2007, 11:02:31 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
MVC2 for 2D fighters. OMG big number of characters.

Definitely DOA for 3D fighters.
Virtua Fighter is not overrated IMO, it's even underrated, because people would rather have fun in 5 minutes rather than training hours to master a single character (which is somehow understandable if you don't have much time to train).

IMO, Virtua Fighter is to KOF what Tekken is to CVS (and what DOA is to MVC2).
#8  November 26, 2007, 06:00:00 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, doa might seem overrated except for the fact that hardly anybody accepts it as a good fighting game; maybe it is just an oversold game? imo, mortal kombat is the most overrated fighting game ever, followed closely by ki.
#9  November 26, 2007, 06:11:49 pm
  • Inner Beast
Haha....what I may say now is risky but i'm just putting my opinion across.
I think Street fighter is over rated... simply because it lacks what kof has AWESOME desperation moves. Sure big Hadouken's are great but against combo specials its nothing. It lacks a good range of characters and by saying that I mean the new ones. The original characters from street fighter are great!
That is all.
#10  November 26, 2007, 08:38:00 pm
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
DOA and Mortal Kombat are definitely up there.

At my school we have a free "Ultra-cade" machine, street fighters 2 Champions edition is the most used thing on there *almost half in thanks to me >.>* but some people insist mortal Kombat is better. The funny part is I don't play mortal Kombat and I still beat those jokers since MK1 you can use the same general strategy with every character as if they were the same!

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#11  November 26, 2007, 08:51:50 pm

My messed up private mugen!
#12  November 26, 2007, 10:04:59 pm
  • mm music
just 1 person on mugen can make over the course of some time more varied characters and thats without digitization technique stuff =p

I have many names, 

#13  November 26, 2007, 11:40:57 pm
    • area91.garycxjk.com
Technically just an action game, but Super Smash Bros. series.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love Super Smash Bros., I'll be first in line to buy this game, but after three games, the revolutionary thing wears off. Not even a Final Smash can save the game from that.

Because, It's Midnite
#14  November 27, 2007, 12:42:37 am
Easily Mortal Kombat.  3 awful 3d games in a row and still manages to top the charts.
#15  November 27, 2007, 12:57:08 am
Technically just an action game, but Super Smash Bros. series.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love Super Smash Bros., I'll be first in line to buy this game, but after three games, the revolutionary thing wears off. Not even a Final Smash can save the game from that.

Must... try... not... to... argue... opinion...
#16  November 27, 2007, 03:07:15 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Smash Bros, Tekken, VIrtua Fighter.
#17  November 27, 2007, 06:19:19 am
Tekken, and Smash Bro's.

Both are fun, don't get me wrong, but both aren't the greatest games ever, and neither should be played competitively, due to how crazy the tiers are.
"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#18  November 27, 2007, 07:06:27 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
I think Street fighter is over rated... simply because it lacks what kof has AWESOME desperation moves. Sure big Hadouken's are great but against combo specials its nothing. It lacks a good range of characters and by saying that I mean the new ones. The original characters from street fighter are great!
That is all.
Without the street fighter series, there would be no sane people around  :o
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#19  November 27, 2007, 09:14:50 am
  • mm music
That is all.

I'd have killed them all  >:D

I have many names, 

#20  November 27, 2007, 05:29:20 pm
  • SNK is life
Virtua Fighter.

And KOF 2002 because it was ugleh (or how I like to call it - KOF 98 EX PLUS)
#21  November 27, 2007, 10:23:34 pm
Oh, one other thing: I don't like Street Fighter II, or at least any version of it I've played. I know it was necessary for the evolution of the fighting genre, and I applaud it for that, but I don't understand why people still play it over the things further ahead in fighting evolution (I'm talking about universal improvements, like super moves, dodges, running, etc, not one-game gimmicks that may/may not be improvements).
#22  November 28, 2007, 06:01:41 am
  • If only I had my rainbow star back -_-
    • www.myspace.com/honest_luke
That is all.

I'd have killed them all  >:D

run for your lives!!!  :o
It's true that if you own a PS3 then all arguments made by those who don't have one are invalid.
#23  November 28, 2007, 09:56:31 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Oh, one other thing: I don't like Street Fighter II, or at least any version of it I've played. I know it was necessary for the evolution of the fighting genre, and I applaud it for that, but I don't understand why people still play it over the things further ahead in fighting evolution (I'm talking about universal improvements, like super moves, dodges, running, etc, not one-game gimmicks that may/may not be improvements).
- Because the gameplay is very simple yet very solid. No need for all the flushy effects and one thousands system strategies if you have a simple yet efficient gameplay. Why do people still play Bare Knuckles 2 or Bomberman nowadays ?
- Because it reminds us of good old days, when we were kids.
#24  November 28, 2007, 04:53:57 pm
  • corner push pusher

+1. It's a good game but SF2's AI is cheap as hell.

vin response to the quote above:
- Because it reminds us of good old days, when we were kids.

The only thing it reminds me of is me achieving the olympic sport controller chucking because of the cheap AI constantly handing me my ass on a silver-plate.

Soul Calibur II and MVC2 also overrated.