YesNoOk

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sprites by HyperSonic w/edits by SeanAltly & Snakebyte) (Read 128569 times)

Started by Sean Altly, February 25, 2013, 07:39:58 pm
Share this topic:
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sprites by HyperSonic w/edits by SeanAltly & Snakebyte)
New #1  February 25, 2013, 07:39:58 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

So, I'm working on Sonic the Hedgehog, one of the poll winners from the very beginning of this project.

Obviously Sonic will be fast, and he'll have relatively low stamina. He'll have a mix of traditional gameplay elements as well as an Item Box system, explained below. He also runs both directions, as in, instead of a back dash/hop, he runs back. This Sonic is based mostly on Sonic 1 through 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, except for the inclusion of the homing attack he gained in the 3-D games.

The sprites are by HyperSonic, who mainly operates at MugenMultiverse. Snakebyte did some edits, and then I touched them up quite a bit to make them match the sprites of CvTW.

Screens (LOTS):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

MOVESET

UNIQUE TACTIC

-Item Box - S Button
   -Sonic jumps up and an item box appears. The item he gets is random (though some are rarer than others). Some items give Sonic access to new abilities and special moves. The different items and their effects are described at the end of this move list.

COMMAND MOVES

Spin Attack - Press D during forward run
   -Just like in the Sonic games! Press D while running to transition into a spinning ball attack.

Insta-Shield - D+HP in air
   -Sonic's attack introduced in Sonic 3. Very brief attack frame, but complete invincibility during the active frame and absorbs projectiles.

SPECIAL MOVES

-Spin Dash - QCF+P, mash P for Extra Hits
   -Sonic does his classic spin dash attack. Pressing P several times at the beginning makes Sonic rev up more, which adds hits and distance to the dash.

-Sonic Slash - DP+K
   -Sonic performs a quick anti-air Spin Attack. Got the idea from MugenHunter's version of Sonic.

-Homing Attack - DP+P (on the ground) or QCF+P (in the air)
   -Sonic performs his Homing Attack. The name is a litttle misleading however. The HP version is a true Homing Attack, but has more start-up and recovery than the LP version. The LP version has less start-up and recovery, but travels at a set angle (and thus doesn't really home in on the opponent).

-Light Speed Dash - HCB+HK
   -Sonic dashes very quickly from one side of the screen to the other, and if he passes by a non-guarding opponent, they are momentarily dizzied. This is primarily to give Sonic an opportunity to use an Item Box since it can be hard to fidn time in the heat of battle.

-Light Speed Loop - HCB+LK
   -Sonic dashes back, up and around the screen to the other side. Strictly a teleport-type of move.

SUPER MOVES

L1 - Sonic Spinball (aka Maximum Sonic) - QCF+S
   -Sonic bounces wildly all over the screen (mostly in back-and-forth horizontal motions). When he hits the walls, you hear the pinball sound effect. Very useful super, but sometimes does unreliable damage due to the random nature of the bounces.

L1 - Item Super - QCB+S
   -Several of Sonic's items give him access to a new Super Move. Explained below. Using your Item Super uses up the item.

L1 - Blue Tornado - RDP+S
   -Sonic spins around so fast that he creates a big vortex that sucks in his opponent.

L3 - Super Sonic - DP+S
   -Sonic turns into Super Sonic, flies backwards off screen, and delivers a huge dashing attack. Much like Bison's Final Psycho Crusher from SFA3.

ITEM BOX SYSTEM

-Normal Shield - 25% Chance
    -One absorbed physical hit, or one projectile. Slight attack power boost on all normals.
        -SPECIAL MOVE - None
        -SUPER MOVE - Shield Burst - A lot like Skullomania's Skullo Energy attack. Sonic makes the Shield burst outwards.

