YesNoOk

The slow extinction of 2D fighting games (Read 11079 times)

Started by [(_sourlucas_)]>, November 30, 2007, 07:53:02 am
Share this topic:
Re: The slow extinction of 2D fighting games
#21  December 02, 2007, 02:06:43 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
Why did I say (except mugen)? Because mugen is FAR OFF from reaching a 3D point.

Not just "far off". Mugen will NEVER be a 3D platform.

unless elecbyte returns and recreate MUGEN as a new engine, whose format is completelly incompatible with everything we have today...

oh wait...

just to not be completely off topic:

pure 2D fighting is no more. the best we can hope is 2.5D (3D graphics, 2D gameplay).

#22  December 02, 2007, 03:13:49 am
  • corner push pusher
What's old is new again (i.e., the 80s nostalgia of today). It's all a cycle. I predict 2D gaming will become very popular in the years to come due to the 90s nostalgia lurking ahead. Plus, there will be a breaking point of inflation in shovelware and 3D-gaming.

Trust me, 2D fighting games are gonna come back in a big way. It's just not the right time yet - we still gotta milk out whats left of this 80s fad.
#23  December 02, 2007, 03:25:02 am
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
In general, I think gaming as we know it will die out at between 2015 and 2030, considering costs and if the Mayan end of world thing comes true.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#24  December 02, 2007, 03:31:41 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
What's old is new again (i.e., the 80s nostalgia of today). It's all a cycle. I predict 2D gaming will become very popular in the years to come due to the 90s nostalgia lurking ahead. Plus, there will be a breaking point of inflation in shovelware and 3D-gaming.

Trust me, 2D fighting games are gonna come back in a big way. It's just not the right time yet - we still gotta milk out whats left of this 80s fad.

the 80's were awesome. the 90's were the worst mistake of mankind.  :P

and if the fad worked the way you mean, we would be already playing 2D games, since most of them started on the 80's.

2D fighting is doomed to Cell phones and easily affordable portables. unfortunately.
#25  December 02, 2007, 07:25:20 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.

OZ

#26  December 02, 2007, 11:45:08 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
if the Mayan end of world thing comes true.

The Mayan end of the world occured when Spain obliterated the Mayans.
The Mayans aren't here anymore, so I doubt we have anything to fear.

the 80's were awesome. the 90's were the worst mistake of mankind.
WRONG
We still made good music until the new millineum
And the fashion of the 80's was unforgivable

PS: Try to draw a picture in 2.5 dimension.
ಠ_ಠ
#27  December 02, 2007, 11:47:45 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
My shitty mugen stuff:

OZ

#28  December 03, 2007, 12:08:27 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
#29  December 03, 2007, 05:19:23 pm
if the Mayan end of world thing comes true.

The Mayan end of the world occured when Spain obliterated the Mayans.
The Mayans aren't here anymore, so I doubt we have anything to fear.

I was joking, actually.

PS: Try to draw a picture in 2.5 dimension.

Wtf?
How the hell do you do that?

Draw on tin foil.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#30  December 03, 2007, 05:41:25 pm
  • corner push pusher

2D fighting is doomed to Cell phones and easily affordable portables. unfortunately.

I pray that doesn't happen. The gaming industry already filled my stomach with hatred by doing a follow-up title of Parasite Eve but porting it to cell phones  >:(
#31  December 03, 2007, 05:55:37 pm
  • Garbage Day!
A 2D fighter was the highest selling Gamecube game ever.

GamerTag: Meatball01
#32  December 03, 2007, 05:57:54 pm

I pray that doesn't happen. The gaming industry already filled my stomach with hatred by doing a follow-up title of Parasite Eve but porting it to cell phones  >:(

Oh joy...

At least I can hope it's more like PE2 than PE1. I liked them both but...

...screw it, it's a bad idea.

A 2D fighter was the highest selling Gamecube game ever.

Fighting games on Gamecube isn't that common, last I checked.

What was this game?

Cenobite 53 said:
#33  December 03, 2007, 11:04:02 pm
Smash Bros Melee fucking owns. I still play it regularly, and I got it on release. Literally thousands of hours have gone into Smash Bros on my memory card alone, and I play at friends' houses a lot.
#34  December 04, 2007, 06:56:22 pm
  • Garbage Day!

GamerTag: Meatball01
#35  December 04, 2007, 07:05:28 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
yep..some 3 d fighting games just want to be a Tekken wannabes...like KOF MI(about the long combos issues)....MK only for consoles SUCK like @"(·/T ....and I want to see a Mk like the classics(with actors..)
and 3d games(some of them) suffers with slow motion in the fight..
I think..2d will be back...
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#36  January 04, 2008, 05:25:47 pm
2D fighting games will never die in my opinion. They'll just keep popping up every now and then. Hopefully if a new one does ever come out, it should stick to the spirit of 2d fighting games while making it look really good graphics wise.
#37  January 05, 2008, 05:36:13 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Re: The slow extinction of fighting games
#38  January 06, 2008, 08:23:29 pm
    • www.myspace.com/sparks187
I think KOF XI may have been the last 2D KOF (unless they want to do them on handhelds), but I found KOF 2006 to be fairly close to its 2D origins. It could just be me, though. It's hard to tell whether people want to complain about the fact that it's visually 3D and they miss their sprites or that the game has actually changed significantly (which I don't feel that it has) and for the worse.

The only true 3D fighting game I've played is OMF:BG, although there are probably others by now. Most games claiming to be 3D fighters are just 2D fighters with the occasional sidestep, or even the ability to run freely through some complex procedure, until they decide to start actually fighting again, where the only option is to face them on a 2D plane.
2D Fighters will never die.... ;P not when there are a bunch of great games out there:
Melty Blood Act Cadenza Ver.B
KOF XI
Fist Of the North Star a.k.a Hokuto No Ken
P.S snk playmore is making kof XII new sprites new arcade hardware NEW EVERYTHING ;P

OZ

#39  January 07, 2008, 02:19:59 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
It is our job to keep this tradition alive.
Let's not let us down!
ಠ_ಠ
#40  January 07, 2008, 02:25:33 am