YesNoOk

SNK's Saving Grace: King Of Fighters XI (Read 9864 times)

Started by Kensuke, December 18, 2007, 02:58:22 pm
Share this topic:
SNK's Saving Grace: King Of Fighters XI
#1  December 18, 2007, 02:58:22 pm
  • Kyosuke + Ky Kiske = Kensuke?
With the upcoming or current release of CS-NGBC and the already CS-KOFXI

I Think a welcome back of SNK is in order.

Welcome Back SNK.

Thanks for not Fucking up this time.  :sugoi:
~Ultimate Kensuke of the True Lightning~

Real Bout High School Battle

Coming.....soon....
Re: SNK's Saving Grace: King Of Fighters XI
#2  December 18, 2007, 03:04:05 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Uhm, what?
#3  December 18, 2007, 03:30:51 pm
  • Kyosuke + Ky Kiske = Kensuke?
IMHO

The King of fighters series had gotten progressively worse, that and SNKs horrible albiet not completely their fault decision to release most of their ports on the X-Box instead of PS2 seemingly killed them in my eyes.

They have done a marvelous job of reviving the image of KOF as of late in my eyes with the console releases of KOF XI and NGBC,  actually on the PS2! In America no less!!!
~Ultimate Kensuke of the True Lightning~

Real Bout High School Battle

Coming.....soon....
#4  December 18, 2007, 09:18:14 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The King of fighters series had gotten progressively worse
I think your "honest opinion" is just that, not a fact and also, pretty stupid.
Progressively worse? (You're obviously talking out of your ass!) Sorry, but maybe you're mixing up SNK with Sega-Sammy and Arc System works with the crap they've been pulling in Guilty Gear lately?

The only "Black sheep" has been 2003 (And even so, it made more changes to the franchise than all the Guilty Gear rehashes mixed together) everything else has been pretty damn good, so your "Saving Grace" comment is null, invalid and pretty much unexistant...I mean, fuck, KoF XI has been out for a long time.
#5  December 18, 2007, 10:08:39 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I liked 2k3. It had a nice story to it. I realise the tagging wasn't really useful but it DID pave the way for XI's much improved tagging system. LDM's aren't a patch on SDMs but were nevertheless novel.

I felt the boss was good too, difficult, but not so hard a new player couldn't get a handle on him with some practice. Aside from his visible DM he had nothing that was really death. Unlike Rugals extended juggles and other bosses ick.

Probably the only failing in XI that i've found was Magaki. He looked too wierd for how strong he was. He felt like 4 hits and you're dead. As a whole though, intensely fun if occasionally frustrating while doing the challenges (3 to go woohoo)

XII claims to be redoing all the old sprites. REALLY waiting for this as i'd love to see how they're changed. If they're still pure 2d i'm hoping for either Hi res or the MotW level of detail and shading. MotW sprites were really nice.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#6  December 18, 2007, 10:23:27 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I have to say that when KOF95 came out for PS1 I thought it was one of the best fighters for a long time.

It wasn't until I imported KOF97 for Sega Saturn when I finally got to play a new KOF. I didn't really like the way they changed stuff at the time. So many of my favorite characters were different. It wasn't until I got into MUGEN back in 2000 that I started understanding what SNK was doing with their games.

After I started understanding fighting games more and really playing them (not just "playing them") I finally started appreciating the changes. Some people hate change. Look at SF3. Oh god all new characters! I loved that game when it came out!

Sometimes people are just biased against the change and hate the games before they even give them a chance. That is the only thing I could think of that would justify Kensuke saying the series is getting worse.

They are much more fun to play now! 
#7  December 21, 2007, 05:52:28 am
both gamespot and ign gave the game an 8+ score

My messed up private mugen!
#8  December 21, 2007, 01:02:37 pm
KOF series hasn't been going downhill at all. Ports are actually mostly on PS2 (2k0, 2k1, NW, 2k3, XI are on PS2, unsure about 2k2 though but since NW is just a remixed 2k2 I guess they could pass that up). But why do you need ports when you have emulators? Aside from the newer games that aren't on the NeoGeo (XI, NGBC ... which both made their way to the PS2 anyway), everything else is emulated.