-Fire Shield - 25% Chance
   -Absorbs 1 physical hit, 2 projectiles. Slight attack power boost on all normals.
        -SPECIAL MOVE - Fire Dash - QCF+K in mid-air
              -Quick, powerful torpedo-like attack.
        -SUPER MOVE - Inferno Dash - Does a stronger, longer version of Fire Das, however, this can be done in the air OR on the ground.

-Bubble Shield - 20% Chance
    -Absorbs 1 physical hit or 1 projectile. Slight attack power boost on all normals.
         -SPECIAL MOVE - Bubble Bounce - D,D+K in mid-air
               -Sonic descends quickly with a bounce attack. Will hit downed opponents. Low damage, but can be done repeatedly.
         -SUPER MOVE - Bubble Blitz - Much like Sonic Spinball, but bounces vertically rather than horizontally and can hit downed opponents.

-Lightning Shield - 10% Chance
   -Gives Sonic a double jump. Absorbs 1 physical hit or 2 projectiles. Will attract random rings from off-screen that restore a small portion of Sonic's health.
         -SPECIAL MOVE - Electric Arch - QCF+K
               -Sonic jumps at an arch, leaving a trail of electricity in his wake.
         -SUPER MOVE - Electric Orb - Sonic shoots off the shield like a projectile.

-10 Rings - 10% Chance
    -Restores a small portion of Sonic's health. No other benefits.

-Dr. Robotnik Box - 5% Chance
    -Damages Sonic for a small amount. Can't kill him, though.

-Invincible Stars - 4.9% Chance
    -Gives Sonic 5 seconds of total invulnerability. Can't perform supers during. No other benefits.

-Extra Life - 0.1% Chance
    -Restores ALL of Sonic's health. Super, super rare. If it proves to be a game-breaker, I'll remove it.

Anyway, that's the plan right now. A lot of this is already done, but I'm open to ideas. However, I'd really like to stay away from any abilities/weirdness they did in the 3-D games (Werehogs, swords, etc.). I should have a video up soon as well.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:59:37 pm by Sean Altly
Re: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sprites by HyperSonic w/edits by SeanAltly & Snakebyte)
#2  February 25, 2013, 07:47:26 pm
  • Hey!
    • USA
    • http://mugencoder.com/authors/view/napoleonjonamite
This looks like it's gonna be very awesome when it's completed. If you go with the "big attack" version of the Super Sonic move, it'd be fairly similar to his Final Smash in Brawl (That is, if I'm reading that correctly).
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
#3  February 25, 2013, 07:47:38 pm
L3 - Super Sonic - DP+S
   -Sonic turns into Super Sonic. Undecided on whether this will be a transformation type of move, or whether it will just be a big attack where he turns back into normal Sonic at the end. Depends on the sprites available.
i think this might be workable as a transformation with relatively low effort if you made a different standing animation (maybe a different, floaty walk too) and just changed the palette for everything else.
#4  February 25, 2013, 07:56:00 pm
Hahaha! Thanks for the credit man, I wasn't trying to creditwhore in the slightest when I said that, I was just surprised to see it here. The only idea I had is a Maximum Spider style multi-homing-attack hyper, but the Spinball one is too similar. Can't wait to see this one in action!
#5  February 25, 2013, 07:57:34 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
yea if you wanted to make him a completely transformation character.what titiln said would work perfect.  but if you go the way of doing a super sonic super I wouldn't mind helping spriting the actual super sonic sprites.

hell if you do titiln's way I'd still wouldn't mind doing some of his super sonic sprites.
#6  February 25, 2013, 08:12:35 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Would you have the sprites to incorporate some variety of headstomp like Chun-Li's? considering aside from spinning into enemies, he also uses this method to traditionally hurt enemies in his source games.

That aside, overall very cool moveset, can hardly wait til he's finally ready :D

DW

#7  February 25, 2013, 08:45:30 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
i think this might be workable as a transformation with relatively low effort if you made a different standing animation (maybe a different, floaty walk too) and just changed the palette for everything else.

