YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] AP Sprite thread (Read 19686 times)

Started by Ryūku Tsukuyomi, July 19, 2014, 07:44:06 am
[Theme Thread] AP Sprite thread
#1  July 19, 2014, 07:44:06 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Post any and all AP styled edits/original sprites in this thread.

AP Means Animation Perfect, which simply means following the shading and body properties of said anime. For instance Dragon Ball their heads tend to be bigger than normal. The whole style in general is inspired by CVS, most of it's basic principles for shading and body proportions.
The style was created by Roken and it can be seen in Neocide's Dragon Ball Allstars game. It's also used for his Bleach solo projects.

Here is a few example of AP styled sprites:

Both were made by me.

Each anime's AP style can be unique to their anime, but also fit with the other sprites in the same style as you can see with my two example sprites.

Neocide's guide to make an AP styled sprite:
Anime Perfect is a "Faux Style" Version of CvS(Capcom vs snk) it
simplifies the shading and drops the color depth a little; cvs uses roughly
5 for clothes  and 4 for skin and accessories while DBAP uses 4 for clothes and 3 for skin and up to 3 for accessories (except
in special situations)
Spoiler: Samples (click to see content)
I would say though the biggest distinction for anime perfect for all styles, is the heads.
This is a essential to the style itself, it can be a pain to get them right,but it makes a huge
difference.  This is universal though, all AP sprites in general should put a lot
of detail into trying to get as accurate as you can to the face.
Spoiler: here's a few examples of different faces from a good portion of people (click to see content)

That's about it I think. it's pretty simple to get into with characters with Gi, as imo that's probably the easiest thing to edit for anyone. The most difficulty I have had outside of shirtless people (I probably will never be able to fix up this tien sheet...)  Is unique situations, like cell's armor and wings I eventually figured it out, but it was tricky at first.

As for the other "AP" styles Bleach and naruto are a little different to DB's, As it should be. For the most part the foundation is always the same The color depth can vary between anime's. I'm not going into those though because outside of bleach and naruto the others would need to be "discovered" or created before we can even talk about them.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:36:05 am by AlexSin
Re: [Theme Thread] AP Sprite thread
#2  July 19, 2014, 12:37:44 pm
Original first post:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Added to the Master List.

You might have seen these before, but in case you didn't, here they are:

(based on Ryūku Tsukuyomi's Buu)
Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:37:08 am by AlexSin
#3  July 19, 2014, 01:19:34 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Something like this?

^old sprite btw

I mean in term of numbers of tones per color.
#4  July 19, 2014, 03:31:02 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Something like this?

^old sprite btw

I mean in term of numbers of tones per color.
The number of shades can vary from 2 to 4, so I guess you only gotta give this one CVS shading and it should look fine.

On other news, I finished this yesterday:

Why this crazy color separation on the socks? well its to allow the use of Zettai Ryouiki. I only made it possible to use 3 types of Zettai Ryouiki because doing the 3 other ones would be pointless considering nobody in Madoka Magica use them.

Here is a couple of examples of what you can do with this color separation:

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:37:29 pm by Ryūku Tsukuyomi
#5  July 20, 2014, 06:14:12 pm
  • The Modern Mystical Ninja
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc
    • sites.google.com/view/ganbarelucifermugensite/

This works?
"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#6  July 20, 2014, 09:43:20 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Yes, but the hair would need less colors and his proportions need work but I assume this sprite isn't done yet.

Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:49:53 pm by Ryūku Tsukuyomi
#7  July 21, 2014, 12:28:36 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
#8  July 21, 2014, 09:51:54 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
echi!
#9  July 22, 2014, 06:06:23 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
#10  July 22, 2014, 06:23:28 pm

This is a bit old.

Big thanks to Dark Roken for the base sprite.
#11  July 25, 2014, 03:22:53 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#12  July 25, 2014, 03:24:34 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Sweet jesus, this is so perfect! I wish that guy would do full sheets of Jotaro and DIO.  :sugoi:

Time for some Dragon Ball stuff:

This was made a couple of months ago by me and Neocide. (he made the head)

Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:33:17 am by Ryūku Tsukuyomi
#13  July 25, 2014, 03:28:40 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
yeah i hope to if I remember he is currently working on Kinikuman
#14  July 25, 2014, 05:06:20 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
that head look odd but dang those are some pretty nice shaded muscles
#15  July 27, 2014, 07:57:37 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon

Was about time I try some JoJo's myself.