2k2 was a great game (never noticed until recently), 2k3 not as great as 2k2 but still has its good points, XI is alright but it doesn't deserve THAT much credit. I found XI sort of annoying, especially the damage dampening in general (no, not just the combo dampening) and the juggles.

XI is very fun, and I was happy that K' wasn't below average or just average compared to the rest of the cast (prior to 2k3) or too strong (2k3), but a solid contender. I was also happy that Kyo finally gets the credit he deserves ever since '98 since he's very good in XI. But in the end, it all comes down to Kula, Gato and Oswald. Those characters wrecked XI, period. Of course, you can always play for fun since the tagging system is *thumbs up* ... but still having in mind no matter how good you get, any Kula/Gato/Oswald team will hand your ass back to you.

So if I play KOF nowadays, I play '98 or 2k2.
#9  December 21, 2007, 03:45:49 pm
XII claims to be redoing all the old sprites. REALLY waiting for this as i'd love to see how they're changed. If they're still pure 2d i'm hoping for either Hi res or the MotW level of detail and shading. MotW sprites were really nice.

Nope, it's going to be 2.5D like Street Fighter EX IV.
#10  December 21, 2007, 04:32:56 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
If you mean that the KOFs were going down because of the 3D ones, I actually enjoyed 2006, so I dunno what you're talking about. I still haven't played XI though, so yeah!
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#11  December 21, 2007, 05:33:48 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Nope, it's going to be 2.5D like Street Fighter EX IV.

i still don't know who or where was that rumour starter, since i don't remember reading that in any half serious gaming site.
#12  December 21, 2007, 06:44:42 pm
  • Chicks dig me. (SDS Overfiend is the Gamertag)
    • wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html
IMHO

The King of fighters series had gotten progressively worse, that and SNKs horrible albiet not completely their fault decision to release most of their ports on the X-Box instead of PS2 seemingly killed them in my eyes.

They have done a marvelous job of reviving the image of KOF as of late in my eyes with the console releases of KOF XI and NGBC,  actually on the PS2! In America no less!!!

Full of Fail.

Xbox has NOTHING to do with the KOF dying out. In fact 2D is dying but the Kof Series is still going well if you as me.  IF anything some of the Xbox version of KOF series has a double feature to try to bring in new gamers and so does the PS2 IIRC. You sound Fucking stupid. IF anything WE the gamers failed them.

When the Xbox added online play to these title where was you at?  Wondering if the PS2 was gonna get a KOF.

Not to rant but. KOF Neo Wave, 00,01,02,03 where all re released on Xbox with online capabilities.
I have them so i can say i did my part to try to keep the SNK afloat lol!

The only "Black sheep" has been 2003 (And even so, it made more changes to the franchise than all the Guilty Gear rehashes mixed together) everything else has been pretty damn good, so your "Saving Grace" comment is null, invalid and pretty much unexistant...I mean, fuck, KoF XI has been out for a long time.
I agree.

Take Em to the Cleaners......

i swear, Stupid muthafokkers exist all over this board!
Nonetheless Dickriders get all of the Attention!
Go Figure.
--------------
Yes online Gaming is important........ Who Else are you gonna practice on?
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html

Beta Kagetsura can still be found here.
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/Kagetsura.rar
#13  December 21, 2007, 07:38:12 pm
  • SNK is life
The only thing I found disappointing about 2K2 was that 2K1 had such a rich content, storyline wise. I just... wanted more, things were just getting better!

2K3 was so colorful and rich, and the new promising storyline had it all for me.
The only disappointing thing about it was NOT the new gameplay, but the compromises that had to be made (lower framecount, losing knockdown attacks).