That could work. Or, an idea I had was to make it work like a semi-controllable Final Psycho Crusher like move. Having Super Sonic fly back and forth about 4-5 times, while holding up or down during his flight attacks could alter his pattern dependent on which direction you're holding of course. Essentially in SSBB, this is all you'd do anyway when you get a Final Smash orb with him. Fly back and forth, knocking people off the stage. I feel though for a MUGEN standard, he shouldn't have full control. That'd make it sorta cheap. Not travel as fast as Bison's FPC, but just like that move, he can't stop his forward momentum. He'd also be completely invulnerable during it, so, I think that would balance it out very well. Just another route you may be willing to take and you'd only need a flying animation really.

I really like the custom moveset you have here. Very creative. IDK if you'd be willing to or not, just another idea. Sonic's dive kick in SSBB(D+attack in air) was a very useful and potent attack. That'd be cool if you were to incorporate that in. IDK if he has that kick anim in the sprites you have though... And you may not be willing to sprite it, which is fine. Just another suggestion you may consider.

Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:51:22 pm by C-VirusWolf
#8  February 25, 2013, 08:46:39 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Would you have the sprites to incorporate some variety of headstomp like Chun-Li's? considering aside from spinning into enemies, he also uses this method to traditionally hurt enemies in his source games.
That wouldn't require new sprites since he curls up into a ball in the games. Unless they spinning sprite is different from his jumping sprite?
#9  February 25, 2013, 08:57:56 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
#10  February 25, 2013, 08:59:01 pm
You should add the shoe box to the item box system... if he gets the shoe, he moves MUCH faster momentarily.. able to dodge and use attacks quicker than normal

The special or super move could be him running around the opponent really fast and leaving the opponent dizzy or perhaps in a mini tornado or something
#11  February 25, 2013, 09:00:32 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
quick question why am isn't the level 3 super supposed to be the unlimited colors super from sonic colors? are you trying to follow the traditional 2d games or something
#12  February 25, 2013, 09:01:56 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Dude.. you should like make it Hyper Sonic...
#13  February 25, 2013, 09:02:51 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
i get it, he hasn't found the sprites for the wisps from sonic colors
#14  February 25, 2013, 09:10:03 pm
quick question why am isn't the level 3 super supposed to be the unlimited colors super from sonic colors? are you trying to follow the traditional 2d games or something
However, I'd really like to stay away from any abilities/weirdness they did in the 3-D games
i hate you drewski
#15  February 25, 2013, 09:14:45 pm
  • Hey!
    • USA
    • http://mugencoder.com/authors/view/napoleonjonamite
^It's okay, a lot of people are graduating illiterate.
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
#16  February 25, 2013, 10:37:20 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Love the moveset. :)
This 0.1% stuff is game-breaking on its own, but it's so rare it's to be considered a sort of bonus stuff rather than a real gameplay feature. It's not like you could count on it "reliably" to save you.
#17  February 25, 2013, 10:59:40 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Both those things are pretty doable, I think. If I did that with his L3, it'd basically be a L3 version of Sonic Spinball, which I'm okay with. I'd have to look up what his dive kick looks like, I haven't unpacked my Wii since I moved and I don't know if I want to just to see the move. Depending on what it looks like, I may already have sprites for it.

Download Last Bout now!
#18  February 25, 2013, 11:20:41 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
You probably do Sean, if the sprites are adapted from Sonic Battle, I posted the spritesheet above in a spoiler thinking of an example for something else.
#19  February 26, 2013, 03:03:17 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Oh, awesome.  Can't wait to give this guy a whirl when he's finished.

I think Super Sonic should be a transformation super as well, have it last for about 5-10 seconds, giving him a slight attack power increase and making him much faster.
#20  February 26, 2013, 05:45:59 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada

I love the ideas you've got so far for Sonic. Staying true to his roots (+ homing attack) while still managing to be creative with his moves. The item box system is probably my favourite idea you've done for a unique tactic!

You make this Sonic fan very excited! I can't wait to try him!