YesNoOk

Onomatopoeia (Updated 8-5-2014) (Read 19336 times)

Started by Dope, July 13, 2013, 10:09:40 am
Share this topic:
Onomatopoeia (Updated 8-5-2014)
#1  July 13, 2013, 10:09:40 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
Honestly I don't know much about this character other than what I read on the Wikipedia page. He's a villain that collects heros' masks and he appeared in Batman and Green Arrow comics. There's still more that could be done on this character but his gameplay is for the most part complete and plays quite solid in my opinion. Updates may or may not come in the future depending on if the spriter still wishes to sprite more. I know another intro and winpose was planned but it's still yet to be sprited.

Coding by me, sprites by Whiplash and Silva.

Download
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6x7o1u
Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:33:53 am by Dope
Re: Onomatopoeia [Beta]
#2  July 13, 2013, 10:02:26 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Thank you dope for bringing my sprites to life. I still need to finish two animations (win pose and an intro).

However this version is totally playable and you should try him out.
#3  July 14, 2013, 02:10:35 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Great to see new content. I hope to see far more from promising new spriters. :)
#4  July 14, 2013, 02:42:24 am
    • USA
    • yohasakura4@sbcglobal.net
Is this an original character? Sorry I'm not familiar with the series, I had to download it because the sprite work looked amazing.
#5  July 14, 2013, 02:46:58 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
He's a Batman/Green Arrow villain.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:18:28 am by Roman55
#6  July 14, 2013, 10:36:42 am
    • www.ablsearch.com/gamingforum/
Looks awesome will download shortly!
New MUGEN Forum Opened
#7  July 14, 2013, 10:55:29 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
It'd be nice to at least receive some credit in the movelist/readme. Several of these animations are edits of my Detective Laurel sprites.

Download Last Bout now!
#8  July 14, 2013, 10:59:29 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention it to dope who wrote the readme, since I haven't edited anything you made for a while and forgot.

Yes I edited rorscach and garret for a few animations, I've also notified Dope and hopefully he'll edit the readme soon.
Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:21:38 am by -Whiplash-
#9  July 14, 2013, 11:23:50 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
It'd be nice to at least receive some credit in the movelist/readme. Several of these animations are edits of my Detective Laurel sprites.
Sorry, I'll add it now. Like Whiplash said I wrote the read me and I wasn't aware of the edits. I stumbled upon this uncoded character very late into it's spriting progress when it was almost finished already and I was not made aware of said edits. Sorry again.
#10  July 14, 2013, 01:11:10 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
No problem guys.

Download Last Bout now!
#11  July 15, 2013, 04:48:56 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
qcf+K stuns the opponent, which opens for very easy infinites.
qcf+A > s.SK > qcf+A > s.SK, repeat.
#12  July 15, 2013, 06:25:58 pm
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
qcf+K stuns the opponent, which opens for very easy infinites.
qcf+A > s.SK > qcf+A > s.SK, repeat.
I was afraid this was gonna happen. It was the spriter's request that the sniper be a stun move. I'll look into solutions.
#13  July 15, 2013, 06:31:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
make it so that you can only use one once a combo, unable to start one mid any combo whatsoever.
Re: Onomatopoeia (Updated 8-5-2014)
#14  August 06, 2014, 04:33:13 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
Character updated. A year has passed so I took a couple gameplay liberties of my own. Just a couple things I wanted to change that the spriter originally wanted for two of his specials. His Axe Cleave special is now done with qcb instead of being a charge command and his sniper no longer stuns. The sniper is now just a stronger knockback attack compared to his pistol. The light kick version now trips. Also the standing light punch version of his pistol special now trips the opponent and can hit opponents lying on the ground.

I no longer deem this a beta. Simply because I honestly don't know what to do next on this character other than see if the spriter does eventually sprite more intros and winposes. I'm always open to new ideas though. I might create some more intros and winposes of my own using his existing sprites.

