YesNoOk

Havent touched MUGEN coding in years, best way for "Getting back into it?" (Read 1823 times)

Started by JudaiZX, January 05, 2018, 05:56:27 am
Share this topic:
Havent touched MUGEN coding in years, best way for "Getting back into it?"
#1  January 05, 2018, 05:56:27 am
  • hecc

So I wasn't exactly sure if this where to go here or MUGEN discussion but....

basically I have not been able to sit down and start creating MUGEN content for a loooong while. I'm wanting to give it another go, but this time I want to do it right.

I want to start from scratch and relearn and not do a half-assed job at things.

I can only hazily remember how to do certain things and I'm not sure what I should start with until I get the hang of getting things to work again...
youre a fucking meme. another borewood. REIWOOD. SHIP CONFIRMED.
I will force feed Dark Pit right into your ass if we ever play on wi fi.
i think this a dark souls of a mugen forums.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Re: Havent touched MUGEN coding in years, best way for "Getting back into it?"
#2  January 05, 2018, 06:00:16 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
Well, practice is the best way.
Just go on, start some personal/closed/private edits with using Mugen Docs (Go to Mugen Class here) to know slightly more about what are you doing.
#3  January 05, 2018, 10:35:21 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
The Code Snippet Archive is a crazy wealth of knowledge.
Because you've done some editing in the past, the most obvious answers wont be obvious to us.
I'd read the entirety of the HitDef in mugen class. It's long but it'll help kick start your memory. It's probably 20% of what mugen actually IS.

Reading the questions in Dev Help can also help you out. It sounds backwards but that's how I learned most of the stuff. Searching for what you dont know you dont know is impossible. Tricks, mugen class, and dev help should be enough to get you going.

If you're thinking about doing everything fresh, I'd definitely read the hitdef twice. I'd use Fighter Factory 3 to delete ALL of the hitdef except the triggers, and paste a new one under it. Delete the top of the new one, so the original triggers are over the "blank" hitdef. You may want to figure out what "scale" your sparks and sound use. Most will have light, medium, fierce versions. Fill those in, then work on damage and knockback.

I'm not sure how helpful this thread will be, but if you just want a super quick run down of things again,
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/mugen-101-things-you-need-know-169758.0.html
Focus on the links text to see if you need to remember that stuff. Follow the links if you do.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#4  January 05, 2018, 04:34:52 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I pretty much learned MUGEN just to make 1 custom character.  I ended up learning to make a stage, too.

I had my success by finding Fighter Factory 3, opening up a character and getting my feet wet by just replacing some sprites, creating some new anims, etc.  Just screwing around with the program to get a feel for what does what.

I also flipped through these docs, to commit to memory what code is available to make things happen.
On demand, I learned the intricacies of each controller and trigger.  Create a MUGEN bookmark folder in your browser, and bookmark important documents for quick reference.

Elecbytes Introdocution Page which includes links to the following important ones...
CNS format (important to understand)
State Controller Reference
Trigger Reference

HitDef is one of the last state controllers I tried fully grasping.  I used very rough placeholder HitDefs at first.
Later on, I worked on all HitDefs - I felt it was more efficient to be working "in HitDef mode" once, rather than bounce back and forth between the other stages of development.

Try figuring out stuff on your own - searching for answers on your own, studying characters's data, coding, etc. You'll actually learn stuff and everything will become much easier as you go.  Ask questions here when you are truly stumped.

MOST IMPORTANT: BACKUPS.  MAKE LOTS OF BACKUPS, IN MULTIPLE LOCATIONS, CONSTANTLY.