#16  July 27, 2014, 06:29:07 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
awesome work dood hope you make more
#17  August 01, 2014, 03:07:42 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Some more JoJo's with ZA WARUDO!

Together with DIO.

#18  August 01, 2014, 03:18:02 pm
    • keroroseed00@hotmail.fr
daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnn <3
#19  August 05, 2014, 01:58:51 am
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Okey so i tried again with something:

Was a request from DeviantArt for someone OC i used Yui Narukami (Cue he looked similar) from Persona 4 Arena as base sprite and took reference from CVS Rugal(Jacket) and CVS Kyosuke (Pants)
#20  August 05, 2014, 05:22:12 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
The sword and the shirt might need a bit work but overall its decent, nice job.

#21  August 05, 2014, 11:34:52 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
The sword and the shirt might need a bit work but overall its decent, nice job.

Thanks!
Maybe could have used Hoamaru (spelled right?) to know how a sword should be made with that shading but for how the shirt goes i have no idea.

#22  August 10, 2014, 10:38:15 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
yo guys , ryuku pointed me out towards this thread and I want to make a few questions to see if i understand this.
So the rules are, far as i can tell, cvs shading with anime proportions.

So far from what im watching I dont get how those are all the same style because their canvas size is always different.

even the dios are shaded differently but yet both are still Anime perfect style?
Krilin looks like he is shin butoden sized, but that game didnt have show sizes in mind( short characters were way bigger)
That anime girl is almost taller than zarbon, and zarbon is way shorter than dio even tho he towered over everyone in his show.

show proportional krilin would be shorter too considering he was around goku waist size ( butoden and etc went over this by making him as tall as goku shoulders so they had more canvas space)
Usually a style means you can put things side by side and they fit, im not really seeing this here.  sorry for all the questions.
#23  August 10, 2014, 11:51:53 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon

#24  August 10, 2014, 01:05:35 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

If she's as tall as vegeta, zarbon needs to be a head taller?

What are the shading and size rules of thumb?
#25  August 10, 2014, 01:21:16 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

It's Animation perfect not fanart perfect it goes by the actual anime's sizes, not random sizes some fan decided to do to line everyone up for.

#26  August 10, 2014, 02:35:29 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Neo, I thought that image was official. But zarbon is still taller in all official pictures.
Look I keep getting answers to everything except what im asking about:   The shading and the canvas .

Best explanation so far was the one you gave me via skype about the three shades thing and it being shin butoden with expanded shading, but dio and krilin are still on a complete different shading and stylistic level.

Would Daeron's Finn be considered AP? Would Magus batman? are they excluded because shading is not cvs?  Is waru's yoko AP? What about Youkai mugen characters( that were made using cel style like sbutoden) ?

I really dunno since its so vaguely defined. I guess i will stop asking now and "go home".
#27  August 10, 2014, 04:41:05 pm
Unlocked. This was locked for some strange reason. Next time I would like an explanation before a topic gets locked.

Iced, most of the things you're saying are right:
Best explanation so far was the one you gave me via skype about the three shades thing and it being shin butoden with expanded shading
and I thought it was mainly (not only) for DBZ sprites. Krilin in the first post is okay in my opinion.

And why did you stop asking? It's true maybe we didn't define the style perfectly like how Capcom or SNK did with theirs, but we can try. And I consider Neocide's work (that you can see in the DB full game pages) to be valid examples of this style.

The lightsource is in front of them (think it like in Super Butouden or Shin Butouden or even the KoF games).

-Would Daeron's Finn be considered AP?
-Would Magus batman?
-are they excluded because shading is not cvs?
-Is waru's yoko AP?
-What about Youkai mugen characters (that were made using cel style like sbutoden)?
-No, he isn't.
-No.
-Yes. But actually the shading is not CvS in the Animation Perfect style either, it is similar but the lightsource is different.
-No.
-No, they aren't either. They are actually too big, and the shading is sloppy, not to mention the faces come from the anime and were resized, so no, they aren't AP styled.
Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:32:38 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#28  August 10, 2014, 06:06:41 pm
is this ap

because the size is way off compared to any of the dbz sprites posted here
#29  August 10, 2014, 06:12:48 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon

#30  January 18, 2015, 01:38:03 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Sorry for the necro but i would like to have some feedback on my Magician red sprite

this is my first conversion in this style. I may need to change the color
Feedback and critic are welcome
#31  January 18, 2015, 02:03:59 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
First of all, your post isn't a necro because you actually posted something relevant to the type of topic (in this case, a sprite theme thread) :)
Now about Avdol's Stand, It looks great from my POV, but I don't think it's AP, though. It looks more Garou or CvS from my POV, unless I'm a total retard....