Also anyone know of any hurt voice clips that would be fitting for this guy? From what I hear he doesn't talk, he only says sounds like BLAM. Yes he tries to mimic sound effects by saying typical comic book sound effects.
#15  August 06, 2014, 04:45:45 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
hell yes. will be back with some feedback later, this guys been a fave since forever.
#16  August 07, 2014, 08:03:54 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Downloaded. Onomatopoeia isnt the flashiest fighter out there but he's solid. So he's always got a permanent spot with the other DC chars. Any update is welcome.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#17  August 09, 2014, 01:02:15 am
    • USA
    • tsthomas2121@yahoo.com
A very complete DC character which is rare, nice job. The sniper special could use more frames, and also at the end of the beat down hyper the sniper part could last longer.  Also, could use a throw.
Maybe he could do a hyper version of Ax Cleave where he knocks the opponent on the ground and chops them up a bit.

Nice touch with the special intro against Green Arrow.
Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:17:53 am by metamutant
#18  August 11, 2014, 01:38:48 am
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
He can't throw. He has no voice and pretty unfitting soundeffects for blocked attacks (they almost sound more vicious than the actual hits). His AI goes crazy and likes to spam humanly impossible combos (especially kicks, for some reason).
All that and he's no longer considered a beta? Really? --;
#19  August 11, 2014, 02:15:23 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
He can't throw.
Yes I forgot to add his throw(s). That's something I should've done before releasing this update but it slipped my mind. I plan on doing that in the near future.

He has no voice
I already posted the reason to this:
Also anyone know of any hurt voice clips that would be fitting for this guy? From what I hear he doesn't talk, he only says sounds like BLAM. Yes he tries to mimic sound effects by saying typical comic book sound effects.
So he could maybe use some grunts but I was hoping for suggestions on what would be appropriate for a character that is for the most part mute. I'm willing to update this but like I said this guy is not supposed to talk.

and pretty unfitting soundeffects for blocked attacks (they almost sound more vicious than the actual hits).
Will look into it. I have yet to hear anyone else complain yet though.

His AI goes crazy and likes to spam humanly impossible combos (especially kicks, for some reason).
He has no AI coded. This is just random mugen engine behavior for a character that wasn't specifically coded with AI. I'm also one of those many people that feel that AI is not a big deal with a character because it's meant to be played by humans. An AI may come later but I never include it as part of the 100% completion status.

All that and he's no longer considered a beta? Really? --;
"All that" is basically no throw, which not every character has. No voice for a character that's supposed to be mute. Personal preference on blocking sound effects. And no AI which the consensus around here is an ok thing for characters that were meant to be played as not against. Thanks for saying it like that by the way. That's a bit of a rude dickish way of saying that. No offense taken though. But yes his gameplay is for the most part complete and it seems the spriter doesn't have interest at the moment (or at all?) to sprite more. So he is pretty much complete but that does not mean he won't be receiving updates.

at the end of the beat down hyper the sniper part could last longer.
I'll look into it, thanks.

Maybe he could do a hyper version of Ax Cleave where he knocks the opponent on the ground and chops them up a bit.
I don't know, doesn't sound unique enough to me compared to his special version. But I do think he could use another super/hyper.

Onomatopoeia isnt the flashiest fighter out there but he's solid.
Thank you :) My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping to update this character further one day.
#20  August 11, 2014, 08:15:27 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Yeah, I could have worded it differently. Sorry about that. It just sounded as if you considered the character to be finished by now (except for the voice) when he's in fact still lacking things. Small things, sure, but still. And that would make it a beta.

The character does in fact have an AI and a rather bad one at that. That's what I was complaining about. I wouldn't have minded at all if the character lacked AI, but the kick-spam is definitely not standard Mugen behavior. So yeah, that's strange. Maybe it was already part of whatever template you used?

If he's supposed to be mute (or at least uncommunicative), I agree that he probably shouldn't talk, but this complete lack of any voice... eh. Sure, that may be a personal pet peeve of mine, but he doesn't even mimic any soundeffects which, I presume, is pretty much what he's known for. I'm not familiar with the character so I can't make any real suggestions here, but I'm sure a few grunting sounds can't hurt, either.