KOF for me it's just swell in everyway. It's great that KOF XI lured many of my friends back to the franchise.
2K3
#14  December 22, 2007, 01:22:23 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Company issues aside, I hated how the axed May-lee, Angel and K9999 out of the story, NO DAMN CLOSURE AT ALL.
Also I absolutely hate the hitsounds in 2K3, I also dislike how they dumbed down the throws and instead of having a unique throw for kick and punch, they just reused the punch one and flipped the animation (Which looks weird)

However, I do like most of the new characters....except Malin (I must admit it, I prefer the overpowered versions of DuoLon and Ash in 2K3 than the extremely dumbed down versions of XI, DuoLon had a reason to be dumbed down, but Ash didn't, the invincibility frames in his special and supers were needed, since he's a charge character)

Chizuru's return was nice, Maki had some nice moves, Adelheid was cool as well, I liked him more than Mukai.
The changes they did to Jhun are unforgivable though, ugly LDM and move list 80% changed? No thanks.
Re: 2K3
#15  December 22, 2007, 01:27:41 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/

You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#16  December 22, 2007, 02:22:49 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
Malin was awesome, whatchoo talkin bout!?
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#17  December 22, 2007, 03:42:42 am
awesome roster in 2k3, very nice stages, R0x new outfits and DMs ie Maxima's SDM, but some combos involving weak attacks got fucked up, and the reactions/behaviors to the hits were totally unpleasant + the hit sounds and the fucking lazyass throws like mentioned before = sounded like you are hitting on sponge or something, so gameplay > gfx
BUT the boss made me gay for it[size=5pt]Hint: not AdelHeidi[/size]

IMO the most accurate hitsounds are in 2k2 (and in some previous KOFs), and the hitsparks are somewhat fitting in pretty well (to fully experience their legendary epic beauty, see K9999's HSDMpreferably used both ways: on a full health opponent AND on a low health last team member opponent), but DM sparks are horrible.

hitsparks in XI are nice looking but just don't fit in, the hitsounds and even DM sounds aren't getting my love either, the new flames are ok but somewhat make the classic flames in XI look flat...but DM sparks are very nice, as well as reworked smooth palettes and improvement of the look of sprites
BUT the boss made me gay for it

if I were to make an SNK style(d) char, I would give it XI guard sparks + 2k2/XI hitsparks (could mix between them as well, either by giving 2k2 sparks palettes of XI's, or by reworking both) + 2k2 hitsounds + XI ground hitsparks + 2k3/XI DM sparks + 2k3 DM sound + some NBC's FX + maybe SVC gameplay

I agree with Siu Wong about the most points, but Oswald was The Char in XI

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
MOTW sprites were really nice and smooth, but the more you look at them, the more you realize how they were fucked up, so you could blame developers for not working more on them. that's the only game that mysteriously confuses me about what's missing and wrong with all the elements...I mean look at the hitsparks, then look at the dust, then look at the backgrounds, and finally! look at Mr.The Legendary Hungry Wolf's head...I mean those last elements are somewhat in real disharmony
there's a lot of stuff that could be betterly done even if it has awesomely awesome projectiles and fx like Gato's kick super and fx in Rock, though the game is still quite solid.

Malin was awesome, whatchoo talkin bout!?
lolwuaaaaat malin? going wuheee wuheeee wuheee all the screen(and beyond !) was hugely pissing off, even more than choi

all in all, changes rox, but not to the point of letting 2D and/or old stuff in KOF2k2 be obsolete [size=5pt]and/but I blame SNK for lowering down the roster from 2k1 to 2k2, for never having Yashiro's team chars in KOFs with striker system, and for having the SVC roster lacking chars that need to be there more than deserve it BUT WAIT! that's what NBC was made for[/size]
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:53:07 am by Blumentopf niggard dmagh ZZAB
Re: 2K3
#18  December 22, 2007, 04:23:11 am
  • Master of Vicodin
However, I do like most of the new characters....except Malin (I must admit it, I prefer the overpowered versions of DuoLon and Ash in 2K3 than the extremely dumbed down versions of XI, DuoLon had a reason to be dumbed down, but Ash didn't, the invincibility frames in his special and supers were needed, since he's a charge character)

Ash? Toned down? Fine, he lost much of his D,U+Kick invincibility... but his offensive side is much improved... better mind game (close weak kick comes to mind), one of the best CD attacks of the game, one of the best LDMs (2k3 one is useless...) and his 2qcf+k is still that good...

Agree with you about Malin and Duolon thought.... his more than "toned down". He can only be actually useful as a leader... and there are a lot of more useful leaders.
#19  December 22, 2007, 05:29:54 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
just one single move can completely dominate the game.
#20  December 22, 2007, 08:10:44 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/