Keep it up! ;)
This is a generic forum signature.
#32  January 19, 2015, 01:10:49 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
thx, I think the size may be wrong but i would like to have feedback from someone who is used to this style
thx again for the comment
#33  July 30, 2018, 12:19:23 pm
  • You, my friend, are weak.
These are a "little" sloppy but I'll post here anyway
This post probably hasn't got any love because the style could be confusing for some. I haven't all the way nailed it but I'm getting lessons lol. Hopefully my post doesn't get trashed, we need this to stay alive.
#34  July 30, 2018, 09:55:28 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
After working with this "style" for about 7 years.I can't really 100% call it a style but more "rules" to follow for different archtype. So I'll try to explain the rules for Dragonball (I essentially have the rules for bleach naruto and Db) so lets see:

DRAGONBALL AP GUIDELINES:

Light source - comes from the upper right like most typical 2d fighting games.
Shading style: For the most part DBAP follows cvs(Capcom vs SNK) shading rules. 4 shades on clothes, 3 for everything else. Thin lines for outlining(1 pixel wide)

Size: For DBAP they'll be at cvs size if not a little bigger.
Faces should have a good amount of detail and distiction.
Funny enough the heads really add the final touch to "anime perfect"
Anti aliasing is very big in giving the AP "style" it's appropriate look.

I'm at work atm so I'll update this with more info. And samples.

-Edit So itsuchi KS I think your biggest issue with your frame is anti aliasing.Also the skin. Those two are the biggest issues. The face is close though.
Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:48:51 pm by Neocide
#35  July 31, 2018, 02:35:48 am
Tutorials and like examples would be great for those of us that really like anime and want to do anime projects or even collab with one another on anime projects and or characters. I dont think the MUGEN or Open Bor communities have enough anime characters in general...well chibi maybe but not real sized characters that ACTUALLY look like their TV SHow or Movie counterparts. Oh, and what I ment by "like examples" is Im spriting an Adult Gohan and posted him here. I know he's missing something but like I said, I started him 3 years ago and restarted like a month or so ago and I thought I had the style down but I don't so a "like: example would REALLY help me perfect him and any others I sprite. I use images and animations from film and different games to do my sprites THAT'S why I thought I was doing this right lol. I was going after the Ultimate Battle 22 look actually
Re: [Theme Thread] AP Sprite thread - The edit Edition
#36  July 31, 2018, 03:03:52 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Anime Perfect is a "Faux Style" Version of CvS(Capcom vs snk) it
simplifies the shading and drops the color depth a little; cvs uses roughly
5 for clothes  and 4 for skin and accessories while DBAP uses 4 for clothes and 3 for skin and up to 3 for accessories (except
in special situations)
Spoiler: Samples (click to see content)
I would say though the biggest distinction for anime perfect for all styles, is the heads.
This is a essential to the style itself, it can be a pain to get them right,but it makes a huge
difference.  This is universal though, all AP sprites in general should put a lot
of detail into trying to get as accurate as you can to the face.
Spoiler: here's a few examples of different faces from a good portion of people (click to see content)

That's about it I think. it's pretty simple to get into with characters with Gi, as imo that's probably the easiest thing to edit for anyone. The most difficulty I have had outside of shirtless people (I probably will never be able to fix up this tien sheet...)  Is unique situations, like cell's armor and wings I eventually figured it out, but it was tricky at first.

As for the other "AP" styles Bleach and naruto are a little different to DB's, As it should be. For the most part the foundation is always the same The color depth can vary between anime's. I'm not going into those though because outside of bleach and naruto the others would need to be "discovered" or created before we can even talk about them. Also Itsuchi KS pm me for more info on Gohan, or @ me in my progress thread, and I'll go over his info there.

Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:06:47 am by Neocide
#37  August 01, 2018, 07:29:49 pm
Had trouble with the shoes because the had glitched when I changed the colors in Photoshop
Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:35:51 pm by Itsuchi KS